Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thoughts of selling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts of selling?

I've been having these thoughts lately and my fiance and I lack time to ride. When the weekend comes, most of the time I'm just too tired from the week to think about riding. My level of responsibility is high now for my age (24), but after Imarry and have kids it is going to be a bigger problem. My fiance says he definitely doesn't want the bikes around b/c god forbid something happens....and we have children at that point. We have both already had mishaps and we were lucky to live through it...on the other hand, I can't imagine parting with my bike...I get bad emotional attachments to vehicles....[&:]

What to do?

Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Default RE: Thoughts of selling?

i guess i read that wrong. oops.

well, im 17 so have never been in this situation but my dad gave up his when my parents got married and he regrets it. we have just now gotten back into riding a few years ago (dirtbikes and atvs). we just got 2 streetbikes too. we love riding as a family. its the most fun we have ever had. they just had a baby 2 years ago and he loves to ride too. he sits on the big atvs and my parents give him rides (and he DOES wear a helmet). i say keep em and make it into a family hobby.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM

Keep it. Look, no one one wants to see a child lose it's mother, but you're speculating too much. You coud get hit by a bus while crossing the street. I don't believe we can control when we go. ****, I just had a friend pass from pancreatic cancer who lived a healthy life. She was 29 andhad 2kids.Poor girlonly lived 2 months after she found out. You just never know. At the risk of sounding corny, don't give up on the things you're passionate about, you'll regret it. The real question you need to ask yourself is; How long can I go without a bike? 1 year? 2?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM

I'm having the same problem. I have returned to school full time and my budget is tight but I REALLY don't want to get rid of my bike. It would make a lot less stress on me monetarily to sell, but it would increase my stress because I can't ride. It's a crappy position to be in whether you need the money or are concerned about safety. Whatever the reasoning, do what you want. If you really miss it bad, you can always buy another one.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Banned

but after Imarry and have kids it is going to be a bigger problem. My fiance says he definitely doesn't want the bikes around b/c god forbid something happens
I go diving with a buddy and his wife. One time, we were 22 miles out in 100 feet of water and they were diving for lobster. We were on the boat following bubble and their marker, they are supposed to stay together. Anyway, my buddy comes up in a panic, they got separated and he was carrying the bouy. She got either narced or 'lobster fever' and didn't stay with him (the person with the bouy always leads, they can't swim against the current, but can move side to side. The person that is unencumbered ALWAYS follows).
Anyway he pops up, almost out of air. She is under for another 7 minutes. That should NEVER happen. one or two minutes is alot when you are diving in deep, cold water 22 miles from shore in an empty ocean (this is not 'easy' diving.. I never seen a grown man panic, scream, cry thinking his two little girls may lose their mother.
The way I see it, riding a motorcycle is much more dangerous than scuba diving. I gotta side with your fiance on this one. When you have kids, it is time to get rid of the bikes and take up golf.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 AM

I don't have money issues but safety issues I think of often, I just became a new dad 2 months ago and that makes me think. Here is what I came up with, I am a rider though and though, I understand my daughter needs her dad but I can get hit in my car driving down the road, when it your time its your time. I am not living my life scared of what could happen because thats outta my control but what is in my control is what makes me happy. So its what you trully want.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're still not married? How long is this engagement anyway?

Once you have children, you might decide that riding on the street is just too dangerous. So sell the bike, or limit it to track use. If, afterthe children are older, you decide to get back into it, you can always get another bike. There was an article in the paper a couple weeks ago about how Harley is marketing more to women riders, and it said a typical new female rider is a woman of about fifty whose kids are grown, and now she has the chance to do something (risky) for herself.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:32 AM

It's a tough call, but I say keep the bikes. You don't even have kids yet... or do you? At least keep them for those weekend getaway rides!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 AM

keep it! You can't give up your passions just because you have kids! (unless your passion is a case of beer a night.....) My wife and I sold her bike when we found out she was Prego. Guess what? a year later we were at the dealership getting her a new one! And I just signed her up for her first track day! Just be carfull! I agree with the Madgreek, life could bump you off an a mirriad of ways! If you have the $ to keep it, then do it! How cool would it have been if your parents were riders and you were rased in that lifestyle? dirtbikes, track days, ect ect? Mine were, I was born in a H-D shop back when motorcycles wern't cool, I LOVED IT!!! Been on two wheels for 22 or so years now and wouldn't have it any other way! I'm looking foward to giving my son the same expierences I had.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
VP

come on your 24 years old talking about how responsible you and how you and your hubby are gonna have kids soon... you know what? you can't try to control everything. sometimes you have to just let life go its own way. It's good for you to let go! Keep the bikes, and IF it becomes a problem that's when you start to think about getting rid of them.

Quick Reply: Thoughts of selling?