Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tattoos...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tattoos...

tLots of people here are interested in getting their first tatoo. I'm sure a lot of us have thought about it. As for me, I doubt I will ever do it, because even though I have had ideas, I can't imagine something will be meaningful to me that I want forever. My wife has a tramp stamp. It's a great job (big butterfly), but shows that we grew up in the 90's. I told her to get it on her hip, but she was set on lower back. LOL.

The one idea that really stuck with me was is based on a Greek superstition of the evil eye. It is mostly a belief than another person who harbors ill will toward you, or is jealous of what you have, can put a curse on you, and ruin your life. A small blue glass eye charm called the mati is supposed to fix the problem. I put matis on my kids. It sounds silly, but my family is serious about it. It's probably the only superstition I buy into. The story why I believe is too long to tell now, but it was enough for me to keep a charm on me and my kids. Is it reasonable? No, but it makes me feel better. I've had a few tatoo ideas integrating the mati. Actually, I did a sketch as a kid of an image that was always stuck in my head which often integrated the mati into the center os what is a bit like a byzyntine cross:

Name:  Cross-Mati.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  94.1 KB

It's more a rough idea, but you can get a bit of an understanding from the pic.

So, what ideas have all of you had? What is the significance? Are you definitely going to do it? Have you done so already? If so, are you happy with it/them?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Default RE: Tatoos...

8 Tatts strong and still going.. I love them to death.. once you get one.. you're hooked! Everyone will always tell you not to get one F them! you live once.. no regrets. its just like everyone told you how their friend died on a motorcycle when you decided to get one, right?

All I recommmend is going to someone that is recommended, check out thier portfolio. make sure they dont SUCK. You dont want some ugly **** on you forever. And cover ups are expensive!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love em...i have 8, and want more...i swear they put crack in the ink...i have a cross on my left shoulder, nautical stars on each side of my chest, a tribal on my right shoulder, psalm 46:1 on the inside of my left wrist, the new york yankees logo on my right leg, and i recently got a straight flush (6-10 of spades) on the inside of my right arm (it hurt likea BITCH there, dont ever get a tattoo on the inside of your arm)

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 AM

I have a few. The most recent one I got was for my mother, cause shes real sick. She always loved Koi fish and it also can stand for love, devotion, so I go one, I am adding on this Christmas for my dad to it.

Name:  100_1813.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  95.5 KB

Old 11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an obsession, an addiction and just plain healthy entertainment.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 AM

OH yes it is ! I have a few and will no doubt end up with a few more over the years. No regrets and i started at 17.

What i told myself when i was young and got my first was "no names, nothing that isn't timeless, and nothing i would see at 75 and be pissed about"

Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM

Agreed, very addictive. Going for my next soon, but took a different approach to my first. I wanted a design going around my left forearm but before getting it I'd draw it on my arm each day and did that for 2-3 weeks, just to make sure I wouldn't want to change the design and that I'd like it there permanently. So of course I loved it and on my 18th B-Day went and got it inked. 3 now, and plan on many, many more. My back has a broken cross and I'm planning on turning that into more of a mural of heaven/hell, got a few ideas. I draw all my own so that keeps them original and feel better knowing that no one else has the exact design.
Cross...

Shamrock...

Tribal...

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That cross is sweet man

Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks, gotta get the color re-done, want it to be more of a amber staind glass look

Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM

I posted this before on this forum, but I have a ring of binary going around my ankle that spells out "peace" when converted to ascii. I got it because of my love of computers, and because bits make up all of the technology we take for granted these days, and probably for the rest of civilization...so I don't think I will ever regret it. I choose it to say peace because my mom has peace on her back in Kanji. Mine has a lot of meaning to me...thats whats important when getting a tattoo

Quick Reply: Tattoos...