Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

To those who crashed before

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those who crashed before

If you were hurt bad in the crash, will you feel ok to use the same jacket etc after you are all healed up and ready to ride?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't hurt bad in my low sides, Yumi, but I'll give an opinion anyways

You were hit by a truck. And honestly you injuries were fairly minor given the fact you were... well hit by a truck. And none of the injuries were in areas covered by your jacket.

If you're asking whether or not to switch jacket brand / type, I'd ask you why since it obviously protected you fairly well. If you're asking whether to replace the jacket because it was in a wreck, I'd say look at the damage to the jacket and decide. You know if it has been compromised. I replaced mine cause the shoulder slider had obviously been compromised (irreparably probably)

If anything, I'd be looking at supplementing my leg armor

Edit:
Name:  IMAG0179.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  38.5 KB

The shoulder slider in my jacket. Aside from being ground flat in the impact area, you can see where the area around the armor got worn away. That can't be repaired. But seeing I wasn't even sore in my upper body, I bought almost the exact same jacket to replace it.

Last edited by Kuroshio; 06-17-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 AM

I'd say a lot will have to do with what type of material it was. Leather is certainly tougher than textile. Also, you will want to inspect the armor. Most jackets have armor that is removable so you can inspect it and or replace it. If all of the armor is ok and didn't suffer any damage, that is a good sign. The next step is to look at all of the stitching. If any of it is suspect, you can have it repaired, but you would have to weigh the cost of a new jacket or repairing this one. Then, you will have to really inspect the material. If its leather, make sure it hasn't gone through too deep in any spots. A few scratches are usually not an issue. Melted or heavy wear is usually not so good. If its textile and has rash on it, i'd say pitch it. I have yet to see a textile jacket that has rash on it to be worthy of using again.

Jackets are certainly not in the same category as helmets. Usually once a helmet has had an impact, they are not suggeted for use again. That has more to do with the foam liner inside the helmet and the helmet case. Helmets are a one time impact and the structure of the helmet can be comprimised easily. Jackets on the other hand can be re-used.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I can think of only two reasons why you would replace a piece of gear after a crash:

1) It was damaged or worn beyond a reasonable limit, and won't protect you nearly as well the next time.
2) You are superstitious against it, and you want to avoid bad juju.

If neither of those qualify for you, enjoy the fact that you're fine and dandy after a crappy incident and ride away.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Aken
2) You are superstitious against it, and you want to avoid bad juju..
Not superstitious, but I started to have uncomfortable feeling towards it. If I put it on, I feel like my mind will re-live the incident more personally. Jacket itself is fine. No damage and yes it did protected me from getting road rash. I dumped the gloves right after I came back from hospital. And kevlar jeans which also protected me from not getting road rash was cut in emergency. I replaced the bluetooth mouth piece cover because it had blood on it from my lip. So I just have this jacket, well, and the boots from the day.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Yum, if the jacket makes you uncomfortable or doubtful in your abilities in any way, replace it.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inspection will let you know about most of your gear. Burns/abrasion damage should be obvious,
and you should easily be able to judge whether repair is possible.

Helmets (even if they show no sign of damage), should be replaced if they took any
type of impact. They can be micro-cracked and the foam liner was probably compressed.

The question of mental distress/discomfort from the used equipment?

If it adds any distraction to your ability to stay focused on the road,
I would closet and replace it. To do otherwise, risks lowering your ability
to avoid the next potential incident.

Time heals all, eventually it may find a place back in your wardrobe.

Glad to see you on the way to recovery, Ern

Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The question of mental distress/discomfort from the used equipment?

If it adds any distraction to your ability to stay focused on the road,
I would closet and replace it. To do otherwise, risks lowering your ability
to avoid the next potential incident.

I'd say Ern has it spot on ! -
I'd trade it in - keep a picture for the future but get rid of it if it worries you and don't think of it again.

Hope this helps, Yum - glad you're on the mend and riding again......

Old 06-17-2012, 12:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't replace, upgrade...get a better one.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Thanks. You helped me make up my mine

Quick Reply: To those who crashed before