Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

suggestions bout group riding????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions bout group riding????

so i decided to take the initiative to get riders together to ride, so far i got 8 numbers and hopefully the all know a friend. I live in san marcos tx and if you are from around the area and decide to come and ride that is gonna be sweet, heres my number 512-393-4221 ALEX....oh and i was gonna ask any other tips in how to get more riders and what to expect from them or any comments or suggestions ya'll guys have. cause that will help me alot since it's my first time I AM ORGANIZING a little gathering. I riden in groups before so i kinda know something but advice will be taken so please feel free to comment anything. also i have looked at their bikes and some what most of them are new so i dont think some of the riders and very skilled so i dont want to push them. I live in a college town and this year alone the biker population doubled from last year, so i dont know what to expect from this guys since i have never met them in person, we just talked for bout 2 minutes then the red light turned green lol (thats how i met most of them). i also think some of them are stuck up so i really need advice...THANKS

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Default RE: suggestions bout group riding????

Not sure how far you want to take this but come up with some rules for the group. Some guys out there want to play and screwaround while on their bikes. Last thing I need is to have negative attention drawn to us by the cops or by others who may call the cops. Why get the hassle? Also, I try to be safe while riding and the last thing I need is for some asshat to screw around and put me in danger. People start doing that and I'm outta there.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Ive been to a few rides where it turned intoall out speed a thon and some had a few flaws so here are a few suggestions...
1).Make sure you keep the pace spirited but safe..especially with a group...
2).Fatigue is a huge factor in some distance rides..make sure to have a stop thrown in along the route.
3). Have a destination in mind...nothing worse than a bunch of riders asking each other where they are going at a light.
4). Ask if everyone has fuel....obvious reason..
5). Have a cell phone plan..if something should happen..
6). Have a sweeper..to tail the group..
7). Keep groups small unless 300 people show up...4-5 per grp should suffice.
8). Have fun....

or try to link up with one of these grps listed here..

Motorcycle Meetups

Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Im putting together a few rides this season too (one in my sig. and a few on another local forum)

The main concern i have is people trying to show one another up.. so i set a few rules in the forum for people to see before they come out and meet..

Im not gonna say what rules you should det for yourselves, but heres a couple i have

-No wheelies/stoppies (we've all seen them, theres a different time & place for that)
-No passing on turns
-Everyone must wear AT LEAST helmet/gloves & long sleeved shirt (prefer armored jacket)
-Everyone use hand signals to keep riders in the back aware of upcoming turns & road conditions
-Everyone must have at least a learner permit

I may be a stricter (sp) group leader but i dont need some knucklehead screwing up the day/future of other riders i invited

Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Here's some good information I have found one of my other forums:

1) Always ride in staggered formation, unless we start hitting hard twisties, then ride in single file. Allow yourself a safe distance from the rider ahead of you.
2) For experienced riders: Always show your front wheel before passing. Only attempt this if and only it is safe. For example, overtaking a cager or fellow rider when an upcoming turn is only 30 or 40 feet away is not safe since it does not give the cager/rider ahead enough time to react.
3) Never pass or buzz by in the same lane UNLESS waved on first.
4) Never pass during a curve or turn.
5) Never cross the double solid yellow line trying to overtake a rider or cager.
6) Signal lane changes with signal lights and or hand signals.
7) Signal within-lane position changes with foot signals.
8) During busy intersection turns, the second lead guy should turn wide and block traffic for the rest of the group.
9) Always ride at YOUR pace within your limits... NEVER try to keep up if someone is riding faster than you. Don't worry, the group will always wait at the next turn-off.
10) Positioning: Lead guy (point-man) in front, of course.
More experienced riders at or near the front.
Newbies at the rear.
"Sweep" following last.

11) Fill-up with gas BEFORE arriving at the meet.

12) Lane-switching on the highway:
When switching lanes while riding in a large group we must follow a standard procedure. And in order to do this correctly and safely, we need RESPONSIBLE leaders, lane-holders, and sweepers.

To explain the lane-switch procedure, it's easiest to use an example. Let's say there are 10 of us in the right lane. The leader wants to change lanes.

a.) He looks, and once it's safe for him AND the number 2 rider to change lanes, he switches lanes.
The number 2 rider then switches with him. That number 2 rider is now the LANE-HOLDER.

b.) The lane-holder slows down and begins to drop back so that the number 3 rider can pass him. Once safely past the lane-holder, the number 3 rider merges into the lane behind the leader.

c.) The lane-holder continues to drop back, allowing the number 4 rider to merge in, then the number 5 rider, and so on.

d.) When it's the sweeper's turn to merge in, he does so. Then the lane-holder must show the sweeper his front wheel, and the sweeper must allow the lane-holder to pass him within the same lane, so the sweeper can resume the sweeper position.[/align][/align]13) ABSOLUTELY NO Stunting on the rode with the pack. Keep it to the parking lots!!!!!![/align]

Old 04-07-2008, 02:55 PM

Eww... 6 hour ride to get there... ouch. When were you thinking about doing this ride?

Deffinately lay down some ground rules... and have a few "police" riders with you to help enforce the rules (usually friends and trusty fellow riders to keep people in check). A firm, but relaxed and fun feel is what you want to go for.

+1 to the leaders up front, and a "tail" rider at the end. Stress a "spirited" leader up front... yet make sure that everyone knows that NO MATTER HOW SLOW they choose to go, someone (the "tail") will always be behind them... so take everything at their own pace.

Also, stops (several of them) are a great idea. It makes sure the group gets back together, that everyone makes it, gives a much needed rest and time to chat. It helps the slow people still feel part of the group and they don't feel lost.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys for all the advices, and as to whet type of ride we are doing, is more like a get together so we can get to know te riders and their bikes in the town, you know to help prevent bike theft and to meet other riders to improve our skills. As for a trip, i dont think anyone of the riders is ready for one. For the most part they are college students and really not interested in long trips. But once we get more aquainted i'll suggest a long trip. i really want to go to autin and ride their twisties...l

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

Rent a van, get a designated driver and go to some strip bars. Riding with other sportbikes leads to a critical mass of testosterone and problems tend to ensue.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM

crashkhanman, FWIW I have been told several timea that newbies should be very near the front and NOT at the rear. The reasoning is because they can be watched over by other riders and the most experienced people at the very front. Being in the back means you could easily get left behind of forced to try and keep up with the pack as it springs between long and short lines.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

crashkhanman, FWIW I have been told several timea that newbies should be very near the front and NOT at the rear. The reasoning is because they can be watched over by other riders and the most experienced people at the very front. Being in the back means you could easily get left behind of forced to try and keep up with the pack as it springs between long and short lines.
I strongly disagree. I understand your point... but the problem with this means that the skilled riders are constantly being "held back"... and it increases the likelyhood that the newbies will try to "push" their own limits. The reason for the "tail" rider, and the frequent stops (after about each and every "fun" road/turn-off) are designed to keep the less experienced riders from feeling like they need to push too hard to keep up and so they understand that they won't be left behind.

Quick Reply: suggestions bout group riding????