CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Virtual Memory? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/virtual-memory-86248/)

DDCavi 01-20-2009 10:54 AM

RE: Virtual Memory?

Yea its definately an older comp. Probably 3-4 years old. My parents have a brand new desktop they gave to me, but I only have wireless here. And funny enough its because Im stealing it from my neighbor. Would I need to buy a wireless card or something along those lines for the desktop to work? Or do some new desktops come with wireless cards already?

PS Im not a gamer

Lamar Vannoy 01-20-2009 12:09 PM

Virtual memory is teh suck, I have my page file turned off.

I do have 4 GB though...

thegreenbandit 01-20-2009 04:15 PM

Physically popping the ram in is easy. It's finding out how much ram your laptop can actually take, and what kind you need, thats going to be the tuff part

CBRclassic 01-20-2009 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit

Physically popping the ram in is easy. It's finding out how much ram your laptop can actually take, and what kind you need, thats going to be the tuff part
Yup...I think that a novice should just take it to a shop , get them to check it for what it will accept and let them pop it in ..

Its a 2 second job for someone that knows ... ;)

ndogg 01-20-2009 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: DDCavi

Yea its definately an older comp. Probably 3-4 years old. My parents have a brand new desktop they gave to me, but I only have wireless here. And funny enough its because Im stealing it from my neighbor. Would I need to buy a wireless card or something along those lines for the desktop to work? Or do some new desktops come with wireless cards already?

PS Im not a gamer
if your desktop doesn't have a wireless card, you can get one for dirt cheap (less than $20)

WXT 01-21-2009 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

ORIGINAL: travsstuff

virtual memory = RAM........

when was the last time you turned your computer off?....try doing that. Programmers are notorious for having memory bugs in programs, they allocate memory and then dont give it back to the OS when they are done with it....this causes your RAM to slowly fill up....just turn off your computer and let your RAM refresh for a few seconds and you should be good to go again.....get some more RAM too
Dude

virtual memory != RAM.

When your physical memory is fully used, your computer uses your hard drive as a memory storage device. Your computer allocates space on your hard drive to use it as virtual memory. When you have too much crap on your hard drive and not enough physical memory then you get that message.

Let me fix that for you.

When your physical memory is fully used, your computer uses your hard drive as a memory storage device. Your computer allocates space on your hard drive to use it as virtual memory, called a page file. When your page file is filled up, then you get that message.

Your hard drive can be completely empty and you will still get the error message if your page file is full.

Lamar Vannoy 01-21-2009 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: WXT

Let me fix that for you.

When your physical memory is fully used, your computer uses your hard drive as a memory storage device. Your computer allocates space on your hard drive to use it as virtual memory, called a page file. When your page file is filled up, then you get that message.

Your hard drive can be completely empty and you will still get the error message if your page file is full.

Windows uses plenty of virtual memory well before it gets near using all of the physical memory...

WXT 01-21-2009 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Lamar Vannoy

ORIGINAL: WXT

Let me fix that for you.

Windows uses plenty of virtual memory well before it gets near using all of the physical memory...

Physical memory is not hard to use up... especially when you are running memory intensive applications. When windows can no longer dump data to a virtual memory (page file) you're gonna run into problems... such as low virtual memory warning. Considering he only has 384 megs of RAM it's no rocket science why he is having issues.