Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thoughts about a career change

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

Last edited by meggers; 04-25-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a pretty good gig just not for
Me.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i wouldnt do it because i like to ride too much and if i was pulling loads up and down coasts, there would be no time to have a hobby. dont get me wrong, its great money after a few years and if you like to see the country, go for it. i know alot of truckers that pick up loads from the company i work for and they run local routes everyday, like ESTES G&P FEDEX FREIGHT, but to get local routes where you go home every night to your home, you have to pull long distance for 10+ years.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM

perhaps you should google reviews on the school... i read through two different review sites and they only had bad things to say. 19 cents a mile till you pay off your fees, then 21 cents a mile. tuckers dont get paid over time, therefor i dont think i could put in a 70 hr week and not get my extra bucks.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Thumbs up

I thought a different career path would be more lucrative but apparently not everyone thinks so...

Last edited by NateDieselF4i; 01-17-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM

I was thinking I could do it long enough to pay my student loans and hope to see the lower 48. I dunno. Feeling lost right now.. Dunno what to do with my life.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Originally Posted by meggers
I was thinking I could do it long enough to pay my student loans and hope to see the lower 48. I dunno. Feeling lost right now.. Dunno what to do with my life.
No No No No No NO NO NO NO NO NO

call me if you want the truth...

Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meggers
the last thing you should do if you don't know what you want to do with life (which i don't really think anyone ever knows exactly what they want do, but thats a different discussion) is commit to something like this, because then you're stuck doing it for a long time to pay off the tuition.

my dad owned a trucking/hauling freight company about 95% of his business was "refers" (refrigerated) which is what this company does if you end up working for them afterwards. those guys that drove trucks, ya they made some money, but damn they worked hard for it. they never saw their families practically, the hours for truckers (even long haulers) are pretty irregular, and they change all the time. its hard to get into a rhythm of things.

and with all the rules and laws out there, its not the whole "freedom of the open road" thing that truckers and trucker schools like to preach.

your back will go bad, you'll get tired of waffle house and mcdonalds.

just my opinion, but if you're not sure/ you haven't talked to any truckers/ you don't know any truckers - i wouldn't do it until otherwise

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM

I agree with others. Its not a path I would suggest taking. Plus, the jobs aren't there like they use to be.

the last thing you should do if you don't know what you want to do with life (which i don't really think anyone ever knows exactly what they want do, but thats a different discussion) is commit to something like this, because then you're stuck doing it for a long time to pay off the tuition.
^^^^I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM

As a retirement career or if you are not tied down in a committed relationship, to see the country sure. Otherwise there is just too much time lost with the ones you care about.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about a career change