Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

vista

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: vista

I have been running Vista Business on my main workstation here at work since 10/06, never had any real problems. Of course I have had little issues, but nothing more than I have had to deal with XP. I just recently put my home system on Vista Business since I just upgraded, and yet to have any issues there either. The only Vista system I have had issues with thus far is a new laptop we got, it had 1.5GB RAM and was I think a 2.0 CoreDuo. Took forever to boot or do anything, then I turned off indexing and bam, lightning fast. All my other system are still running with indexing enabled, and faster than lightning mcqueen.

As far as Vista deployments, **** no. Me, my boss, and my brother (the other 1 IT staff here) are running Vista, with the exception of the previously mentioned laptop (which the user is pretty savvy, so I was not concerned) I will not be and have not even considered deploying Vista into my domain. It is different, it is more user friendly, but you need to be familiar and trained on it. As mentioned, its the old 'I don't want to change, I like what I have.' Well boo-fuggin-hoo, everyone bitched and moaned that MS needed to do something better for Windows, and when they do, everyone bitches and cries about the new 'look' and enhancements. If you don't like the look of vista, set it to look like XP; you can do that, just like you could with XP for 98.

As for office 07 and it's 'RIBBON', MS surveyed users about what features they wanted and what should be done. Well, the results? 90% of the feature requests were already there, but no on knew how to use or find them. So MS came up with the dynamic ribbon which basically says, 'here, you selected a table, here are your table options.' It's different, nothing more.

So, for all those that think Vista is so much worse and MS fudged it up, go dl Ubuntu and don't say anything when you run back to Windows because you can't do **** without a learning curve.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrasco

So, for all those that think Vista is so much worse and MS fudged it up, go dl Ubuntu and don't say anything when you run back to Windows because you can't do **** without a learning curve.
**** aint that the truth. Im pretty computer savvy, and Ubuntu was a PITA for me after I got it on to my old thinkpad T20, 650mhz 256 ram, with the hopes it would run faster. It didnt, and it was a b*tch to do anything on. I hate the command line, i hate the zillions of quirky commands that go with it, and I hated how hard it was to customize it to what I wanted, and that was an XP feel. Couldnt do it, and had no reason to really try to learn it because XP gave me few problems other than not running as fast as I wanted on that laptop. Screw *nix fanboys that think "anyone and everyone" can migrate to it. BS!!!

And on the Vista front, I just bought a Gateway laptop with a 2.0ghz CoreDuo and 2GB RAM, and it runs mint. I can run Google Earth w/ 3D buildings like nothing on it, which is pretty much the biggest challenge Im going to give any computer.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on my PC...After it boots I can choose between the two....
RB

Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: FNQuickF2

I run both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on my PC...After it boots I can choose between the two....
RB

How do you have it set up that way? May buy vista soon and dual boot.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Vista is not that bad, its just some of the minor **** that really gets really really ****ing annoying the "Are you sure you want to open 'My Computer'" things. Its a pretty cool OS though. It just proves you have a fairly decent computer to beable to runit like the eye candy version of XP, that takes like 1 gig just to run the damn thing.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 PM

i have to agree with everyone that vista is garbage..unlike xp vista will run slower than **** on a budget pc.... IMO windows 2000 is the best ms has come out with to date, xp is right behind it. Right now I am enjoying running mac osx tiger on my gateway pc , which i can still boot into xp.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Don't have vista but the fiance does. She says there are quirks but most are easily overcome if you use logic. I still use XP b/c I don't have a reason to upgrade.

I do have to buy office 07 here soon. Luckily, I get the entire bundle for 100$ from school. I didn't like office 07 at first, but now that I'm learning it's in and outs, I'm realizing that it is really a lot more fluid, has many more great features, and is more logical than previous versions. It takes time to learn but I'm liking it now.

The only certainties about new software and OS's is that there will be animosity and quirks that you have to learn.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Ahhh, good old Windows2k, have that on molcomputer (desktop) it still runs lol...the parts are about 10 years old and the OS is like 5 i think...bought the computer from someone...then it died...got another one from afriend...laptop, brought it bak to life, it has xp on it lol...i remember not ever liking XP due to im use to 2k, but...jsut to much to work with, if you want your car fixed..take it to a electriction rather then a mehanic.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Vista because it is such a resource hog and ram is expensive. I myself have been tooling around withVista since the Beta versions. It's not so bad once you go in and turn off a majority of the bells and whistles. I like my system to be bare bones and a majority of things set to run manually. My current machine only has 13 processeson start up. I've also gone inand shutdown majority of the services that run under svchost.exe (only 21 services set to start up automatically).I must say, it is nice to hit the power button of your PC and have it up in about fifteen seconds.
Unfortunately I have to start looking into getting a new PC []. My current PC is from 2002 and can't play any of the new games coming out because my video card is only 32 MB. I know... go out and buy another Video card... but this is a lap top.This machine has carried me through college and I've kind of become attached to it. Guess I'll be moving onto Vista soon.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm starting to come around to liking Vista, but certainly initially I hated it after immediately having a bad start. Got a new Sony Vaio for christmas, it came with Vista Home Premium 32-bit, right off the bat the third program I installed crashed the computer and made it impossible to recover. Computer didn't come with any disk with the OS, so I ended up installing the Vista Ultimate 64-bit that I had downloaded a few weeks before. Everything went well until i got impatient with it shutting down, and I shut it down manually which made it unable to boot up. Couldn't recover it and the Vista disk I had couldn't even detect the operating system.

Since that time I've been much more patient with the OS and everything has gone good for the most part. Only real issue I have with it now is the fact that it's harder to find programs that work with it. A few of the games I have won't even run on the system, which can get a bit annoying. Plus I have yet to find a decent internet security program, so i'm running without any security for now aside from nod32.

Oh and one big annoying thing, when I close the lid on my laptop, computer goes into hibernation mode and turns off my wireless even though I have it set to do nothing when i close the lid. It's annoying when i'm trying to download torrents overnight.

Quick Reply: vista