CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Trailer opinions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/trailer-opinions-120025/)

Jay_J 01-10-2011 03:20 PM

Trailer opinions

I have been looking into getting a trailer for a while now and my boss told me he has a 5x8 with a new axle and some other goodies he would sell me for 400 bucks. Sound like a good deal to you guys? I wanna be able to haul at least 2 bikes in it. Do you think it's bike enough for that?

Thanks.

backyardmechanic 01-10-2011 03:21 PM

i definitely do, plus you'll have a trailer for whatever else

PlayfulGod 01-10-2011 03:31 PM

a 5x 8 is the perfect size for just 2 bikes, wont do 3 tho. Price sounds fair as a new 5x8 goes for around $700 - $800. A wood floor is a plus too. That meshed metal flooring gives n is slippery.

Seafordguy 01-10-2011 03:33 PM

I am not sure - I am just thinking out loud here, but that is about the size of my pickup bed, and I think it would be a tight fit having multiple bikes in there. I don't know - maybe it would when they were over in the sides of the trailer.

Before you commit to buying take a stroll through a local Lowe's parking lot. They have brand new trailers like you are looking at and I am always suprised at how cheap they are. Just a good frame of reference for price.

PlayfulGod 01-10-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy (Post 1003327)
I am not sure - I am just thinking out loud here, but that is about the size of my pickup bed, and I think it would be a tight fit having multiple bikes in there. I don't know - maybe it would when they were over in the sides of the trailer.

Before you commit to buying take a stroll through a local Lowe's parking lot. They have brand new trailers like you are looking at and I am always suprised at how cheap they are. Just a good frame of reference for price.

A pickup bed usually doesnt have a true 5' useable space like a trailer, esp for things like bikes thanks to the wheel wells. I know several ppl who use a 5x8 to haul two bikes n it works great.

Michaud85 01-10-2011 03:38 PM

i was going to get a trailer but i decided to buy a pickup truck instead haha. good luck with your search tho

PlayfulGod 01-10-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Michaud85 (Post 1003329)
i was going to get a trailer but i decided to buy a pickup truck instead haha. good luck with your search tho

a Trailer is much easier to deal with lol.

Seafordguy 01-10-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod (Post 1003328)
A pickup bed usually doesnt have a true 5' useable space like a trailer, esp for things like bikes thanks to the wheel wells. I know several ppl who use a 5x8 to haul two bikes n it works great.

There's no doubt it is deceptive in the pickup bed.

IF you've done it than that answers the question!

Jay_J 01-10-2011 04:05 PM

The floor is wood. I know it needs one board replaced since I was the one that broke that one it the first place. Lol. it had a drop down gate also. I have looked at trailers at both home depot and lowes. For a new 5x8 it's between 700 and 900 bucks. I honestly don't want a trailer that bad. Lol. He is also willing to do Payments on it if I decide to get it. Thanks for all the replys. It's a big help.

gotcbr 01-10-2011 07:19 PM

$400 is a good deal if all is in good condition...especially if your boss will let you make payments. If its a good quality trailer, you won't lose anything value-wise when you sell it, if you take care of it.

I gave $500 for my 5x8 trailer 4 years ago. The same model is $800+ today w/ the same features. Mine has a 3500 lb axle, 1 ft side rails, built-in trailer jack, spare tire mount, & wood floor. One of the best buying decisions I've ever made. The thing is rock solid & has served me well thru many trips to the track & in other ways as well. I painted the wood floor w/ "Skid-Not" paint, which is basically outdoor paint w/ sand grit (like skateboard tape) to help get solid footing & traction.

I use it to haul one or two bikes. W/ two bikes on the back, I still have plenty of room for my gas jugs, stands, aluminum bike ramp, etc.

Jay_J 01-10-2011 08:23 PM

I know it wouldn't hurt to repaint the thing. It's got some surface rust. I like the no slip paint idea for sure. He uses this trailer every day to haul his land scaping stuff. I don't know what the axle is rated for but I have had over 2k pounds on it with no issues.

Michaud85 01-11-2011 02:58 PM

in a few months i wll put up some pics of two cbrs in my silverado 1500. i wwas trying to find some online but if its a tight fit all you do is put one in fowards and the other in backwards

ko67 01-12-2011 01:33 PM

How did you break the floor board?

Floor boards breaking and rust would be a no go for me.

PlayfulGod 01-12-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ko67 (Post 1003919)
How did you break the floor board?

Floor boards breaking and rust would be a no go for me.

you leave a trailer parked outside it is gonna have some rust on it. Boards are easily replaced and could have broken for several diff reasons. I've seen treated boards just buckle up after awhile n pull the bolts thru em.

Now the amount of rust n how far its gone I would agree would be a issue. I always touched my trailer up once a year so it didnt get too bad.

Jay_J 01-12-2011 01:55 PM

The trailer was left outside in the weather and the board I guess started to rot and I stepped on it just right and it went through. From what I can tell the rust is surface rust and I did plan on repainting it when i get it since it's powder blue. Lol.

gotcbr 01-12-2011 06:21 PM

If the trailer is made w/ quality heavy-gauge steel, a little surface rust isn't going to hurt anything. If you get the trailer, clean & paint the steel w/ oil based paint to keep it protected. Use pressure treated wood for your replacement boards...they will last a lot longer.

My trailer is kept outside but has a heavy duty tarp over it. B/f ea use, I inspect the overall condition, axle seals, & check tire pressures. I do maintenance as necessary.

Jay_J 01-12-2011 09:14 PM

I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll take some pictures and post them up to get some opinions from you guys.

Jay_J 01-14-2011 07:29 AM

Alright so after a closer inspection as a potential buyer I think I'm gunna pass on this trailer. All the wood on the deck would need to be replaced one of the fenders is about to rust off the toung on it is bent to the left it does have a new axle with good tires and has new lights but for 400 bucks I would rather spend a little more and get a newer/nicer trailer. If I could post pics I would but my laptop took a dump the other night and isn't wanting to work now.

gotcbr 01-15-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jay_J (Post 1004432)
Alright so after a closer inspection as a potential buyer I think I'm gunna pass on this trailer...

Prob for the best w/ the needs you mention. Good luck on your trailer shopping. :)

Sprock 01-15-2011 04:02 PM

yeah I'd pass on it too from the sounds of it.

Back in 08 I got a CarMate 5 x 10 from Lowes
using up some cc rewards at the time
has a split rear gate landscape style and 20
inch steel mesh styles sides get 3 bikes on it
easy ......great for all the other yard work too

Think it ran about 1400 ........ had a k of rewards
to apply .....so grabbed it...... great investment
long since paid for itself.

Carbon copy of this one without the front "box/cage".

http://www.trailershopper.com/files/25962.jpg

CarMate quality is just "okay" ! tho'

Jay_J 01-16-2011 01:43 AM

I think I'm gunna go to this place a few minutes from my house that sells trailers and see what they have and what not.

gotcbr 01-16-2011 12:23 PM

That's a nice one Sprock. Mine is constructed much the same way but is a 5x8.

Jay, consider getting a trailer w/ an integral loading gate/ramp. While not necessary, it makes like easier. My trailer doesn't have it. I use an aluminum bike ramp but will prob have the gate ramp installed.

ko67 01-16-2011 02:26 PM

Sounds like a definite pass.

If I'm buying a trailer that will be hauling my baby, I want one that has been stored like i store my motorcycle, out of the elements. At the very least a tarp over the top of it.