Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

stupid mistakes = drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stupid mistakes = drop

got this idea off another thread, but im sure almost every member has dropped their bike in some "stupid" manor, simple mistake........its a club we dont like being a member of, lol. im not looking for crash stories, highsides, lowsides...yada yada, just little "parking lot" type drops. lets here about'em....

mine, had the bike for MAYBE 2 weeks, i had just got comfortable riding on my road (1st bike i ever owned/rode). i got done riding one day and slowly made my way around my house to put the bike up in the shed. i got up near our riding lawn mower and removed my helmet, i leaned over a bit to rest the helmet on the mower before i got off. as i leaned, i went a bit too far, lol. i was at the "point of no return". i tried my best to hold'er up but realized i might as well just set it down easy. so i slow as possible......began letting the bike down, the hot pipe started to get TOO hot on my leg so inches above the ground i had to just let it drop................*POP* saidmy right mirror [>:].....no scratches, luckily my 1st was in grass! i was pretty angry, lol. so far *knocks on wood*, no other drops!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stupid mistakes = drop

I had my 51 ONE day andI dropped it takin out da garage. Walkin it out on da left and opppsss it was on it's side. Deffinitly alot different than my 6RR!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

transferring bike stand from my duc to cbr, and forgot to adjust the pads. you know the rest. glad i just got doen putting on my sliders. still pissed but learned a BIG lesson.[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

The first bike I ever owned (91 Katana) has been the only victim, so far, of a drop. I pulled up to a buddies house and had to park on the street. It was dark and there are no street lights so I put the side stand down and got off the bike. I decided I should move it closer to the curb fearing some speeding fool wouldn't see the bike and take it out. Climbed back on and moved it closer, put the stand down and got off. Half way to the door I hear a loud SMASH!!! I ran back up to the bike and there it was, laying on its side. Broke the mirror and clutch lever plus some minor scratches. Had to have my dad come out with the bike trailer to pick it up. Apparently I got a little too close to the crub and didn't put the stand down all the way. Lesson learned and two bikes later without another drop, I ALWAYS double check the stand before I get off the 954.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM

Forgetting to put the kickstand down, Rear stands bent when I was putting them on and the right side fo the bike fell though and fell over, tryed to ride in loose gravel front tire sunk in and I fell over, forgot the kick stand again.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 PM

About 1987, on my VF1000R. Making a slow U-turn in a buddy's driveway, going through a pile of leaves. Leaves hid the fact that the driveway ended. Front wheel slips off the concrete and straightens out, bike literally leaps straight up and falls over in the leaves. Thankfully it was a big pile of leaves, no damage. Buddy's dad comes out, looks at it, says "That's what I thought you did." and walks back inside.

Let's all knock on wood, since I've told this story and realized this is the last time I've slow-dropped a bike. 20 years...now I'll probably do it tomorrow in my shed (where she sleeps).

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

First drop of a bike was when I was about ten. My dads h.d in the garage in front of the go-kart. Seen my dad move it a thousand times, but had no idea how heavy it was. Made it about two feet and down she goes.
Lets just say, I couldnt sit down for a week or so. lol....

Old 11-18-2007, 09:31 PM

Yep... practicing the infamous right hand "U" turn on a parking lot.

Lost it, panicked, and grabbed a handfull of clutch and brake. Bike was going down so I bailed, trying to set her down as gently as possible.
TWICE IN A ROW!

When the right side mirror broke on the second time, I decided it was time to call it a day, and rode straight home. It didn't make sense to keep riding while upset. I went and got a new mirror the very next day. and smile evry time I see the rashed up frame slider, knowing that it had just been installed the previous week, so the damage could have been much worse.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Ooh was I angry that night.
Meeting some buddies at a friend's apartment complex. I pull up to a parking spot, VERY slight hill to the right (no, not enough to cause it to fall over to the right) but as I go to put my feet down, my right pant leg catches on the peg and over we go. I stepped away at the last second but she fell pretty hard.

Scuff on the right fairing, dent in the midpipe, and my brake lever was bent back towards the mirror. I took some pliers and tried to bend it back...SNAP.
First bike I've ever owned. You live, you learn.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:08 PM

I was mad leaving my girlfriends house and was going around her dads truck in the driveway, so i was in the grass, gave it to much gas, the back end kicked out and then it caught the pavement right after i had passed her dads truck and she went over, all under about 10mph, but def. messed up my left fairing, so i had to get it repainted and new decals. I was even more pissed after I had dropped the bike than I was before I had got on it, so I decided to just cool down and ride it home with a calm level head. Never ride your bike when your mad.... not a good way to vent frustration.

Quick Reply: stupid mistakes = drop