Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

To take or not to take.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To take or not to take.

Well I just graduated basic and AIT in the ARMY and I am going to Germany for my first duty station. So this forces me to ask myself.... "should I take my 96 f3 with me or leave it here stored?" the pro's of shipping it with me is I can clam it as furnished stuff like furniture and it's weighted so it would be free to me. But im thinking cons would be limited parts. Im sure oil filters and such would be rare to find and if I ordered it. It would be more trouble than anything else. Any opinions would be greatly appriciated.

BRANDON

Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Hoooooahhhhh!

My recommendation is to get a bike there. Much less headache.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple question:

How many opportunities to ride your F3 on a German Autobahn do you expect in a lifetime?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Simple question:

How many opportunities to ride your F3 on a German Autobahn do you expect in a lifetime?
+1..hes got a point!!! Give it a fresh oil and filter change and you could always pack extra oil and filter to bring right??

Oh and thank you for your service!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:31 PM

kuro pretty much summed it up!
an as cgrace said just take along some extra oil and filter(s)
im sure you could find the parts over there, but just to be sure.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Thankyou for the input there guys. And Thankyou for supporting the military in everything they do. I can try and stock up on filters and such. I leave for Germany tomorrow. So the wifey will take care of getting the extra parts packed. Its worth a shot. Insurance is about 40% higher there than here

Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Bring it with you. Bikes in Europe aren't as cheap as you think. The Euro here is stronger than the USD. There are plenty of internet sites to get parts for the bike, and with USPS shipping usually only takes a week or so.

(I have a unique perspective here because I am Active Duty Air Force and I live in Italy)

Cheers.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Take it, I was in Germany 10 years, its a Honda, you will find all the same parts in Germany as you do here. Also, like you said its free shipping on your PCS so save the $$ from buying a new one there. Just be careful on the Autobahn man, i know a lot of guys who have been severely hurt, and a few that died biking on the autobahn before they were used to doing those speeds consistently.

Where you headed? K-town?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Take it! Germany is known for having the best roads and best drivers! Please don't pass up on that
Congrats on graduating basic! have fun over there!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Take it. You can ride it around on post and so on. Vfrman is in Europe and what he says carries some weight with parts and availability and so on.

Shipping it with your HHG is a little different than you may think; but you can get help and exact specifications as to how much gas, oil/air, and all of that from your Personal Property Office. Good luck out there and HUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!