Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The US Stock Market

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The US Stock Market

Ok so I'm a retirement planner by trade on the Insurance side of investing and I've recently found some 5,000 dollar software that tracks the big dogs in the market and I've been toying with my Roth IRA buying and selling stocks. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

It's exciting for sure if you check it every day and see how much money you make hehe the first day i made 5% on my money and today i'm down 2% but the day isint over lol

I plan on day trading so we'll see how it all happens hehe.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 AM

I manage my IRA but look more for the long term (no day trading here). I'm young so I can afford to be more on the risky side of things. I'm big into tech stocks, and made a killing on ford this year when it was in the low single digits. What kind of software are you using?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM

This is kind of a running joke around my office with my colleagues but I'll outlay my investment plan.

During the 2006-2008 the stock market was at a peak. During that time frame I invested all of my money in ridiculous toys - cars I don't drive, go-fast boats, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, blower motor luxury sedans, etc.... Everyone told me what an idiot I was and everyone put their money in the market. They are worth about 60% of what they WERE worth, and I have lost merely a few thousand dollars in depreciation, and I won't owe anything in taxes if I sell any of it for a profit.

I look like a brillant investor!!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm far from a day trader, but I've played around a bit over the last couple years trading here and there.
I'm still hooked, though. I find myself checking prices on a regular basis and there are always some "good" deals to be had.
I'm a few grand ahead overall (plus all my "free" stocks), and man... it's addictive for sure. This is all playing with extra savings cash, tho. I find myself "needing" to own this or that...lol... and everything I have in right now is strictly profit so there's a little less stress involved. It's more of a fun hobby for me, really.
My plan money isn't conservative, but I don't straight up play with it, either.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM

If your going to do the day trader thing live by this rule:

buy the rumor sell the news.

Esp in tech stocks. Take for example the night prior to Apple releasing the Ipad, there was a massive run up in Apple's stock price. Naturally when it was released it was less then people's imagined spectacular expectations, it dropped down on the news. I find this to be true even if a company is reporting earnings, and just meets expectations.

Take this with a grain of salt, before acting on it, but it's a phenomenon worth looking at.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
This is kind of a running joke around my office with my colleagues but I'll outlay my investment plan.

During the 2006-2008 the stock market was at a peak. During that time frame I invested all of my money in ridiculous toys - cars I don't drive, go-fast boats, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, blower motor luxury sedans, etc.... Everyone told me what an idiot I was and everyone put their money in the market. They are worth about 60% of what they WERE worth, and I have lost merely a few thousand dollars in depreciation, and I won't owe anything in taxes if I sell any of it for a profit.

I look like a brillant investor!!!!
I bet you had way more fun with the toy's too hehe

Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
I bet you had way more fun with the toy's too hehe
You are damn right - In all seriousness though, I have grave concerns over what the Cap Gains rates will be in 40 years when I retire, and will probably shy away from my 401(k) contributions at some point in the not-to-distant future (Excluding the ROTH 401(k) that my wife is offered seeing as how that will all be tax free when we retire - we will begin to max out that contribution as soon as we feel comfortable). I am hoping to see other investment opportunities develop, outside of the equities/bonds markets.