Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Study about the effectiveness of helment laws!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Study about the effectiveness of helment laws!

That's interesting Kid....that you see the opposite trend. I see where people assume that if you ride without gear, you're an idiot....the idea of what are you going to do if you go down thought. Not necessarily, they are geared up to wreak havoc. All my friends and people I talk to immediately associate non-helmet wearers as the idiots going 90mph down the highway pulling a wheelie and cruising downtown chicago attempting to pick up chicks.

It's almost as if you are wearing a helmet, you're aren't out there to pimp yourself, but rather to ride. But that's just my observation. It's interesting that in different regions perception of gear is different. I would just assume that if you saw someone with gear, you would assume that they are smarter and thus safer, not the other way around.

It's sort of backwards to think that the tool that is riding in a t-shirt and no helmet is considered to be less of a risk then the geared up guy. Maybe people could think that because he is wearing less gear, he won't push himself and be "really careful," but as we all know, as well as everyone else should know, if you are dumb enough to ride a bike where even a pothole going 20 mph could seriously injure you if you are not wearing gear, that you don't have the mental capacity to "be careful" because you aren't geared up. If you are dumb enough to not wear gear, you're not smart enough to be extra careful as a result.

Dunno....interesting nonetheless!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 AM

I think this is interesting. I half heartedly expected to read this article and find out the the states without strict helmet laws have fewer deaths. I guess I was thinking that if it's not a law then people will realize that it's good for them and do it anyways. Kind of like the prohibition laws for alcohol back in the day which outlawed alcohol and transversely created a wild need for alcohol. So I was expecting that the deaths that were occuring were happening in the states with the strict helmet laws because people are rebeling.

I strongly believe in strict helmet laws. Even if my state didn't require helmets I still would wear one every time. (This part is going to sound lame, but...) Not only do they save lives, they are stylish and fun

Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: ffingers

It's sort of backwards to think that the tool that is riding in a t-shirt and no helmet is considered to be less of a risk then the geared up guy.
LMAO - I'm telling you man. We're no Sturgis by any means, but we are home to over 3K Harley Davidsons in this city alone. Compare that with maybe 40 sportbikes, maybe more, and you can see how the trend became what it has.

Every year they shut down our strip and do an annual ride. Every single one of them in a brain bucket and nothing else.

A few of us sport guys went on a ride last year for a kid that died on a ride, if you can believe it. Anyway, all we had were leather jackets and boots/gloves, full face helmets. I swear to god I was so close to just throwing down with those bitch-made Harley punks that just kept running their ****ing mouths. Pissed me off bad.

Haha, it all started because when one of them pulled up, a few of us were standing around and I looked at him and said, "those bikes are loud, eh?" He said, "WHAT?" HAHAHAHAHAHHA roflmao, yeah, I told hime, "nevermind."

Harley Bitches.