Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Trailor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailor recommendations

I need a trailor to hold my two bikes, or a bike and racing gear for cross country transportation.

I don't think I'll need a covered trailor, as I'll always be within one day of a home to garage it.

Any recommendations? Pricing?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Trailor recommendations

Are you sure you don't need/want a box trailer? Cross country could mean a lot of things... how many miles? I use a flat open trailer to haul my bike a few times, but I wouldn't put any gear on it unless I fixed storage boxes to it. A closed box trailer with some aerodynamics to it may cut down on the fuel bill and keep your gear safer and out of eyes of thieves. Pricing is a wide rangeā€¦ new or used? You can buy new box trailers for lowes and such for around $3000.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:37 PM

I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a 4X7 open trailer with gate for $450. Its extremely light weight and was no problem towin for my car, Pontiac Grand Prix. Its really only big enough for one bike. I used it to take my bike from Tallahassee, FL to Pittsburgh, PA with no problems whatsoever. Just a canyon dancer strap and a couple of rachet straps on the handle bars.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 PM

With an open trailer I have couple concerns:

1. How much damage do you get from the road, i.e. debri flying up from the car or others on the road?

2. Can you cruise down the road at 80 in your Grand Prix and that trailer without any issues? Just so happens I have a Grand Prix also!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:35 PM

I trailered my bike from FLorida to Pennsylvania and back and the only thing i got was a ton of bugs on my bike. I didnt even notice one rock chip. Granted I also didnt hit any rain but I wouldnt worry about damage from an open trailer. I was able to cruise between 75-80. The only problem youre gonna come across is your gas mileage is gonna be terrible. I went from normally getting around 25-28 highway to 16. I had my car loaded down with a lot of stuff from moving so that prolly affected it too but dont plan on gettin over 20 mpg.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
VP

I know some companies sell towable bike covers as well... make sure it's specifically "FOR TOWING" and you should be good on keeping the bike clean and chip free. I can't remember who made mine off the top of my head, but it's water proof and it was only 50 bucks at the local shop... I can literally leave the bike in a monsoon and it'll stay dry.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:46 PM

i made mine with some help from my dad of course, but its nice, about 5x8 all tubular and angle steel w/ some recycled hardware from an old boat trailer

Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just go with an open one. I was really looking at an enclosed trailer but don't think it's very feasible considering the car's towing capacity.

crapit, too bad i can't make my own trailer. I've been looking at them and the cheapest one I've found so far is $500, the one basket was talking about: http://www.mytscstore.com/shopping_l...dd&sku=1000231

Or another one that I like is this one:

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/...6TE-1TS76M.htm

Or, this one is really nice but I don't think it's worth $2k:

http://www.kendonusa.com/single_trailer.htm

Old 10-12-2006, 03:49 PM

if your near michigan i have one of those single bike trailers for sale, prolly $250.00

Old 10-12-2006, 05:45 PM

Any pics? I probably won't be up in the MI area (around Sturgis, MI) until Thanksgiving timeframe.
ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

if your near michigan i have one of those single bike trailers for sale, prolly $250.00

Quick Reply: Trailor recommendations