Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Traffic Stops

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Stops

Not that I plan on speeding, or breaking the law to the point where I get pulled over - its just something I'd really like to know, and see how people handle it.

Obviously on bikes, traffic stops will be different. In a car when I got pulled over I would throw my hazards on, turn the car off, put the keys on the steering wheel, and keep both hands on the steering wheel until the officer instructed me to do something. Seems to have worked well for me, except for one time.

I know you want the officer to feel as comfortable as possible when dealing with you. When you pull over do you pull your helmet off immediately? Do you get off the bike? Do you turn around and look at them? Do you just sit there until the officer comes up to you? It might be dumb - I just want to know how you guys go about it.

I did search somewhat, but most results gave stories, and not how they actually handled the stop.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 AM

The 2 times i have been stopped, ive pulled over.. Put the kickstand down.. took off the gloves, helmet, set them on my tank and got off the motorcycle and stood next to it.

If you want to make the cop comfortable ive heard the best is to take off the helmet so your not mumbling through the Helmet and you can hear what instructions he/she is going to give you. I havent heard anything about getting off the motorcycle though.. But i wouldnt see it as a big deal to get off (since ive done it before) as im sure the cop would love to see your license and Registration (considering my License is in my back pocket and my reg is under the seat i have to get off the motorcycle anyway! haha!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 AM

For those on their permit that require someone with their license to ride with them - does that rider pull over as well? I would imagine so, but I wasn't sure if officers would get uptight about more than one person stopping.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Ive only been pulled over once on my bike and I took both my helmet and my gloves off and put them on my gas tank. I got off my bike and stood next to it and waited for him, It seemed like the right thing to do at the time and the officer seemed comfortable with it although I just got pulled over for "having a headlight out" (low beam)

Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I've been pulled over once for going 6mph over the speed limit. Yeah talk about a douche cop but that is neither here nor there. I just sat on the bike until he came up to me then he asked for my license and I told him it was in the front pocket of my jacket and asked if it was okay for me to get it. I didn't want me to think I was going to pull a weapon or anything. I never took off my helmet, just my gloves.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both times i have been stopped i would pull over, turn bike off, take helmet and gloves off, step off bike. Its worked so far.

Also i put my gloves inside the helmet and place it on the seat. I then keep my hands ontop of my helmet until they asks for my paperwork.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both times I got Pulled over, I turned off the bike and did nothing till he told me too.

Both times I was told to leave my kickstand up. Both times did not have to take my helmet off.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep this on topic of procedure only.

Do not turn this into a cop-bashing thread or it will be locked.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never been stopped on my bike. Guessing if I were I'd
  • Pull over
  • Drop the kickstand
  • Turn off the bike using the key
  • Take the keys out and drop them
  • Place my hands on the bars or laced behind my neck
  • When the officer approaches warn him clearly and loudly that I'm licensed to carry and inform him of the location of my weapon.
  • Wait for instructions

I'd drop the keys so the officer knows I have no plans (and no ability) to run. Whenever I'm stopped in a vehicle, I keep my hands in plain view (usually I stick them out the window) so there's no doubt where my hands are. I would not get off my bike. My intention would be to look as harmless as possible. Mounted up on a bike that can't go anywhere, you're harmless.

Nor would I turn to look at the cop.
‪Police Officer Shoots Unarmed 24 Year Old Motorcycle Rider In The Back‬‏ - YouTube

Police officers have a very difficult job, where every traffic stop has the potential to end poorly. I understand and empathize with that. I also want the dashcam to show it wasn't me if things do go badly.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM

I do know for sure, the cops like it when you drop your keys on the ground.

so here is how I do it,

pull over,
turn off bike,
drop keys,
then place hands on helmet,

I do not take anything off or do anything till office walks to me, and I make sure it is ok to do so. Just sit there with your hands on your helmet so he can see them.

Also if you plan to drop your keys, make sure you do so as soon as you pull over, not when he is about to get out of the car or walking up to you

Quick Reply: Traffic Stops