Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Televisions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Televisions

In the market for a new tv. Going with a rear projection DLP or LCD. Would like to hear some reccomends if yall got em. Want 50 inch or up.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Televisions

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond 57" RPTV. I love it. I already new what I was getting as far as picture quality. Sure it isnt as crisp as LCD or Plasma but you really cant beat the price for size and quality. You do have to deal with the light possibly going out, which there is no timeframe for it to happen. Than you will be out $200, however I would rather pay that to keep my $2500 tv rather than have screen burn in or even a broken screen and be f'ed. Another good thing is if you happen to buy from a dealer, if your screen gets scratched you can order another screen to have it replaced. Not sure of the cost. Movies look great and tv looks great, I am very happy with my purchase.

Brian

Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 AM

The largest you are going to find LCD's without costing $7k+ is 52inches whiles Plasma's will top out at 60inches and rear projection is 70inches. If you have alot of light coming in the room and are an avid gamer go with LCD. Plasma's have a glass screen which reflects alot of light and have burn in issues, not nearly as bad as they used to but not great if your a gamer. Rear projection are kinda on there way out along with the CRT televisions. With rear projection you can get a great picture with higher resolution for the cost or a smaller LCD. The only downside is one they are large, two the viewing angles suck, three if the lamps go out its typically $250+ for a new lamp.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ORIGINAL: Triax

If you have alot of light coming in the room and are an avid gamer go with LCD. Plasma's have a glass screen which reflects alot of light and have burn in issues, not nearly as bad as they used to but not great if your a gamer. Rear projection are kinda on there way out along with the CRT televisions. With rear projection you can get a great picture with higher resolution for the cost or a smaller LCD. The only downside is one they are large, two the viewing angles suck, three if the lamps go out its typically $250+ for a new lamp.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-20-2008, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Triax

The largest you are going to find LCD's without costing $7k+ is 52inches whiles Plasma's will top out at 60inches and rear projection is 70inches. If you have alot of light coming in the room and are an avid gamer go with LCD. Plasma's have a glass screen which reflects alot of light and have burn in issues, not nearly as bad as they used to but not great if your a gamer. Rear projection are kinda on there way out along with the CRT televisions. With rear projection you can get a great picture with higher resolution for the cost or a smaller LCD. The only downside is one they are large, two the viewing angles suck, three if the lamps go out its typically $250+ for a new lamp.
How often does the lamps go out? Im not a huge gamer, even thou I will have a ps3 hooked up to it. I dont watch tv alot either thou. So I might go with the rear projection for the price if that bulb doesnt go out alot. I have a friend who has had a rear projection for 5 years or so and he hasnt had to replace the bulb yet.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM
VP

DLP or LCP are the two better options IMO.... never sold em but they cost less and are typically the same quality in pictures.

Best Buy had an LG 42" LCD 8k:1 contrast 1080p for $899 this past weekend.... they've got some great deals on TVs. Every other 1080p LCD I found that day was $1299 and up

Also try Amazon.com for good deals too.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

My opinion DLP. My preferred brand is the Mitsubishi Diamond series, own one and love it. Been told should get like 10,000 hours on ave out of a bulb, thats plenty for me.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Samsung is top notch in LCD tv's. LG is not bad. Sony is always a salf bet for the most part. I like LCD better then any of the other's and they are safe to game on.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Samsung is a good model, they are leaders in the cutting edge technology that is LCD, but I got the Sharp Aquos and I tell you, that TV is real sweet. Everywhere I went, my eye always settled on the Aquos when I was staring at the giant wall at Best Buy or Bernies or wherever they have giant walls of TV's. So I went with it. Totally happy with it...and it has built in surround sound bar so if you don't have surround sound speakers yet you get good quality sound from it to. 52" should be just north of $2000.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Been looking at the 61 inch samsung dlp rear projection. found it for 1700. sounds like a winner if the bulb last.