Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trucks

hey guys just sold my car today lookin to get a pick up for around 7k. Any hints or tips on buying trucks from 97-2003. Things i should be wary of, for instance how dodge trucks from these years tend to have their suspension go.

Edit: So ive narrowed it down to Chevy or GMC, Tacomas but there simply arent any around here in my price range.
1500, 4x4, preferably 6cyl
looking to put a lift kit and sme 3x" tires on

unless of coarse i can find one already like that which would be awesome.

any comments much appreciated. .

Last edited by Michaud85; 12-20-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 AM

I love my Toyota Tacoma, You can't go wrong and you can probably find one in your price range. Johnnyh

Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM

what size are looking at? Fullsize, midsize? Ext cab?
is this going to be your everyday vehicle? or just a toy?

If you go fullsize, theres not much point in getting a 6 cylinder, especially if you are planning on lifting it. The fuel mileage won't be any better with the 6, and you will have basically worthless power for anything other than driving down the road. Offroading and towing will be much harder on the truck. Theres a point where an engine can become too small and the larger engine actually has better fuel economy. A lifted truck is prime example.

If your going midsize, Toyota is probably the best option. You can make a decent s-10, but the drivetrain really isnt designed to handle the stress that larger tires will bring.

As much as I dislike Ford myself, for 5 grand, its going to be hard to touch a decent chevy in that year range. But, you can get a pretty nice Ford for that amount. As I said, I don't care for Ford, but I'd buy one before a Dodge, especially if your going to abuse the drivetrain.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
what size are looking at? Fullsize, midsize? Ext cab?
is this going to be your everyday vehicle? or just a toy?

If you go fullsize, theres not much point in getting a 6 cylinder, especially if you are planning on lifting it. The fuel mileage won't be any better with the 6, and you will have basically worthless power for anything other than driving down the road. Offroading and towing will be much harder on the truck. Theres a point where an engine can become too small and the larger engine actually has better fuel economy. A lifted truck is prime example.

If your going midsize, Toyota is probably the best option. You can make a decent s-10, but the drivetrain really isnt designed to handle the stress that larger tires will bring.

As much as I dislike Ford myself, for 5 grand, its going to be hard to touch a decent chevy in that year range. But, you can get a pretty nice Ford for that amount. As I said, I don't care for Ford, but I'd buy one before a Dodge, especially if your going to abuse the drivetrain.
Hmm very interesting squid... I didnt think the tires and kit would really strain a 6 cyl to the point where u wouldnt be able to tow or anything, and actually get worse fuel economy than a v8. so i guess i might as well get a V8.

Btw you guys are not the first to tell me to get a tacoma i hear they are super reliable. Its tough finding one without alot of miles because people hold on to them for so long.

Last edited by Michaud85; 12-20-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM

A lot of ford haters in here but i guess to each there own. I picked up my '01 f-150 xlt last year with 90k miles on it for $4500 at an auction. The body is in excellent condition as is the inside. Its has the v-6, the beer window in the back, and power locks n windows. No 4 wheel drive but that same truck with 4 wheel drive would have added another $1500 or so easily on the price. So there is good deals for under 5 grand out there but If I was you I would keep my eyes open and stay away from stealerships

Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Get a chevy.... my two cents

i love this pre runner... i beleive its a 1500

Name:  Mazulla.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  29.3 KB

Last edited by __Z__; 12-20-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM

I have always been a dodge truck guy myself...I have owned 3 and never had any issues, my dad has owned 3 and has never had any issues either. Of course the 5.2/5,9L were great engines they were just so under powered, the new engines Dodge has seem to be alot better from what I have drove, and get better mileage. My dad has always had diesels, and i dont think you will beat a cummins....Ford trucks arent bad but the earlier models had problems with the plugs blowing out, I think the 97-03 models were bad for that... Tacomas are nice, but they are crazy expensive for a used truck. Chevys are good trucks, but they tend to turn into a pile of rust, kind of like the early dodges.

I agree with justasquid on the lifted trucks, no matter what when you lift a truck your going to get worse gas mileage, but a smaller engine is going to be even worse. A 3" lift isnt much but it will still decrease the gas mileage, and really with a 4x4 fullsize truck you dont buy them for their fuel economy lol. If you are looking for a 4x4 for under $7k chevy is probably your best bet atleast around my area you cant hardly touch a 4x4 fullsize truck for $7k unless it is about 10-12 years old, and they normally have about 150k+ miles. I know different areas are cheaper, but 4x4's tend to run about $3k more than a typical 2wd truck in my area..sometimes even more...I was looking for one earlier this year and I gave up and I had about $12k to spend. But I wanted a lower mileage truck within 7 years old and that wasnt happening so I bought a mustang lol

Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

if you dont by a tacoma you will hate your self for the rest of your life...(fact) lol J/K

Name:  mnnn-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  55.9 KB

one of the most reliable trucks in the world my dads 95 has almost 300,000 and no major problems

Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
The Vortec 4.3L 6cyl/4L60E trans is pretty solid in the S-series truck - xfer case does pretty well - but the weak point for off-roading the S-series is the front suspension. Balljoints wear quickly when abused, the front diff is a pretty weak 7.5"/7.625" ring/pinion setup with limited re-gearing options, and it won't hold up to a locker.

TrailMaster made a 5" lift (discontinued, I think), and now Superlift makes a FIT series kit -but the best option with the S-10 is to swap a straight-axle under the front.

Now - if you didn't have to have 4x4 - you could go prerunner w/ a S-series and have a pretty serviceable vehicle for light duty work.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Random question, but for those of you that use your trucks to move your bikes, what do you use to get them into the bed?

But I agree with these guys: V8. Unless you aren't doing anything major in either towing/carrying or modding.

Quick Reply: Trucks