Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tattoo question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tattoo question

I want to get another tattoo pretty soon. I want to get my last name on the back of my arm. Is there any tattoo artists here or someone that has this done. My last name is Smith so im hopin it wont be too much money.
Any one have a ballpark guesstimate how much it would be?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

35 ish really just depends on how artsy you want it

Old 05-31-2009, 07:30 PM

Really? 35 lol
I was expecting like 100 something.
I dont want anything crazy just like old english letters or something along those lines.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

if you dont want it huge that is, just really depends id' say 100 max if you get it over your whole arm really. lettering is pretty simple

Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Really depends on the size/design, like has been said. Go find a local shop and ask Shouldn't be over 100 in my experience.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 PM

As someone who has a fair amount of work, there is a saying regarding tattoos that rings very true.

"Cheap tattoos aren't good, good tattoos aren't cheap."

If you're serious about getting some work done, do yourself a favor a find a good, reputable artist. You'll be glad you did. I play the club scene in a band around my area and it's amazing after awhile how easy it is to spot bad ink. I saw *tons* of horribly done tattoos this weekend alone. Bad tribals, bad arm bands (not sure I've ever seen a "good" arm band, but that's a different conversation), just poorly done work.

Tattoos will naturally fade and age with time, but good work really is worth the price, and will last longer. Even if it's something as simple as plain black english style script lettering. You don't need to go to Miami Ink, but just visit a bunch of different shops. Any respectable artist will have photo albums of their previous work, and likely printouts of any magazines they've been featured in, so you know what you'll be getting.

Plus, if you refer your friends, and go back to the same person the next time (trust me, tattoos are addictive, there will likely be a next time ) the prices will start to drop. The guy who has done most of my work quoted me between 1500 and 2000 for a leg piece, and in the end I paid 680.

Don't skimp!!

Have fun!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:24 PM

lol true I would not skimp on a tatoo cuz its with ya forever mon

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 PM

Timmah, if you don't mind me asking: what kind of leg piece did you get that was quoted at $2K? My cousin was quoted at $1400 I believe for a full back piece, was yours very detailed?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 AM

My left leg is "sleeved" (I never know what to call it on the leg) from the knee down. If you spread out the area of skin that the leg has it could be close to being the size of a back piece...maybe.

It's fully colored and has *tons* of shading, which is probably why. I knew when my artist told me that price that it wouldn't be the final number, he's gives me better deals every time I go in there. Like I said, I paid 680 in the end for about 12 hours of work. Comes out to about 58 bucks an hour, not including the time he spent making the original stencil and stuff. Some high end places charge 100 or even 150 per hour. It's a small shop in Winnipeg, but I keep going back to him because he's so nice and accommodating. He doesn't rush to get you in and out and he's super friendly, does good work and charges a good price. He's earned my trust and I know any idea that I give him will always end up looking better than I originally pictured it in my head.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Okay i went to the place at the corner of my street and talked to him and he said depending on the lettering between 120 and 150. Ill prolly go to where i got my first tat and talk to him

Quick Reply: Tattoo question