Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Trailer opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer opinions

I have been looking into getting a trailer for a while now and my boss told me he has a 5x8 with a new axle and some other goodies he would sell me for 400 bucks. Sound like a good deal to you guys? I wanna be able to haul at least 2 bikes in it. Do you think it's bike enough for that?

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:21 PM

i definitely do, plus you'll have a trailer for whatever else

Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 5x 8 is the perfect size for just 2 bikes, wont do 3 tho. Price sounds fair as a new 5x8 goes for around $700 - $800. A wood floor is a plus too. That meshed metal flooring gives n is slippery.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM

I am not sure - I am just thinking out loud here, but that is about the size of my pickup bed, and I think it would be a tight fit having multiple bikes in there. I don't know - maybe it would when they were over in the sides of the trailer.

Before you commit to buying take a stroll through a local Lowe's parking lot. They have brand new trailers like you are looking at and I am always suprised at how cheap they are. Just a good frame of reference for price.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
I am not sure - I am just thinking out loud here, but that is about the size of my pickup bed, and I think it would be a tight fit having multiple bikes in there. I don't know - maybe it would when they were over in the sides of the trailer.

Before you commit to buying take a stroll through a local Lowe's parking lot. They have brand new trailers like you are looking at and I am always suprised at how cheap they are. Just a good frame of reference for price.
A pickup bed usually doesnt have a true 5' useable space like a trailer, esp for things like bikes thanks to the wheel wells. I know several ppl who use a 5x8 to haul two bikes n it works great.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:38 PM

i was going to get a trailer but i decided to buy a pickup truck instead haha. good luck with your search tho

Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Michaud85
i was going to get a trailer but i decided to buy a pickup truck instead haha. good luck with your search tho
a Trailer is much easier to deal with lol.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
A pickup bed usually doesnt have a true 5' useable space like a trailer, esp for things like bikes thanks to the wheel wells. I know several ppl who use a 5x8 to haul two bikes n it works great.
There's no doubt it is deceptive in the pickup bed.

IF you've done it than that answers the question!

Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM

The floor is wood. I know it needs one board replaced since I was the one that broke that one it the first place. Lol. it had a drop down gate also. I have looked at trailers at both home depot and lowes. For a new 5x8 it's between 700 and 900 bucks. I honestly don't want a trailer that bad. Lol. He is also willing to do Payments on it if I decide to get it. Thanks for all the replys. It's a big help.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$400 is a good deal if all is in good condition...especially if your boss will let you make payments. If its a good quality trailer, you won't lose anything value-wise when you sell it, if you take care of it.

I gave $500 for my 5x8 trailer 4 years ago. The same model is $800+ today w/ the same features. Mine has a 3500 lb axle, 1 ft side rails, built-in trailer jack, spare tire mount, & wood floor. One of the best buying decisions I've ever made. The thing is rock solid & has served me well thru many trips to the track & in other ways as well. I painted the wood floor w/ "Skid-Not" paint, which is basically outdoor paint w/ sand grit (like skateboard tape) to help get solid footing & traction.

I use it to haul one or two bikes. W/ two bikes on the back, I still have plenty of room for my gas jugs, stands, aluminum bike ramp, etc.

Quick Reply: Trailer opinions