Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

took the test

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 12:47 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: took the test

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

LOL@some of yall saying a crusier can out manuver a sportbike going slow. If so you all need to relearn a few things.

Like I said b4, if you cant ride at -1mph you cant ride at all IMO. Any moroon can go 100mph.
I never said the cruiser could out-maneuver. I said that in response to someone who claimed that the CBR sucks at slow riding / cornering. A cruiser full of bowling ***** can pass the test, and sure as hell any CBR could also.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:04 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I took my MSF on a 250 honda rebel (cruiser) and i passed fine. But at that point there was no way I could pass the test on my CBR, the figure 8 would have eaten me up, even now I think it would be hard.

CBRs have a larger turning radius then a 250 cruiser, the bars don't turn that far. Turning at speed is alot eaiser then turning in a parking lot for a CBR. Yes it can be done, but your bars are going to be almost turned as far as they go, so if you start to fall in your only option is to gas it or put a foot down, plus throttle sensitivity on a CBR is touchier then a 250.

why do you think everyone says not to get a sport bike first, BECAUSE THEY ARE HARDER TO CONTROL, once you can control them they are amazing (at what they are designed for, which is not figure 8s in parking lots and dodging cones)

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True dat ... most sportbikes are built steering negative or at best steering neutral. Makes for crappier slow speed handling especially with a touchy throttle. But the throttle issue is easily solved by just starting in 2nd.

The best curve handling bikes in the world (GPs) are so twitchy that they occasionally loose it on the straights ... but like a fighter jet, the more unstable it is the better it handles.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 AM

The girl on the Goldwing was pretty amazing when it came to her teaching us at the MSF course. I figured, if she can do it on that huge friggin thing, I should have no problem.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM

wow didnt expect 2 pages on this thread...I was goign good through the cones until #3, I made it but put my foot down after it and then hit the 4th cone....and the u turn, I make then daily at very slow speeds so there was no excuse for me to put my foot down...

I'll get it next thursday, with my riding experience I am still pissed that I failed the first time...

and on a side note, I almost didnt even get to take the tes, the cop didnt like my front turn signals and he said he could flunk me for that but he let it slide....

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM

3rd day on a motorcycle and I passed it the2nd time around. Have and Goodluck!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:47 PM

how do you pass it the third day, you have to wait a week before taking the test again...

Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different states, different rules. GA ya fail you can take it again the next day ... fail again I think it's a week (could be 2weeks).

Old 06-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gville George

I don't know about you guys, but I took my MSF on a 250 honda rebel (cruiser) and i passed fine. But at that point there was no way I could pass the test on my CBR, the figure 8 would have eaten me up, even now I think it would be hard.

CBRs have a larger turning radius then a 250 cruiser, the bars don't turn that far. Turning at speed is alot eaiser then turning in a parking lot for a CBR. Yes it can be done, but your bars are going to be almost turned as far as they go, so if you start to fall in your only option is to gas it or put a foot down, plus throttle sensitivity on a CBR is touchier then a 250.

why do you think everyone says not to get a sport bike first, BECAUSE THEY ARE HARDER TO CONTROL, once you can control them they are amazing (at what they are designed for, which is not figure 8s in parking lots and dodging cones)
if you know what you are doing its just as easy as with the rebel. For a complete n00b no. But the OP isnt a complete n00b now is he. You have to lean a sb even at low speed. I'm no expert or pro, but I can handle my bike just as well at 2mph as I can at 80mph, as all riders should be able too. Maybe thats why so many have been going down. They can run 80 to nothing but can not manuver thru crawling traffic or in a parkinglot.

get out there n practive ppl.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:57 PM
July 2008 ROTM

I feel like buying cones and finding a parking lot to play around in now.

Quick Reply: took the test