Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thoughts of selling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thoughts of selling?

Ride for the love of it, not for the attention from it. See you riding!
This is your signature. Live it, learn from it, and be careful.

Now that time is tight and adult responsilbity has creeped into the picture, all people think of a safer hobby. But I didn't even buy my bike until I was 30, married, with 2 kids. The family sees it as fun but also as a way to have fun responsibly. I ride mostly sane and always remember that others depend on me. With that said no one can stop an accident when caused by a lousy other driver not paying attention. (check out the bike vs car, bike wins story). But many people die each day falling in the shower and that doesn't stop you from cleaning up. You get the point...ride because you love it, don't take yourself to seriously and be careful.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM

i say keep the bikes. i am a married father of 2 and have the only income in my family. i still ride to work every day. i say get some aflac keep the bikes and ride.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Retired Moderator

I would encourage you to keep the bikes. If you don't have them, you will pine away! I think everybody else has already made any points that I would.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Ok...Just b/c I'm 24, that doesn't mean I do not have responsibility. My friends are not where I am now, so I think I have a little bit more on my plate then they do...Ibeat myself up and finished grad school a year ago, landed a great job where Iwork 40+ hours a week (and take work home with me), I am my parents only child, engaged, own a house, exercise, have pets, currently revamping some rooms in the house, try to hang with friends when I can, etc. with all that said....I have somewhat limited time. Yes, we need to save money for our upcoming wedding and trust me....I'm budgeting there, I'm not a princess!(May '08), my fiance would like to go back to school, we need to pay bills and the extra cash would be nice, but still...I love the bike. But at the same time, I factor in all the things that can happen, that have happened, and riding isn't what it used to be, flying in a plane has me somewhat uncomfortable and that was never me...I used to be at every group ride, now I pass b/c of things that can happen at them...with my accident for example, it happened b/c of a careless driver and I was fortunate enough to walk away a little banged up, but sometimes things do not happen like that. As for my man, his accident caused a dislocated wrist so bad he needed 3 surgeries to fix it and he lost a good deal of strength and movement. He may need to have surgery again to remove the arthritis that built up. People crash for all sorts of reasons and when I have children, riding time will almost vanish with all that I have on the table now....maybe I should wait it out and sell it in a year or so....

By no means am I trying to make myself the "$h!T" with this post, I'm just stating what I've done and why I have no time anymore! I'm not one to make people feel sympathetic towards my desisions, I was simply looking for some input on how you all felt about it. (I hate when people whine about their decisions.) Basically, I'm just tired! I can't even party like I used to on the weekends...some nights I fall asleep at 7:30.....

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM

Wait a minute. 24 with no kids and you think your level of responsibility is high for your age?? How could you be so tired that you can't spend an hour on a Saturday or Sunday morning cruising around in the nice cool air?

Anyway, I am 33 with two boys, 4 and 7 and I just bought my first bike (used) two months ago. It was kind of out of necessity as the gas prices were $$$ and my truck was bad with fuel and my wife needed the truck to do her Tupperware stuff. Anyway, I'm liking the 45mpg and the feel and sound of the bike. I wear a leather jacket and full helmet but know that anyday could be the day. I'm not going to sit around and wait to do something I've wanted to do for 15 years because of something that *might* happen. My wife knows how happy I am riding to and from work and she supports me. If the roles were reversed, I may feel differently, but that's because the kids are young and her life insurance isn't what mine is. (plus she's wrecked more cars than I)

If anything, ride on the weekend early in the AM and then get back into it good when the kids are a bit older. If your S/O doesn't support your feelings, then maybe he really isn't the right one for you.

My vote: Keep the bike and ride when you like.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Trust me, I do understand what your saying. I have been in a few accidents myself some have been pretty bad. I don't ride like a use to and with the new baby harder to find time. But when I have 30 minutes I can spare I am on that bike, even if its just to go get something from the store. Ihave tons of stress and just that little bit of time is worth me keeping my bike, My getaway and stress reliever.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: avas_dad

Trust me, I do understand what your saying. I have been in a few accidents myself some have been pretty bad. I don't ride like a use to and with the new baby harder to find time. But when I have 30 minutes I can spare I am on that bike, even if its just to go get something from the store. Ihave tons of stress and just that little bit of time is worth me keeping my bike, My getaway and stress reliever.
I so hear you...riding is therapeutic!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM

I do understand responsiblity. It only gets worse. But if I didn't need to sell my bike for money issues or something that I seriously had to have, I would keep it. Is it hurting anything sitting there for when you get a channce? I miss the all day riding, riding with my friends and checkin out the spots but its there for me when I can go and do that. Thank GOD. I sold my last one for the same reason 3 years ago because I worked two jobs and that was the worst choice I ever made. There is nothing more relaxing than riding and when that option is not there, Icouldn't relax, all I did was wish I had my bike. Now I own 2,LOL.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you've already made your mind up that riding isn't really a part of your life any more, at least for the time being. That's cool, and I'm sure we can help you find a good home for your bike. Riding will always be waiting for you when it makes sense again, whether that's in six months or sixteen years.

I didn't get back into riding until my kids were about 8 and 10, but I remember very well a kayaking trip I did when my daughter was very young, and I think my son hadn't even been born yet. We were off the Rockaways, and it got very windy and choppy, and our group got scattered. It was early season, like April, and the water was still really cold. I was tired, and at one point a wave capsized me. I was able to roll back up, but realized that things were bad and had the potential to get a lot worse, especially since I was tiring. But I remember thinking that there was no way on earth I wasn't going to get back home to see my daughter. It was very clear what was important in my life.

So yeah, your priorities will change once you have kids, and that's how it should be.

Quick Reply: Thoughts of selling?