Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

They put the thing on their head

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see all the points. On the rare occasion that I will go without my hardhat, It feels wonderful. I cant remeber when I last did that however. At any speed if the worst occurs, your neck wont keep your head from bouncing all over the pavement. In my day I drag raced and have seen what happens to the helmet when you fall. Point is they break or crack - point taken.
To the earlier start of this thread we should know that if the helmet hits the ground ,it's integrety is compromised severly. It could pop wide open if you fall again.(doing the same dumb stunt )
My last ride before it got too cold and snowey here was in the evening and I had to dodge a "road alligater" in the form of a tree branch in my lane. It was dusk and I almost didnt see it in time to see what it was. Large enough to have taken me down if I had hit it. Not just cars, almost everything is the enemy. I wear the hardhat no matter what. I live in a state where I dont have too. and I like that ...

Old 12-06-2009, 02:58 PM

I'm too paranoid to ride without one, I have a hard head and all, but it's no match to the side of a car/tree/rock/road. Plus, I don't feel like getting hit in the face by bugs/rocks/rain.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Well here's an interesting question for those who choose no lids: How would you feel if your various insurance carriers chose not to cover any injuries resulting from an accident with no lid on?

Say if you get in an accident without wearing a lid, whoever covers your motorcycle pays for the property damage but doesn't allow any medical coverage. Your AD&D carrier chose not to cover your accident. Your life insurance carrier chose not to pay any benefits.

What would you do in that case?
i would still ride without it when i felt it was appropriate to do so ....but this is a what if situation just like i could say what if they decided to do that if you rode a motorcycles because it is a risk we chose to put ourselves in over a car,hell dirtbikes ,atv etc etc if we begin to worry about every what if situation in life and create laws for all of them we would never leave our front doors.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drax13
i would still ride without it when i felt it was appropriate to do so ....but this is a what if situation just like i could say what if they decided to do that if you rode a motorcycles because it is a risk we chose to put ourselves in over a car,hell dirtbikes ,atv etc etc if we begin to worry about every what if situation in life and create laws for all of them we would never leave our front doors.
Its not that far fetched a scenario. I couldn't be hired by a company because... I'm a smoker. Their health insurance stipulated no smoking. And i chose not to give up smoking.

I could easily see the insurance companies absolutely LOVING to be legally able to deny coverage if a person rides without wearing a helmet. And if they stated up front, in big bold letters, that it was a requirement to do so in order to be covered it would be completely legal. Its not like health insurance is required. Nor accidental death & dismemberment. Nor life insurance. And all Geico / Progressive / State Farm would do is cover property damage and injuries to others to be in the legal right.

Seems like a win / win situation to me. People get to go without wearing a lid. I get cheaper rates for insurance cause we'd not get hit with the costs of a possibly avoidable injury.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

Anybody want to say his helmet didn't work? Still looks good to me. Any idea's what he would look like if he didn't wear it? Same result though . I always wear mine after I had my accident. I wish I kept that helmet, when I bought it my Dad couldn't believe I spent that much money on one. I brought it home to show him.

As for Insurance company's being off the hook. The Goverment (us, me. everybody) would be takeing care of your dumb ***.

Quick Reply: They put the thing on their head