Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thoughts on the future.. ooooo ahhhh..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldnt agree more. I am rather new to the riding aspect of things but have been into the sport since before i could drive. Luckily a good friend of my dads rides sport bikes and gave me the "IF YOU GET A 1K IM GONNA (insert imaginative threat here)!!!!

I also have a buddy (not really, a friend of a friend that wont go away...)that bought a brand new 08 ZX-10R, beautiful motorcycle, special edition, the whole 9 yards. It is now a scrap heap, and he is missing his left leg from the knee down. (his own fault, being stupid.) The sad thing about that is i warned him to get a smaller bike and he got all macho about it and had to 1 up the rest of us. Yall can figure out the rest of that story (couldnt bring myself to give him the "i told you so")

But thats the mindset that gives the rest of us a bad rep. Wish guys would use theyre head a lil bit more before its mush on the sidewalk.

-sparks-

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by makin sparks
I couldnt agree more. I am rather new to the riding aspect of things but have been into the sport since before i could drive. Luckily a good friend of my dads rides sport bikes and gave me the "IF YOU GET A 1K IM GONNA (insert imaginative threat here)!!!!

I also have a buddy (not really, a friend of a friend that wont go away...)that bought a brand new 08 ZX-10R, beautiful motorcycle, special edition, the whole 9 yards. It is now a scrap heap, and he is missing his left leg from the knee down. (his own fault, being stupid.) The sad thing about that is i warned him to get a smaller bike and he got all macho about it and had to 1 up the rest of us. Yall can figure out the rest of that story (couldnt bring myself to give him the "i told you so")

But thats the mindset that gives the rest of us a bad rep. Wish guys would use theyre head a lil bit more before its mush on the sidewalk.

-sparks-

^^^

Top post ... Absolutely!!

Jules

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 AM

I'm lining up with Steve on this one.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 AM

Whilst I do agree with you Steve, that if anyone is going to be stupid then they can kill themselves on a 250/500 just as easily as on a 1KRR ... but for the vast majority of reasonably sensible riders who are just starting out I do think the smaller route is best, you know, 250, then 600, then 1KRR.

Here is some of my reasoning and this shows the guys were not just being stupid ... my dad and his mates many years ago told me that there was a spate of bad bike accidents in North Wales, these were not kids being stupid on big bikes, these were mature 30 something married men with families ... they, typically had not owned a bike before and they reached their 30's with some money to spare so treated themselves to a new toy. They would go out and buy fireblades and things ... having only been previously used to a family car before a lot of them didn't realise just how quickly the horizon can come at you on a big bike or how easily it is doing stupid numbers without even trying ..they would arrive at a bend and overcook it and come off, often with fatal results.

Maybe if they had gone smaller first and got used to the progressive speed as they upped power ... I was different, I was weaned on bikes since 16, I have also ridden much bigger bikes and know how quickly they can bend time and space if need be ... these guys were not idiots, they were loving, caring and decent family men who were not used to the power of a big bike ... they simply misjudged it ... because of all these horrible accidents here all of North Wales police went on a huge drive against bikers, speed traps everywhere and signs went up telling bikes to slow down etc ... now if a mature 30 something man can misjudge the speed of a big bike, what about your average 17 year old on a 1KRR ... I know the throttle goes both ways and if you are sensible etc etc ...but.................

Jules

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you simply can not fix stupid!!!!

All we can do is advised, in the end if they want to be a fool n stupid, well, the resr of us do need spare parts yanno

Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I think some of the arguments against owning big bikes too early in a riding career are valid ...to a degree???

BUT ....
I firmly believe that any dick head will cause themselves harm or come to grief no matter what size bike they ride ...

You hit something at 100mph and your gunna get hurt or hurt someone else .....and a 250 can do a 100mph with ease...
I dont disagree with Steves post, but a 1k of any year isnt as forgiving as a smaller bike, n will literally rip a inexperienced rider a new a$$hole b4 they can get oh shyt out of the mouth in a panic situation.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I dont disagree with Steves post, but a 1k of any year isnt as forgiving as a smaller bike, n will literally rip a inexperienced rider a new a$$hole b4 they can get oh shyt out of the mouth in a panic situation.

I knew that's what I was trying to say ..lol

Jules

Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 AM

I have to agree litre bikes can get you into a world of trouble so much easier than smaller machines, i've went up in stage's 125, 400, 500 (twin) and now a 600 i've never been on a 1000, but talking to my m8's that have them and that have rode them for years they are a totally different ball game.

When I first got my 600 I felt there was no need for anything quicker on the roads, but after riding her for 2 year's (with a few scare's along the way) I feel I want to move to a 1000, there is no way I would have jumped straight onto a 1000 from passing my test I know myself I wouldnt be here today, all bikes need to be treated with respect you can get urself into bother on a 50cc but things can happen alot quicker on a litre 1 and if you dont have the experience to deal with the unexpected..... well we all know the answer

I would advise any1 know your limits it dont make you fast just because you have a litre bike, a good rider on a 250 2 stroker will show up mr joe bloggs on his 1000 superbike,

Bike's and car's have alway's been manhood extension's this will always be the case, i've always had more respect for a good steady safe rider than the look at me I can go quick on a straight road oop's missed that corner rider...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the future.. ooooo ahhhh..