Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

survey on helmets and motorcycles

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default survey on helmets and motorcycles

Well, as some may know, I am back in college finishing up my design degree, and currently I am in my last core class which happens to be an english class which I have to write an arguement paper on a current event. I have a few survey questions that I have already asked the general population, (non motorcyclist) and would like to get the response from motorcycle riders as a group their opinion on the subject.

Currently in Michigan, the helmet law is in front of the govenor awaiting signature to repeal michigans mandatory helmet law. It will more than likely be veto'ed as it has many times before.

My questions I need help with, are involving wether or not you feel its the responsibility of the government and police officials to make sure people wear their helmets, or if it should be the choice of the rider to make. Basically, do you feel people need to be protected from themselves. I really don't want to get into wether or not you should wear one, but if you feel you want to share any input, that would be appreciated as well. I only have to write 2500 words, so opening up that debate may be more than I want to get into.

1. Do you think the michigan motorcycle helmet law should be repealed?
yes or no

2. Do you think people operating scooters should be forced to wear helmets as well?
yes or no

3. what age group do you fall into?
a. 16-25
b.26-35
c.36-45
d.46+

4. What is you main area for concern with this particular issue?
a. medical cost
b.freedom of choice
c.community saftey
d.insurance cost

Again, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, which ever side of the fence your on.

thank you..

Last edited by justasquid; 07-22-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 PM

yes
only to make the law the same for all bikes (ie: veto'd again)
A
B
We are supposed to be free to make our own decisions, i personally wear mine but if you dont want to you shouldn't be forced to. Iowa is looking at a helmet law, I dont agree with it.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
October 2011 ROTM

No
Yes
B
C

Personally I think every state should have a helmet law. Now I know that wearing a helmet is not the end all be all but I don't think there is a story where someone died cause they were wearing a helmet but if they weren't they would live. I just don't see how people don't wear it. Whenever I hear of someone dying n a bike crash the first thing I ask is were they wearing a helmet. It's no sweat off my back if you do or don't but I would not get on a bike without one and never have.

Last edited by R Dub; 07-22-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM

i think every state should have a helmet law. it's kind of like a seat belt type thing for bikes.

remember it's your family that would have to take care of you when you're incapacitated permanently (yeah i know this could potentially happen regardless, but you've gotta admit it's less likely)
i wouldn't want that to happen to my family or anyone else's

1. no, keep the helmet law
2. yes, if you're not in a cage then it's a helmet for you
3. b
4. a, c, d

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 AM

I think every state should have a helmet law. I've lived in a state that has the law and one without the law and I've always worn a helmet. I'd agree with others when it comes to the seatbelt thing. I don't let people ride in my car without a seatbelt, I wouldn't let them ride my bike without a helmet either. Personally, I think everyone looks sexy with a helmet and motorcycles deserve sexy.

1. No
2. Yes
3. a
4. c

Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No
Yes
A
A,D

Community safety isnt that big of a concern if they choose not to wear one. They are only going to really hurt themselves or the close ones around them. The only time they will hurt someone else is if there motorcycle hits a car. Which even then the driver of the car(if they maintain control) will most likely be fine. It will be the motorcyclist who pays with there life if they wish not to wear a helmet.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. No
2. Yes
3. D
4. A

I always wear a helmet, whether I'm riding my motorcycle or my bicycle. It's a law to wear one on my motorcycle in my state, so it's no big deal to me. Most of the organized bicycling events require us to wear a helmet, so I've learned to get used to it. To me it's no different than the seat belt laws in our cars.

I will not ride with someone who isn't wearing a helmet. I figure if they have such little regard for their own safety they care even less about the other riders they are in close proximity to.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 AM

1. No.
  2. Yes.
  3. A (will be B in Dec).
  4. C. D. I could see helmet laws pushing fatalities / injuries down, which would lower exposure to insurance companies, which would (hopefully) lower premiums.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

no

2. Do you think people operating scooters should be forced to wear helmets as well?
yes

a. 16-25

a. medical cost
c.community saftey
d.insurance cost

Again, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, which ever side of the fence your on.

illinois doesnt require individuals to wear a helmet and i think its stupid...

reason being is because if you get in a crash with a helmet and survive and become a vegetable on the states dime they hate that...

so here they prefer people to just not wear one crash and die...

i beleive its like wearing your seatbelt (there is no freedom of choice here is there?????).... but for two wheels...

in any vehicle that has no seat belt that you drive on the road i beleive that yes you should be require to wear AT LEAST a helmet...

Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean the one on the gov's desk requiring helmets. In which case, no.

yes

b.26-35

c.community saftey

While I'm big on personal freedoms, helmets are a huge life-saver and injury reducer on motorcycle -- much more effective and important than seatbelts are in cars. Insurance rates don't concern me too much, I just want people to stay safe out there. You never know when you'll go down, and it's best to be prepared.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: survey on helmets and motorcycles