Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thinking of buying a Vfr800

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Vfr800

So with the F4i almost done, I need a new project. I found a 2000 model Vfr800 and wondering what you all think about them. The bike right now is totaled but has a good frame and is a good place to start a project build.

I've never rode the a V4 bike, honestly I've never seen one around where I live. Just wondering how the power band is on them, also how they feel when riding.

Really any kind of input, I really don't know much about these bikes at all.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a couple of guys that owned the VFR800 - both wish they had never sold theirs.

I've always liked the look of the bike, even with the factory hard cases for sport-touring fun.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
I know a couple of guys that owned the VFR800 - both wish they had never sold theirs.

I've always liked the look of the bike, even with the factory hard cases for sport-touring fun.

If I can get it, its just gonna be something for me to tinker on. I love the look they have, and the sound of the exhaust is cool. No other bike sounds anything like that at all.

I hope to go pick it up Monday or Tuesday. They guy said he would try to hold it for me, but he is a 6 hour drive away. So if he doesn't sale it over the weekend then it should be coming home with me.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM

my last bike was a little v4(85' vf500f)
i loved it and even with the stock exhaust it sounded pretty good.
But if you do get it then a really good forum is vfrworld.com
tons of guys on there that know the viffers inside and out.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can't go wrong with a VFR. You should be able to get out what you put in. Not as sporty and powerful as a CBR but a better do everything bike.

I love the v-4 sound.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM

I missed buying it by 10 mins. I got home today with after loading the money on my paypal card. The electric was off due to a fire down the road. So I waited, soon as electric came back on I logged on to pay the guy and found out the bike was sold at 2:17pm and it was 2:18 when I logged on.

ERRRRRRR!!!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn that sucks...

v4's kick ***. they're smooth, the sound is awesome, more linear power curve than an I4.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jveach
I missed buying it by 10 mins. I got home today with after loading the money on my paypal card. The electric was off due to a fire down the road. So I waited, soon as electric came back on I logged on to pay the guy and found out the bike was sold at 2:17pm and it was 2:18 when I logged on.

ERRRRRRR!!!!!
Bummer, but keep looking. I have a 2011 VFR & I love it. Keep in mind that some earlier VFR's suffered from the same dreaded reg problem as the CBR's (& VTR's).
They are a very stable bike at speed & once you get used to they way they handle, their not bad in the curves either. The V4 is lumpier that an inline 4, but its still a smooth power delivery, but feels great when you ring its neck. It took a lot for me to get rid of my much loved CBR, but I'm glad I did.

Name:  Newie2.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  211.0 KB

Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

How can anyone with red blood cells in their body not just love that whole single side swingarm set up?

And I guess it keeps all the chain lube and brake dust just on one side of the wheel, so it might be half as easy to keep clean?

Maybe that's why you never see an LHS photo, they're all just too grubby and manky on that side?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
How can anyone with red blood cells in their body not just love that whole single side swingarm set up?
NO axle and nut. I have not yet looked into how the the rear wheel is adjusted for aliment on the VFR. It has to be simplier than the axle and nut or the double sided swing-arm.

I have always like the VFR. At 6'1" it's tight quarters for me so I had to pass.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Vfr800