Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Vent on a few things....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard
well they say its a free country, there is nothing to make them stand, they see no reason to stand or even pay attention and thats obvious by looking at raylees pic but it is their choice
It's called showing respect for the flag and is part of the American flag etiquette. Not only should they stand but they should stand at attention, with their hand over their heart, as the flag passes by.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
It's called showing respect for the flag and is part of the American flag etiquette. Not only should they stand but they should stand at attention, with their hand over their heart, as the flag passes by.
its a free country and you still can't make em. what they should do out of respect or etiqutte doesn't matter to them

Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard
well they say its a free country, there is nothing to make them stand, they see no reason to stand or even pay attention and thats obvious by looking at raylees pic but it is their choice
self respect and the respect for ones country. If they had those two they would stand. Too bad they take their way of life for granted.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM

lets leave self respect out of it, can't judge that on the " nonparticipation of the national anthem "

Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Why not have pride and respect in ones self and nation? The nation that has allowed you to be free and prosper? I'm not sorry if I offend anyone on this subject they SHOULD stand for the flag, as well as the national anthem. If you cant simply stand up to show your pride how freaking sad is that? It doesn't require much energy, and only a little of your time. It's too easy, and as I said earlier if they dont like it they CAN go else where.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
Why not have pride and respect in ones self and nation? The nation that has allowed you to be free and prosper? I'm not sorry if I offend anyone on this subject they SHOULD stand for the flag, as well as the national anthem. If you cant simply stand up to show your pride how freaking sad is that? It doesn't require much energy, and only a little of your time. It's too easy, and as I said earlier if they dont like it they CAN go else where.
Now bubba, keep in mind that I respect the hell out of what you guys do for us and that I believe you are right in that it is proper and respectful to stand for the flag and participate in the national anthem.

That said, you have to understand that you folks in the armed forces have a very different perspective on the symbolism of the flag. While you guys have it drilled into you to respect the flag and to honor what it stands for, most kids/adults in our society don't get that. Especially in younger generations, the allegiance to the flag and country is not instilled in them and therefore a lot of people don't think anything of not putting their hand over their heart for the anthem or standing up for the flag.

Understand -- I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just suggesting you not judge people because they don't stand. It's not out of blatant disrespect. It's not because they don't hold the same values as you. It's not because they don't appreciate you guys and those that fought before you. It doesn't make them bad people.

My grandpa served in the navy in WWII and taught me to always thank our vets and stand for the flag, but many people don't ever know that and it's not their fault. All I'm saying is, maybe it's better to reserve judgement against people until you have better reason?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM

because pride in one's self has nothing to do with their nation. second you are taking away their freedom to choose and forcing them to do something they don't want to do which sounds very un-american too. what if we had to buy harleys because thats what good americans do? no we have freedom of choice thats why we are on the cbr forum. we chose or aspire ( in my case ) to owne a cbr. its a choice and WE get to make it for our selfs. i am not saying you are right or wrong but you would be depriving those that don't/ didn't stand one of the basic rights that you fought to preserve

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 PM

I think you should all move to Canada.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never in the armed service and don't necessarily feel compelled to join. However, I deeply believe that the flag of our nation should be given utmost reverence and those who serve in our armed forces should all be given our respect. The flag isn't just a symbol of our freedom as it is today, it represents over 200 years of blood and sweat shed in the development and preservation of the American ideal. I've often been at the head of hte line when it comes to bad mouthing many of our federal government's policies and many of the politicians who have held office, but that's part of our right and our duty is to pay our respects to a symbol of all the history and heritage that allows us to do so.

I've been vocal at times about the military's actions, but I've never hated on the soldiers themselves. The soldiers aren't thinking, "Oh, I'm gonna help the current administration continue to participate in unjust wars, torture, etc". They go into the breech with honor and hope that what they do will provide for a better America. That kind of valor at least deserves you spend those 10 calories to stand up for a few minutes. In other words, I respect the players, just hate the game.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM

you are still depriving someone of their freedom of choice. i have a pinched nerve and herniated disc in my neck ( c6 / c7 ) when it first happened i had to be carried off the job, taken out of a semi feet first. standing for the flag was not an option at the time. but why i was sitting was no ones buisness but mine. while i look to be ok i am not, there is no visable sign of my condition but you want to make me stand and when you find out why i didn't stand you'll excuse me. NO this is a free country and we as individuals get to make our own decisions. i am not saying anyone is right or wrong but don't take away the right to make a choice. if you were not drafted into the armed services you made a choice to join just as some chose not to join. so if you choose to join then why ? financial, to further your education, civic duty? i know plenty that joined the service to learn a trade, get money for college. or just to have a job. had nothing to do with protecting the country. protecting the country was just their way of getting money for college, learning a trade, or having a job. some of them stand some don't and these are people that served. what will you mandate they do next. you are teetering on a slippery slope and the best thing you can do is leave them alone

Quick Reply: Vent on a few things....