Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Test drives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Test drives?

I'm neither buying or selling, but just curious.

When buying a bike, what are your expectations with being allowed to test ride it? This is a double edged sword for experienced riders, cause we all wanna ride to make sure nothing feels weird - we inherently distrust anything we're told, right?

As a seller though, we hesitate to let anyone we don't know to ride our bike.

I'd say if I'm selling, give me cash, I give you title. Show me motorcycle endorsement on your license. You go ride. Don't like it, we swap back. You like it, we go get that title notarized. You wreck it, we go get that title notarized. No motorcycle endorsement - you can follow along while I ride it. I might be talked into letting you ride 2up, but it would be a big stretch.

I'd expect those terms from a seller, or something in the ballpark, right?

Second question - buying new from a dealer - do they typically allow test rides like an auto dealer?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those sound like OK terms, I'd be comfortable with them.

In 40 years of motorcycling, I have never seen a dealer allow a test drive of a new bike. Anybody?

In the race side, we let people test bikes for sale all the time. But we're a race club, we know most everyone, and it's understood if you crash it, it's yours. Probably have spare plastic that comes with it, though.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

The guy I bought my bike from it was cash in hand and you can test ride it, I didn't have a motorcycle license but I rode it home. Cash talks bs walks... I couldn't care less if I was selling it to someone with out a motorcycle license. Also nevada state law wont hold me liable. Yes its a accident on my bike but its the rider not the bike if he wrecks. Lawsuit maybe but I have a good lawyer... try it lol....

But the dealer only preps a bike if its been sold other than that all the ones are sitting on the show room floor dry... that is around here of course can't speak for the rest of the united states...

Old 01-12-2011, 02:09 AM

What has happened in the past when i have had test rides is they take my details and proof of address,if you crash it you brought it or at ducati i think it was a £3000 bill if you crashed it,these were on new bikes

Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 AM

But the dealer only preps a bike if its been sold other than that all the ones are sitting on the show room floor dry... that is around here of course can't speak for the rest of the united states...
same here. Since the bikes on the showroom floor are not prepped to ride, they aren't going to prep them just for someone to test ride them. If the person doesn't buy the bike, it would have to re-prep it for storage.

I almost bought a left over RC51. It was 4 years old, and the dealer wouldn't let me test ride it. I had some concerns because of where it was stored, and the condition the bike looked, (flat tires, inch of dust, battey wouldn't charge) and they still wouldn't. I understand it, but they lost a buyer because of it. If everything was good on the bike, I was going to buy it. I even told them they could hold onto the money, but I needed to make sure the bike was good. They told me it would still have the warranty. I asked if the tires would, and he said no. Even though there were creases where the bike was resting on the flats for who knows how long.

But yeah, cash in hand is a pretty normal situation. I wouldn't let anyone ride my bike without the money in hand. I've even sold 2 bikes the same way. Money in hand then they can test ride it.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It varies, Ive heard about so many scams people loosing their machines to clever crims.
your idea sounds sensible. I've sold & bought a few bikes privately, regardless of what precautions you take, make sure your insured. I always provide good ID & stuff when I've gone to check out a private sale & I wait to be invited to take the bike for a test ride. In most cases you can tell if a bike is worth taking for a test anyway.
With a dealer? Well that gets better the older you get, as they seem to trust old farts. Taking a bike for a test ride from a dealer is no different than buying a new car, the dealer if he is serious should let you take at the very least a demo. They will ask you to sign a waiver with the usual "You bend it, you mend it" clause.
You just don't walk in & say 'Give me the keys & I'll take that for a test ride", you have to build rapport, let the salesman feel like their reeling you in, ask about low interest loans, servicing costs etc. The more time you spend, the more money they feel they have invested & a test ride is the clincher (they think). Plus, if you do this, never give them your right phone number or email, as you will never know a moments peace.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:59 AM

I rode over to the new powerhouse honda, and was just looking at the new repsol 1000rr. salesman came over and practically tried to force the keys into my hand haha. no need to build any relationship there. he had the dealer plate in hand ready for me to go for a boot. all he wanted was my license and a waiver saying an accident would require me to only pay the deductible...sadly i was too afraid to ride it haha....maybe in the summer

Old 01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know BMW sometimes let people test ride. Sprock took an S1000 out if i'm not mistaken.

If it were me, as a private seller, I'd set a few conditions
  1. Bring cash or cashier's check
  2. We meet in a bank parking lot
  3. I hold the full payment amount during the test ride
  4. They sign a contract stating that if they wreck or drop the bike, they purchased it

Meeting at the bank is to verify the payment isn't counterfeit. The bank can also notarize the signed agreement concerning the test ride. If they want to negotiate price, it'll be after the test ride. But they have to show up with the full asking price. If they can't agree to that, clear my phone line for serious buyers

Also, meeting at the bank helps to keep the bike's location secret (you can try following me back... if you can )

Last edited by Kuroshio; 01-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM

when I sold my blade the dude came over looked at it/sat on it and said how much??? i replied X amount he said sold ...easy as that....although I did sell her dirt cheap

Plus it was 20* outside so he was a puss ,I couldnt believe he didnt even want me to start her...oh well got my cash

Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM

I've always taken/given test rides on used bikes with cash in hand and insurance. I refused to buy a new bike from the local honda dealer because they wouldn't even turn the bike on without signing over the title. I told them I wouldn't buy a lawnmower without turning it on, why would I spend ~8k on a bike with no idea that it actually behaved as I wanted.

Quick Reply: Test drives?