Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Um? (Don't laugh)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Um? (Don't laugh)

Hey I didn't know where else to post this and it's kind of embarrassing but like I've said many many time I'm a begginers rider with no experience on a bike and I'm very excited to hope on and get on the road but in my mind and stomach I can't get over the fear of falling or laying the bike down I get my bike some time today hopefully if not tomorrow for sure but could you guys give me some tips or how some of you got over it if you ever had it that is sorry falling of a bike and sliding, burning alive, and heights scare the crap out of me so ya thanks everyone!

- Eddy, Prospect

Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you too scared to ride it, you'll be too scared to enjoy it. so i wouldn't ride it.

however, riding is not one of these skills that only a handful of people on the planet can do. it's pretty easy to get on a bike and go down the road and go around corners. just relax, have a good time, and take it easy

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a pretty good experience from 125cc bikes before my f2, but when I jumped on it the first time it was like, what, the fifth time I´ve ever sat on a big bike and I was scared to bits to not drop it. -for like, a day.

Pretty much the only thing you can do is practise, don`t go too fast until you get familiar with the bike, what it can, and more importantly canNOT do. That`s why I bought a fairly old, cheap bike for my first one, if you drop it then you drop it, it`s a bummer but most if not all of us have done it at least once. The more you fear it happening, more surely it will. By that I mean what Conrice already said, if you`re too scared, you won`t enjoy it. Familiarise yourself with your ride, get comfortable on and around it, buy good quality riding gear. WEAR IT. And remember to brake before that blind bend to avoid the sand/oncomer.

Ride safe, ride a lot!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, prep....gear up and take

Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I meant gear up with quality gears...take it slow and conservative....know that even if you are driving a car, the fear of getting hit also gets ya...I know people fear of driving on the highway 70mph + ....like what Conrice said...if you cannot conquer the fear, rather not ride.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not too much
Turning
Braking
Accellerating at once, or the same time.
Be aware of your surrroundings and remember the bike will forgive a lot of your early mistakes - just trust her, and yourself.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, you'll get there.
There's a good thread on the forum on what to look out for, in off topic.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-riding-skills-88/
Good luck, Prospect !

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Prospect, I went through major problem with that. Just go with the speed that you are comfortable with and gradually increase the speed as you go. If 4'11" 100lb little person can do it, you can too

Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big thing is don't out ride your abilities. Too many people try to impress others and wind up getting hurt. No need to impress anyone. Just ride smart, be aware, and the rest will fall into place. Have you taken the BRC or any other formal training? If not I highly recommend it.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nafstap
The big thing is don't out ride your abilities. Too many people try to impress others and wind up getting hurt. No need to impress anyone. Just ride smart, be aware, and the rest will fall into place. Have you taken the BRC or any other formal training? If not I highly recommend it.
B-I-G +1 to this post.

Eddy, as I recommended in your welcome post, look into taking the MSF Course...Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Often referred to BRC (Basic Riding Course) as mentioned above. The course pays dividends, especially for new riders.

As others have said - wear you gear! It doesn't have to be fancy or even new, just protective.

Never be afraid to ask questions.

Take your time & don't pressure yourself. *Ride Your Own Ride*

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on everything said above. At the minimum, get a DOT approved full face helmet, an armored jacket, and gloves. If price is a concern, shop for gently used gear on craigslist or ebay. Most of my gear was obtained that way. (Do NOT buy a helmet that shows any signs of damage, or has been repainted. Head protection is crucial, especially when you're first starting out and the probability of a fall is high.) I would recommend that you also add armored pants and protective footwear/boots to the minimums listed above.

As far as riding is concerned, start out in areas where there will be little or no traffic. Places like office parks after normal business hours, or quiet subdivisions are great. Go easy on the throttle. Speed is what gets most riders into trouble. These bike can go from 0 to stupid fast in a heartbeat! Once you sense that you're going too fast, suppress the natural instinct to grab a handful of brake. Go easy on the brakes, too. Locked brakes/tires in a car are not a big deal, you let off and nothing bad happens; locked brakes/tires on a bike very often = high side (if you let off too abruptly), or low side (if you don't let off), neither of which is pretty. Just take it easy.

If you ride with anyone else, don't try to keep up with a pace that you are not comfortable with or ready to handle. Let the other rider(s) know that you are new to riding. Good riding companions will be understanding, but you have to let them know if you are having issues.

Oh, yeah! Always remember that folks in cars/trucks DON'T see bikes. We are invisible to them. Always drive defensively, never expect anyone to yield the right of way to you, and always expect that car up ahead is about to pull out in front of you. Stay safe and stay alive.

Quick Reply: Um? (Don't laugh)