Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Ticket for a smoked shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for a smoked shield?

This may be a silly question but I have to ask. Is there a law about having a smoked shield on your helmet at night? My Shoei has a light smoked shield installed and now since the days are getting shorter, I know I'll be riding after dark from work very soon. Could you get cited for it? I tried to see if another post about this was generated but no luck. Thanks for your time & Never Forget 9/11!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Default RE: Ticket for a smoked shield?

No there isnt aay law that i know of....yet...i have a smoke on my KBC and mirrored on the other...no problems with that...

Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

if you ever have any doubts just ask a cop .. also remember that each state has different laws so it would be best to check with your local laws also

Old 09-11-2006, 09:23 PM

Most states require eye protection as in a helmet visor or motorcycle windshield. I think sunglasses are probably OK too. I have gotten a warning for riding with my smoked visor in the up position after dark. I don't think the cop would have cared except that he also pulled me over for exhibition of power [sm=bustedsign.gif]. Luckily, no ticket.

I learned my lesson though... no wheelies after dark with a tinted visor

Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 PM

I dont think you would get a ticket for it because most places only have laws about having eye protection. Most dont say what kind of eye protection though.

It is harder to see at night with your tinted visor though, i would just put a clear one on there when you get the chance.

I always ride with a clear one. If i need tint, I just put some sun glasses one that fit in with my helmet.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Retired Moderator

I agree with D...a clear visor is much more versatile. You can wear shades underneath, and don't have to worry about changing it out for the evening or the season.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 PM

I don't know the laws, but I always wear a tinted shield. In the daytime, I even wear sunglasses under the tinted shield in the bright summer sun.

I've never been pulled over and I don't think most cops would pull you over just for that... I'm just guessing though.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 AM

i've been out after dark with my tinted shield on as well... no problems thus far.

clear shield with sunglasses underneath is the way to go though.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 AM

Up here in B.C. Canada there is. Not sure what the fine is though.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Driving with a smoke/tinted faceshild at night? There isn't a specific statute in AZ for that, and there probably isn't one in most states either.

However, you can be cited for speed not reasonable and prudent, but it could depend on the conditions. Are you driving on a moonless night on a street/highway with no illumination, and with the darkest tinted screen available. If the officer believes that you pose a hazarad to persons/property within the rightaway due to restricted vision, your speed may need to be adjusted accordingly. It may need to be adjusted to such an extent that your prudent speed is 0. It's all in how it's articulated.

Quick Reply: Ticket for a smoked shield?