Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

used helmets

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we dont have a law that says wear one but i dont go 6 blocks to the gas station without putting mine one...saftey first makes all us riders look responsible.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 PM

I would much rather buy a new helmet than having to wear to a used one...something about old helmet just creeps me out a little bit, i mean you dont really know whats been done to it...

Old 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather have new and know it's not been knocked around. Also, even though I've never seen anything that says so, it seems to me that the Styrofoam would harden with age and lose its effectiveness to absorb impact.

But used is better than nothing until the bucks are there for a new one.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with seaford on this one. I WILL NEVER wear a used helmet, gloves, shoes, socks, draws, or use someone else's deodorant or tooth brush. It's just nasty. I dont care how many times you wash something, they're funk will always be set in, just like any other stains.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From a military Veteran's perspective, I've used - used gear & been damned happy to have it. In many situations, you use what you've got...& once again, damned happy to have it! Re-using gear in the military world is a way of life. I suppose that would be hard to understand from a civilian's perspective, from those who have never had to do it. You don't trash or toss something just b/c its used. You get the utility out of it...especially if you have to. Gear doesn't loose effectivenes b/c its been sweated in or has a few scratches or scuffs. That's not to say to use something that's unserviceable. Inspect it, clean it, use it. Point it is, look at the bigger picture - need gear? - maintain & use what you've got til you can get something better. If you can buy something new, then do...if you can't, use what you got or can acquire.

Yes, my comments originate from using military gear in the field but it does translate to the civilian world as well. If a used helmet is whatcha got or all you can afford, then by all means use it. If you can get a new helmet, then get one. Most important thing is using one, period.

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 PM

i had a chance to have a shoei helmet given to me but my boss said something that turned me off to it. ha ha (it didnt fit anyway and i had one already) but he said "you never know about snot and sweat and **** breath" ( he was kind of demented.) anyway i bought a new one but kept my old one just in case ha ha. the kid who bought my last bike i gave him the helmet too cause he had no gear.and its a good thing i kept my old one ill always have one lying around, never know when you may need it or want it to go for a ride.