Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Taking my road test tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop foot down, look both ways!

id pratice your figure 8 before you go

Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
wow, thats different. So what happens if you have a question or didnt hear them? Hopefully you have a mic too so you can talk back to them.
No mic. I was instructed to wave at him if I have any ?s and I did. He took me through a subdivision, no cones, just riding. He had me pull over to the curb and he then passed me and did a three point turn. He then instructed me to do a u turn, that's when I waved at him. He repeated and I pointed to where he did it (a culdasac) he said no. Then I pointed next to me (the tiny subdivision street) and he said yes. I thought for a moment just how I was going to pull that off and went for it. I don't think he understood just how small a turning radius a rocket has. I would have been much better off dropping the clutch and swinging the *** around. So I basically walked it around in a U fashion. He didn't like that much and nearly failed me.

All that being said: I passed!!! Thanks for the help ya'll!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Woot!!! Congrats. The u-turn/figure 8 stuff is such a pain in the ***- I failed my test the first time because of that.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 PM

Congrats!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:49 PM

I dropped my bike in the 8 during practice, they let me keep the clutch handle I snapped off. Makes a swell keychain

Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wants a CBR
No mic. I was instructed to wave at him if I have any ?s and I did. He took me through a subdivision, no cones, just riding. He had me pull over to the curb and he then passed me and did a three point turn. He then instructed me to do a u turn, that's when I waved at him. He repeated and I pointed to where he did it (a culdasac) he said no. Then I pointed next to me (the tiny subdivision street) and he said yes. I thought for a moment just how I was going to pull that off and went for it. I don't think he understood just how small a turning radius a rocket has. I would have been much better off dropping the clutch and swinging the *** around. So I basically walked it around in a U fashion. He didn't like that much and nearly failed me.

All that being said: I passed!!! Thanks for the help ya'll!
Congrats on passing, foot down on a u-turn over here is an instant fail

Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 AM

congrats....

im still on my permit...still practicing on my cbr...getting better everyday...

what are my chances if....

a) i can do figure-8's
b) decent u-turns
c) circle rides (not sure how big the circle is though)

do any of you guys know the measurement for the serpentine cone distances?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM

Man here all you just take a simple test in a parking lot. Never heard of all this technology with mics like your 007.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bamer02
congrats....

im still on my permit...still practicing on my cbr...getting better everyday...

what are my chances if....

a) i can do figure-8's
b) decent u-turns
c) circle rides (not sure how big the circle is though)

do any of you guys know the measurement for the serpentine cone distances?

Go take your test like RIGHT NOW. If you can land the figure-8's, chances are you're great at everything else. If you fail, you can just go take it again, so don't worry about it. The test isn't there to certify you as a Master of Motorcycles; its there to say you're adept enough to begin practicing on the street. It's an easy test, and very hard to fail, especially if you've been practicing as much as you claim. I STILL can't handle that tight of an 8 without dropping a foot, and I passed the test by a long shot, after only 2 days of practice (MSF course), IN A DOWNPOUR.

I know its nerve racking, but you guys put WAY too much fear into this test.

PS: The cone distance (up here, at least) is 8 feet. Not sure what you mean by "circle rides." If you mean the big curve, it's very similar to a wide on-ramp.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-22-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Taking my road test tomorrow