Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Talking n00bs out of buying big bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

tell him he'll be a better and faster rider at the end of his first year on a 600.

on a 600, he'll learn how to ride, and learn how to ride pretty fast if he/she chooses to

on a newer liter bike - he's just going to learn how to hang on

Old 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flip side of the coin...Tell him to read this thread. We don't know him at all.
If he see's himself in some of our comments, maybe it will make him think about it.

Ern

Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell him he can buy and buy a used 600/650 and resell it in a month for no loss if he doesn't like it. Wager him a happy meal as further enticement.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
Its hard to suggest anything without knowing the guy personally. I've seen beginners start out on liter bikes and do extremely well. I've also seen people start out on 500cc and wreck.

My opinion may be vastly different than others, but I honestly don't think the size of the bike is the most important factor. Sure it can have importance, but the mentallity of the person riding the bike is much more important. A liter bike is only going go as fast as the person riding it takes it. If the person is level headed and understands the power, they can be fine. If they don't respect the bike, they can get hurt.

Also, thinking a 600cc bike is safer is a false sense of security that gets people in trouble quickly. 600cc bike are rediculously fast and will get you hurt just as easy as a larger cc bike. Sometimes its easier to get hurt because people don't expect a 600cc bike to be as fast as they are.

As already suggested, he should take a MSF course. But only you know your friend well enough to give him advice. You seem to be pretty level headed and if you explain things to him the way you have here, he will probably listen. You can also have him get some insurance quotes. Some insurances charge a hefty price for anything over 600cc's. That added with the lower initial cost of a 600, and the better fuel economy may be able to persuade him to a 600. Depending on his financial status, a 600 may make more sense.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Originally Posted by Conrice
tell him he'll be a better and faster rider at the end of his first year on a 600.

on a 600, he'll learn how to ride, and learn how to ride pretty fast if he/she chooses to

on a newer liter bike - he's just going to learn how to hang on
I have a two 400cc bikes that I love to ride. They are more fun on the track than any liter bike I have ridden.

Friends who ride the bigger bikes on the track get on one of my 400s and can't keep up with me...

Check out this thread for a visual aide...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-...u-ride-138871/

Last edited by vfrman; 06-04-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Its hard to suggest anything without knowing the guy personally. I've seen beginners start out on liter bikes and do extremely well. I've also seen people start out on 500cc and wreck.

My opinion may be vastly different than others, but I honestly don't think the size of the bike is the most important factor. Sure it can have importance, but the mentallity of the person riding the bike is much more important. A liter bike is only going go as fast as the person riding it takes it. If the person is level headed and understands the power, they can be fine. If they don't respect the bike, they can get hurt.

Also, thinking a 600cc bike is safer is a false sense of security that gets people in trouble quickly. 600cc bike are rediculously fast and will get you hurt just as easy as a larger cc bike. Sometimes its easier to get hurt because people don't expect a 600cc bike to be as fast as they are.

As already suggested, he should take a MSF course. But only you know your friend well enough to give him advice. You seem to be pretty level headed and if you explain things to him the way you have here, he will probably listen. You can also have him get some insurance quotes. Some insurances charge a hefty price for anything over 600cc's. That added with the lower initial cost of a 600, and the better fuel economy may be able to persuade him to a 600. Depending on his financial status, a 600 may make more sense.
^^^ I like what you've said here about the mentality of the rider. He is going to be taking the MSF course this summer but is still going to be buying whatever his dream bike happens to be on whatever day he happens to make his purchase. I've surrendered from my battle haha. Can't change his mind and I suppose it's not really my place to change his mind. I'm just going to offer tips and riding advice when asked and help him to ride whatever he decides on getting as safely/responsibly as possible.

Thanks for your input, everybody. It was very much appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vfrman
I have a two 400cc bikes that I love to ride. They are more fun on the track than any liter bike I have ridden.

Friends who ride the bigger bikes on the track get on one of my 400s and can't keep up with me...

Check out this thread for a visual aide...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-...u-ride-138871/
my wife's gs500 was one of the most fun bikes i've ever ridden. you can flog the hell out of them (small bikes) and they definitely give you a HUGE smile in return.

it's nice to clutchless upshift through 3 gears at WOT and only be going 70mph as opposed to 120 on a literbike if you're riding on the street and i'm sure you can get closer to the max potential of a small bike as opposed to a big bike on the track.

all in all, it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow. and as a noob, like i said, you'll actually learn how to ride the bike as opposed to just hang on

Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM

I just bought my first 1000cc bike (08 1000rr) from someone who bought it for his first bike. he put 400 mi on it in a month and long story short it's mine now, haha.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always say this IMO, it's not always about the power...skilled rider can kick *** on a 250cc Vs anything...if fair lady is and indeed the only form of riding...then of course HP dominant straight away....

Like what members here says, take the MSF course...and try going to DMV for your skills test with a 1000cc liter bike...it's so tough to pass those on a 600cc let alone on a 1000cc.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 PM

My first Bike was a 99 900rr -1 +2 and it is a mean machine. Ive ridden other bikes and I dirt bike a lot so Its not like i just jumped on a 900 thinking I was a bad ***. As long as your not scare and at the same tiime you respect and know what the bike can do and arent trying to be a bad *** everywhere you go he should be fine Tell him to look at the 750 gxsr That ones still fast and safer.

Showing him videos Might scare him a little too but also If he test drives a 600-750 he might like it after all So maybe its a matter of test riding it too.

Quick Reply: Talking n00bs out of buying big bikes