Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tire Of This Shiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Of This Shiz

I'm sure im not the first one..dont u guys just hate it when you get nails,stables, etc..on ur new tire ? i know its not safe to ride with plugs...but tires are costy mang ~ so i decide to just stick with plug tire ( taking it easy tho..kinda hard@canyon) ..but .. da thing is ..why dont these popular tire brands comeout with some new technogly on tires where its hard to penetrate throught our rubber .. few years back ..I read this artical in car mag.. they have put layer of carbon fiber in it..i remember they had it in cut away view too ( not sure if its out in market ) but if that works..they should make em for ours .. i would definelty grab some of those ..sry for the bad spelling

Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Default RE: Tire Of This Shiz

I walked up to then brand new 1Krr and saw somehing shiny dead center in the tread on the rear, upon closer look it was a nail with a big head, like a roofing nail. I didn't want to, but had to , ride it home, no telling how long it was in there, I like to think not long. Anyway, took it to my local bike/speed shop and the guy plugged it. He said he wouldn't recommend a new tire cause it was dead center in the tread, and they use a mushroom plug thats heated and beveled on the inside as well as the outside, what he says anyway. Well, that was a couple thousand miles ago and damn if you can find that plug now, everythings all blended in. But, I really don't **** & git' on it, wheelie or anything too crazy.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that many nail (& Self tapping screws) that often in my car, that I honestly thought someone was throwing them on the road to drum up business for the tyre joints. If a plug is applied correctly, there should not be any problems. Just a word of advice, if your out of town & find a nail or screw or whatever, in your tyre, leave it there, until you can get to a place that can either repair it or replace it. Ive seen tyres deflate very quickly (mine included) once you pull the buggers out.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 AM

,.. my tire is on plug right now cuz i had a nail in it couple monthes ago .. how is it danger to ride with the plug .. i was just wonderin.......

Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any problems with them myself, as long as you take em to a reputable shop, not always the case if your a few hundred clicks from home. But I've found that anything that messes with your head while riding, (especially tyres) certainly can take away a lot the fun. As I've said before, the last thing you want to worry about going into a corner is your tyres. So in that light I guess its up to you . If you think its not safe, then its never going to be. Sort of related, I took the TL1000 Suzuki for a blat on a ride day promo, Great motor, but it was the twitchiest bike I had ever riden for the back end, So I road it like a wimp, next guy that got on, made it his bitch. (turns out I was right about the rear anyway) But at the time it was a mind set thing.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM

alot of truck tires will have a layer of Kevlar in there to help with punturing on rocks and such. Bike tires should have that option.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM

That would be nice.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM

I've had 2 tires patched/plugged and theynever gave me any problems. My neighbor took an old tire of mine andpatchedit himself and also rides w/o problems. As long as it's done correctly there shouldbe no issues. The only problem I've run intois a bike shop(none in theIndianapolisarea will do it) that will do it for you. They all cite "liability" and "safety". So we either do it ourselves or find a shop away from this city.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Has anybody ever thought of that green slime stuff that supposedly prevents air leaks no matter what? (so long as theholeis smaller than a certain diameter). I've seen it in stores for things like lawn tractors and what not. I have no recollection as to whether they're used in cars, but I'm wondering if they could be used in our bikes. BUT, I don't know what it would do in terms of stability on a motorcycle. Might be an interesting option for someone to research though.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Freebie

Has anybody ever thought of that green slime stuff that supposedly prevents air leaks no matter what? (so long as theholeis smaller than a certain diameter). I've seen it in stores for things like lawn tractors and what not. I have no recollection as to whether they're used in cars, but I'm wondering if they could be used in our bikes. BUT, I don't know what it would do in terms of stability on a motorcycle. Might be an interesting option for someone to research though.
Are you talking about the crap that you put in the tire through the valve stem? If it is, do not use it ever!!! What does not go into the hole and seal it, clumps up and floats around in the tire, and throws the balance off on bikes.

Quick Reply: Tire Of This Shiz