Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive

Well, I did it. The bike is gone, but I'm lucky as hell to at least be able to tell you guys aboutit.

It was just a normal riding day. I was alone, actually trying to go and check out a park that my girlfriend wanted to go picnic at!!! (of all things, I know.) Anyway, was going down a back-country road where the posted is 50 MPH. Got behind a car going 48 MPH and in front of him pulled out a car going even slower. It's a no-passing zone road all the way through, so as soon as I made sure it was safe to pass both (even though it was illegal) I downshifted and passed them both. I was coming up on a hillwhen I overtook them both. I figure I was going about 75 MPH or so as I crested the hill and as soon as I crested, the handlebars started shaking violently bad left and right. I wasn't able to stay straight and my throttle wrist kept goosing the gas when the bars ripped left, involuntarily making me accelarate the bike. I veared left, right and ultimately left againinto oncoming traffic's laneand off to that gravel shoulder. I remember trying to put my left leg down as I went into the shoulder. Woke up face down in the grass ditch with my helmet visor broken off in front of me. Rolled onto my back and took off my helmet. The people I passed stopped to make sure I was ok. They actually seemed to help. Told me not to move and yelled at me for taking off my helmet. I saw my bike up about 200 feet further down the road. Ambulance came in what seemed like no time.

Gear:
Icon Tarmac v2.0 gloves (left at the scene. Not recovered. Returned to the scene and they were gone?!)
HJC CL-SP helmet (Back of helmet scraped to hell. Rear air spoiler broke off. Visor hardware ripped off)
God's hand!
NO JACKET!! I almost always wear one too. It's always when you wreck that you're not prepared, right? You'll see why I wish I was from the pic below

Damage:
Severe road rash to my back
Minor road rash on right arm and right leg
Broken right fibula (leg) just above my anke.
Torn MCL in my left knee. Possibly in my right...too swollen for the doc to tell right now.
BIKE TOTALLED (battery not recovered, gauge cluster not recovered)

The pics do no justice as to how much damage my body took...it takes 5-10 minutes just to get out of bed to take a ****, not to mention the pain involved with moving. If you have gear, wear it. If you don't, invest in it. If you don't want to invest, don't leave the parking lots. This is 100% my fault for the accident and am unbelievably pissed at myself for driving recklessly. Got two tickets: passing in a non-passing zone and driving unsafely (which is BS).

Be careful guys. It could happen to anybody.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/265F2B85C9194D54AAC5B460FC4B4ABC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/71B2E2C2BCFD40D2B6CE73BCFF75B263.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/5AF206F4111C41DBBF4D5F29D3A17A2F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/5D077FAF24F4462EACE2D2C5B6682BFE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Default RE: Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive

Continued...

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/60B9CB90555E403C8E4C116DF8AECAFE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/E1BACE1EC7304D85B0F8C3AA481DAB17.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16333/FE5302AA14E64ABE95D1AAE0D5118C43.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Glad your still with usbro [8D]sounds like it coulda been way worse [>:]bikes replacable, you ain't my friend, DAMN ! just saw the pics of your back man, that looks like it hurts like hell !!! OUCH !!!looks like you'll be out for a while [:@]. Drink beer and take your pain meds

Old 09-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Wow, that sucks. Any Ins????? Thats some crazy rash doogie!!!!!! Alteast, for the most part you're alright.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM

dude I was going to get on you about passing.... But I see you had a bad day and you lived through it and I am sure you learned a lesson from this and will take something from it... hope you heal up soon and good luck man.

wow man, so glad your ok...and ill never ride without my jacket again....thanks for the post......did the tail section get completely torn off? if so....wow, your a lucky guy. may god help you to a speedy recovery. and that back rash looks really sore.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy **** bro. Glad you were ok, and I know you know it, but I bet you were wishing you had a jacket on. I yelled HOLY **** when I saw your back, and Im in an office. Damn man, just glad you are alive, I had an extremely close call today too. You have insurance?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:26 PM

Damn! Glad you're still with us. Get better and get back up.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 PM

I thought my road rash hurt. I don't even want to think about the pain you must be in. I'm glad you're here to tell the story though. Take care of yourself

Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Users

glad your okay woody....man...i needs me a leather...i have a mesh jacket with armour....might have to invest this weekend considering...

and seriously....not to thread jack...but WHAT IS IT LATELY WITH THE ACCIDENTS....i mean everyone....i am almost happy my bike is torn down right now....it must be the stars or something....damn...everyone...BE SAFE...no more accident threads please!

once again, glad you're okay man....

Quick Reply: Totalled the bike. Lucky to be alive