Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Talking n00bs out of buying big bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talking n00bs out of buying big bikes

I was just wondering if anybody here is highly skilled in the ways of talking HP junkies out of buying the first bike of their choice. I have a friend who was looking at an '06 or newer gsxr1000. I'm trying to look out for a friend of mine and have never actually had to have "the talk" with anybody before. I've finally talked him out of the 1000 and hes looking at 600's. I tried to sneak in a craigslist ad for a ninja 650 hoping that the price and displacement would appeal to him. He was totally for it until he looked up power/torque specs and decided they were "gayyyy." He's a friend of mine and I'm just trying to look out for him without sounding like I'm telling him he's "not man enough for a bike like that." because that will seal the deal for him getting the biggest and baddest machine he can find. I guess I'm asking if anybody has ever helped a friend get into motorcycling. What did you talk to them about? How did the conversation go? Did you try to push them away from the idea of a super sport or did you just give them your advice and let them do what they wanted with it?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The subject comes up on a regular basis.
It's hard to convince some guys that a 1000cc bike isn't the best option, but with others it's "start on a 250 and you'll be fine" - depends on the person and the size of their ego and wallet.
None of us like to see anyone get hurt, and the more cc's you have under your right hand as a beginner, the more likely that is to happen. There are exceptions to every rule, and we encourage new members to take the MF course as a start and learn the ropes. It does save lives and maybe the "friend" will listen to the instructors more than they will to you.
Maybe you know some other people that your friend will listen to and make the right choices.
For me a 10000cc sports bike is NOT what I'd like to see any new rider trying to learn on, but use whatever persuasion you can - maybe point him here to the Forum to chat to those of us who have been riding a while.
Best I can do, but let us know how he gets on.
(47 years in the saddle...........but remember there are old riders, and bold riders, but very few old, bold riders. )

Old 06-02-2012, 02:31 PM

Its hard to suggest anything without knowing the guy personally. I've seen beginners start out on liter bikes and do extremely well. I've also seen people start out on 500cc and wreck.

My opinion may be vastly different than others, but I honestly don't think the size of the bike is the most important factor. Sure it can have importance, but the mentallity of the person riding the bike is much more important. A liter bike is only going go as fast as the person riding it takes it. If the person is level headed and understands the power, they can be fine. If they don't respect the bike, they can get hurt.

Also, thinking a 600cc bike is safer is a false sense of security that gets people in trouble quickly. 600cc bike are rediculously fast and will get you hurt just as easy as a larger cc bike. Sometimes its easier to get hurt because people don't expect a 600cc bike to be as fast as they are.

As already suggested, he should take a MSF course. But only you know your friend well enough to give him advice. You seem to be pretty level headed and if you explain things to him the way you have here, he will probably listen. You can also have him get some insurance quotes. Some insurances charge a hefty price for anything over 600cc's. That added with the lower initial cost of a 600, and the better fuel economy may be able to persuade him to a 600. Depending on his financial status, a 600 may make more sense.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-02-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Its all in the wrist. But its certainly easier to get yourself in trouble with larger bikes.

I'd tell him to at least look at 600cc bikes. Besides they're easier to flick around in the twisties.

Hopefully he's got a level head and respects the machine.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Id advise away from the 650 ninja.... thing has a fourwheeler engine on it. I rode my friends the other day and id much rather ride a 250. the 650 just has weird positioning and no git up and go. struggles to get up to speed on the interstate. I started out on my f4i and just knew i had 2 take it easy until i got more comfortable with riding

Old 06-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Point out the power to weight ratio of the 600 class.
It's better than all but the most monsterous car builds.
Maybe do the video research and show him some of the
fail vids of idiots that have more ***** than brains.

You might even consider whether it would be better to talk
him into staying with cars. If you are already concerned enough
to be trying to talk him down to the 600 class, it might even save his life.

We're all guessing, if he's your best friend, you should know.
Whatever way he goes, convince him to get a complete set of gear.
Helmet/jacket/pants/boots and gloves.
Show him some pictures you googled up on "de-gloving".
The fine art of pealing your skin off at high speed,
leaving nothing but abraded muscle and bone. ewww!

Good luck, Ern

Old 06-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
My opinion may be vastly different than others, but I honestly don't think the size of the bike is the most important factor. Sure it can have importance, but the mentallity of the person riding the bike is much more important. A liter bike is only going go as fast as the person riding it takes it. If the person is level headed and understands the power, they can be fine. If they don't respect the bike, they can get hurt.
Very well put! As a newbie myself I think it's all about your mentality, and of course I would add age/other experience as a driver an important factor too.

Originally Posted by kiithsjet
. He was totally for it until he looked up power/torque specs and decided they were "gayyyy."
In this case it sounds to me like it's a very good idea that you have a good chat with your friend.

Last edited by Hojen77; 06-03-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: (Sp.)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:58 AM

i have a couple of friends that are as intelligent as yours. most of them want to start on a 1000 because theyre "too heavy for 600s" or theyll want to get a 1000 in a year or 600s are too slow etc etc etc. i try asking them how theyre too heavy for a 600 and tell them itll move them along more than they can imagine. One wouldnt even crack the throttle on my f4i in first gear cuz he was too scared, buuuuut he wanted a 1000.
They all think they can ride or handle it cuz they rode dirtbikes or this and that, and honestly i did too. I thought i could start out on a 600 and be ok and i did and ive had no problems ever since but ive always respected these bikes and their power well before i was ever even allowed to drive or own one.
I pretty much just tell them theyre retarded or dumb as sh** every time they bring it up until they get what im trying to tell them and it seems to have worked. As was mentioned there are always exceptions and some guys are certainly capable and responsible enough to start on a liter bike and not kill themselves. But of course thats the exception.
Its their life, their choice, their decision, and ultimately their problem. You can preach and try to help all you want but if they arent willing to listen theres nothing you can do and theyre gonna get what they want. As long as you try to get them in the right direction and help them out with this then youve done your part. After that theyll have to learn on their own, for better or worse.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM

I never encourage a friend that don't have a bike to get one, i even kinda scare them saying, every time i ride its always like of my foot is already down the grave, which is really not far from the truth, no matter how safe you try to be, there will always be stupid people on the road, with big cars or truck.

In some cases that they already had their eyes set, this is almost the point of no return, might as well be there to just guide them around, i ask them if they did their research on that particular bike, displacement, insurance, etc. but luckily, 2 of my friends leaned towards 600's (both cbr's too) thinking they would outgrow it and move on to a litter after wards, 3 years later, 1 is still riding his 600, and now claims there's no such thing as outgrowing a bike, its just a matter of what you want.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM

I agree it's not the bike it's the person riding it. BUT getting a bike you can handle, 600 vs 1000 gives you a bigger margin of error (if you get the 600), which may save your life.
tell your friend this true story:
One of my riding buddies, we've ridden the same amt of time 2 yrs, his commute is longer than mine. we both started on a 600, he's like 240 lbs and 6'2" (early 20's) I'm a gal, 5'5" we'll call it 140 lbs (I'm over 35, and have a track prepped car and my SCCA license) he's on his 3rd bike and just low sided that one.

1st accident he had: take a twisties run during lunch time in the summer, been riding 3-5 months, gravel in the turn, too fast, off the cliff. 1/2 hour to crawl back up (no cell reception, he dialed 911 40 times), then laid by the road for 1/2 hour before a car came by and luckily stopped. he has a new Ti femur and hip, and some nice road rash scars (gloves and helmet only). totaled the 600
2nd accident: lane splitting on a 4 lane freeway, about 8 months ago (gsxr 750) stop 'n go, suburban quickly signaled and pulled out in front of him, bam! he wagged his rear tail and his body took out the tail light of the suburban. bike totaled.

3rd accident:low sided on his '08 848. now it will idle but dies in gear, the mechanic is trying to figure it out for the last couple of months.

Me? no accidents. 1-2 sort of close calls, nothing I couldn't handle. I still have my 600 (09 zx6r - now prepped for the track), and 3k miles on my 2011 cbr 1000rr.

If your friend is a good driver, and a level head, he'll be fine. What I tell new riders, or ppl that want to get into riding:

MSF course, 250cc bike to start of something under 500cc, for the first 1k -2k. you are learning how to shift, throttle, braking.

Quick Reply: Talking n00bs out of buying big bikes