Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

vista

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vista

crapola

i will add that you need lots of memory to run that bitch and its terrible.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love old farts that hate change lol

Sorry guys I have worked with all the mentioned versions. NONE of the previous versions can touch Vista. It is absolutely the BEST OS Microshyt has every put out. Yes XP was good, after 8 years of hotfoxes and 2 service packs, and bout to be a 3rd. Winy2k 4 service packs. Win98 was better than 95 n ME, but ME was a good training tool to learn how to reformat n install. Yes you need to have a computer built since the year 2000 or Vista aint gonna run for shyt. Hell XP dont run right until you install a gig of RAM. Vista does ok with a GB n great with 2GB. People cry n bitched when XP came out. They will bitch n cry now. Alot of it is they dont wanna change/upgrade and especially if they are in IT, because it means they have to stop playing WoW and WORK!!

Dont hate guys. Vista is the best thing Microsoft has done done to date. And office 2007 is right up there with it.

And if you really want a rock solid OS, get FreeBSD or any version of *nix.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Vista. Seemed to run fine after I first installed it, but after a couple weeks, the bootup routines got corrupted. Since I'm running my RAID 0, I couldn't just try booting on the other disk (corruption might have still carried over). This used to be a common issue, but updating my PC after a complete reinstalled seemed to prevent it from occuring again. SP1 will be coming out soon.

Overall I like Vista and it probably does run slower than XP, but I didn't notice because I was upgrading my PC. There's a program that can be downloaded that would remove a lot of the nonsensical crap.

The searching for files is especially fast, but it results in a lot of Hard disk thrashing as it indexes everything.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

I love old farts that hate change lol

Sorry guys I have worked with all the mentioned versions. NONE of the previous versions can touch Vista. It is absolutely the BEST OS Microshyt has every put out. Yes XP was good, after 8 years of hotfoxes and 2 service packs, and bout to be a 3rd. Winy2k 4 service packs. Win98 was better than 95 n ME, but ME was a good training tool to learn how to reformat n install. Yes you need to have a computer built since the year 2000 or Vista aint gonna run for shyt. Hell XP dont run right until you install a gig of RAM. Vista does ok with a GB n great with 2GB. People cry n bitched when XP came out. They will bitch n cry now. Alot of it is they dont wanna change/upgrade and especially if they are in IT, because it means they have to stop playing WoW and WORK!!

Dont hate guys. Vista is the best thing Microsoft has done done to date. And office 2007 is right up there with it.

And if you really want a rock solid OS, get FreeBSD or any version of *nix.
32YO "Old Farts" WTF???

I LOVED XP the minute it came out - loaded a Novell Client on it the minute it was available, all my W2K applications loaded right up - looked close to '98, but added security, - didn't require reboots with every application install (especially AntiVirus), etc. - It was a gem from the start.

My experience with Vista has been limited to 4 different machines.

1. - My P4 1.5Ghz 512MB beast at home running it's Beta 2 (I believe that's what it was) - Ran pretty well - looked great - no big visual improvements (Aero, etc) and ran most of the apps I needed at home - I was pumped for the real release.

2. - IBM Supplied "Loaner" laptop for work with it - First boot took 4+ minutes - yes, I thought that's a first time thing - second boot - still 4+ minutes - WTF??? - It was a dog running nothing other than the core on a nice Dual Core processor with 2GB ram. - Tried doing some work on it - certificate handling is different, and some stupid TLS 1.0 screws up my ability to even use IE7 to remote into work - GARBAGE.

3. - Physician decides he needs a new laptop and wants my help spec'ing it out - XP no longer is available for home users. - I tell him about how slow it was on the demo I had, but he has no choice - I do the "ready boost" thing on the HDD, and load the laptop to the GILLS - $3000 for a Lenovo laptop. - Arrives - Again doesn't run for **** - he has a terrible time trying to get the wireless connecting to his home router - I make several housecalls to try and get his wireless, and our remote access (SSL Browser based) working on it - it takes 3 minutes to load - you turn off the TLS 1.0 and it takes seconds. - STUPID. - In addition - we don't have a "Trusted Certificate" at work and instead use a private organizational certificate - XP allows you to load it and set it as a trusted cert. - Vista will NOT allow that to happen - we try to manually import the cert into the Trusted Roots - no luck - still haven't found a work-around for this one.

4. - Sister purchases a new HP Vista machine - can't even figure out how to get her wireless working at home - try using MSN Messenger to remote to her machine (Over a cabled connection of course) - that apparently doesn't work either. - She complains of performance problems steadily.

Each of these machines have run XP with little or no difficulty. - As far as I know, Novell still hasn't released a Vista client - None of my work apps will load or run on it, - Thank god we run 3-5 years behind releases of OS's there. - Maybe Microsoft will put something worth loading out before we NEED to upgrade due to vendor requirements.

I'm no spring chicken when it comes to OS's, but I have little patience for slow computers any more. - XP is fast - especially on a top of the line computer - Vista is a DOG on pretty much ANYTHING you load it on.
&nb

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM

I run Vista Enterprise on a old pos acer laptop with a 1.6Ghz cpu, shyty vid, 1Gb of RAM. It runs great on it.
I run n have ran since the betas Vista Ultimate on my DeskTop which ha a AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core 2.61Ghz 3GB of RAM and it has ran w/o a hitch for the most part. Windows never has n never will run perfect, even tho they keep 'barrowing' from *nix/Mac etc. Upgrade you hardware n Vista will run fast. Yes it likes RAM. Any OS is. Novel is a wash n lucky its didnt go under. But they have a client for Vista. Why Novell is still use I dunno. Old hardcore ppl who dont wanna let it go I guess. Our college quit teaching it even. Tho its still used there as that how I know Novel has a client for Vista. The schools IT dept has serveral ppl using it daily. But I seen this with XP and see it with Vista. Only things I have had issues with it in on junky machines, or odd ball laptops.

And I am not a mircosoft fan lol. I think windows is shyt compared too FreeBSD n the likes. Definately is no where near as secure lol.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-08-2008, 12:10 AM

I'll give it another go at work - turn off all the Vista "Fun" and see if it's livable - though I'd guess that most of our apps will not run as-is - IE we need to rebuild all the installations - YUCK.

I do like to try to keep an open mind, but you HAVE to agree, the look and feel are entirely different.- Training will be necessary for most business users - home users will just have to hack at it till they figure it out, or just invest in a Vista 'For Dummies' book.

We are trying to get off Novell and onto a MS Domain, but we still use Novell Zenworks Application Launcher to manage installations of applications organization wide. (Medical Park with 3000 workstations, 7 branch locations, 3200 employees) - Novell has been on our fileservers since day 1 - There are some bonuses of being a Novell/Groupwiseshop (Less viruses, somewhat less bugs), some disadvantages (mostly compatibility).

As for new tech - I pushed XP big time when we were rolling W2K - shot down - I said most users will have it at home - the feel will be natural - NO-ONE used W2K at home. - Still shot down - 2 years later, we're upgrading all the W2K units to WXP. - Vista, on the other hand, I'm avoiding like the plague. - at least till we have some apps come in that REQUIRE it. - Poll this one up - my predictions will stand =-)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: mycvil

I'll give it another go at work - turn off all the Vista "Fun" and see if it's livable - though I'd guess that most of our apps will not run as-is - IE we need to rebuild all the installations - YUCK.

I do like to try to keep an open mind, but you HAVE to agree, the look and feel are entirely different.- Training will be necessary for most business users - home users will just have to hack at it till they figure it out, or just invest in a Vista 'For Dummies' book.

We are trying to get off Novell and onto a MS Domain, but we still use Novell Zenworks Application Launcher to manage installations of applications organization wide. (Medical Park with 3000 workstations, 7 branch locations, 3200 employees) - Novell has been on our fileservers since day 1 - There are some bonuses of being a Novell/Groupwiseshop (Less viruses, somewhat less bugs), some disadvantages (mostly compatibility).

As for new tech - I pushed XP big time when we were rolling W2K - shot down - I said most users will have it at home - the feel will be natural - NO-ONE used W2K at home. - Still shot down - 2 years later, we're upgrading all the W2K units to WXP. - Vista, on the other hand, I'm avoiding like the plague. - at least till we have some apps come in that REQUIRE it. - Poll this one up - my predictions will stand =-)
I recommend new hardware b4 ya go to it in a production enviroment. Do the IT staff gets trained first thing b4 the first enduser gets it. As I like it, but I like change n hackin at new shyt lol. Most enders, esp in the bussiness eviro arent as smart as you would expect ppl with multiple degrees would be lol. I see n understand your what you are saying. In your shoes its gonna be a pita lol. ANd to think I want a job in IT lol.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:17 PM

this is funny as hell http://blip.tv/file/340692/

Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 PM

It Sucks. I hate it. I put my laptop to sleep and damn near need a ****** &@($ing sledgehammer to bring it out of a coma.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:10 PM

I have Vista on my laptop with a 1.5G of RAM and it runs like a champ. I have XP back at work and after working with Vista for 4 months non stop (deployed) I am thinking it might be a little difficult to go back.

Quick Reply: vista