Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which bike should I take to the Track?
Yolanda, the BMW s1000rr
25.00%
Ororo, the CBR F4i
75.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

track day: Yolanda or Ororo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default track day: Yolanda or Ororo

OK since i picked up Yolie, it has been my intent to track Ororo. But I was in Revzilla today and the guy there gave 1 pretty convincing argument for using my s1000rr: Traction Control. He argued that since i have no intention of racing, going for purely the experience, Traction Control would be an asset. Not the hindrance it can be for those intending to race. Further he said since the CSS switched to using the s1ks for their classes, accident during Keith Code's school dropped like 60%

My argument for using Ororo is pretty strong I feel tho. There is no way Yolie will only see use at the track. She's way too pretty to be trailered everywhere to ride. And with my schedule at work, I don't have any consistent days off. I can't depend on having the 3rd weekend of every month off, for example. Meaning visits would likely be infrequent. And i do not want thw bother of taking off mirrors, taping up lights and such to do some track time. Then have to reverse it all just to ride street again.

So what's your vote? And most importantly: why?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vote/recommendation = F4i.

Why? = Think worst case. Its not your daily rider & its less expensive to repair. Also, its not always your ability/bike at the track that prevents mishaps/crashes. Track accidents are often caused by the other guy that cuts your line, turns in too soon in front of you, goes down in front of you, etc.

Keep in mind that most insurance co's do NOT cover damage caused in a track environment. I.e. once you put a bike on the track, ins. coverage ceases. Would you rather repair an F4i or a new BMW?

Of course, if you have unlimited funds, all is moot...make whatever choice you want.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted F4i also

basically same reason's as gotcbr said.

plus you can buy race fairings for it for around 400 bucks, and not trash your oem stuff. Later on you could always put it back oem to sale or whatnot.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Ororo for the reasons already stated.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turned my RC51 into a track bike. I figure, hey, after getting used to my S1kRR, that fat pig is gonna feel like a soggy turd rolling down a slight incline and it'll be lots more manageable. Not only that, I'm hitting the track to be faster, not because I'm already fast... it's easier to adapt skills you develop on a not so polished bike to a polished bike as opposed to transferring skills from a technological 190hp monster with traction control/ABS to an older bike. Once you have polished your skills up a bit (drawing lines, braking, negotiating traffic, etc.) you can feel confident and just have fun.

Do what I did, get some cheap "track plastics", work the suspension, get some track-worthy rubber and wait for good weather.

BTW, let me know when you're gonna hit up thunderbolt. I've got some kinks to work out on the RC51, but I should be heading down there in a week or so.

::Edit::
Check that, I'll be there May 4th with TPM.

Last edited by raylee; 04-17-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

kuro, have you heard anything from beemer? (just wondering what the truth might be about the sales hold)

Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by regener8ed
kuro, have you heard anything from beemer? (just wondering what the truth might be about the sales hold)
Nope and prolly won't since Yolie isn't affected. You might ask raylee tho since his is and he works at the dealership

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The recall was because the '12 was raping all the other bikes that all the other bike makers paid off the bimmer motorrad guys to detune it in the name of a "recall".

::edit:: I declined the recall, btw.

Last edited by raylee; 04-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

f4i for sure... i would not use the s1000rr.

first, you're going to push at the track unlike you do at the street - therefore you likely hood of going down is through the roof regardless of traction control - and do you really want to drop the s1000rr again - and this time it would likely be a very faster off.

second, traction control is not a "do not wreck" card to play. you're likely to push the front, crash because of poor body positioning, etc - things that TC couldn't help you save.

third - you're not racing at the track, you're looking to get faster/better. do you think you'll be able to learn as much and learn as quickly on the s1000rr as opposed to your f4i? the f4i it's more of a real bike (in the way that it's simpler) than the s1000rr and then there's the other big elephant in the room - the s1000rr's 190hp. you sure don't need that for the first time at the track.

fourth, i know a guy who had a z1000 and finally after a few years and a lot of miles bought a brand new (this was back in '04) zx10-r. and back then, that was a serious monster. not a 190hp monster that the s1000r is - but still - pretty damn mean. his first track day - he dropped it 3 times. and he said that had he been on a smaller 600, he thinks he would have been just fine.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 PM

F4i for the reasons stated by everyone else, but that statistic from CSS is interesting.

Quick Reply: track day: Yolanda or Ororo