Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stop light cameras

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop light cameras

Does anyone hate those things as much as I do? Here in Redlands, Loma Linda & San Bernardino (in SoCal) the cities have been putting those things in like crazy. Now, let me clarify, I wouldn't mind if they put them in simply to cut down on the numbers of people running red lights. However, I argue that they are doing it simply for revenue. The ticket cost for running a red light is somewhere in the $300 range according to someone who recently attended traffic school with me. (I got nailed for speeding, in my sisters mini-van headed to the beach). I tow a trailer a lot and I tend to cruise through yellow lights due to my inhibited stopping range, and with those %&cking traffic cams I almost get rear-ended or wind up sliding into the intersection. Now people might argue that if I was driving the appropriate speed then stopping wouldn't be a problem, however, even driving the speed limit with a trailer presents a problem with stopping in a short distance. It just pisses me off that the city councils around here are putting them up in the name of "public safety" when they are clearly for revenue. I've seen studies that say that intersections with cams have more rear-end accidents than those without so it's certainly not for public safety!

Anyways....I'm done. Just had to vent.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stop light cameras

well...the way they are set up...if you're in the intersection when it turns yellow...you're clear...but if you're not in there yet...and enter the intersection only after the light is red, it will go off.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:23 PM

I read an article about the cameras awhile ago so I cant remember everything that was said but I know it stated that there is a delay of .09 sec or something like that after the light turns red so that it dose not get you for going through yellow lights (the time that they are yellow differs for different intersections). And as for the revenue, the city that puts up the cams has to rent them from another company that supplys and takes care of them (It said they are not cheep). Then the money that is made from the infractions is split between the city and the camera company. Im sure it said that it was pretty much a wash. Thats what I read. And that is in Washington so It could be different.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM

Check it:

I read an article just a few days ago in the STL post dispatch and turns out the camera companies are using lobbyists and other political figures with extra pull to have the bid go to that company for a monopoly on all areas within the state.
Another thing is, the city DOES NOT pay for the cameras. Instead, on a $100 red light ticket $70 goes to the municipality, the other $30 goes to the manufacturing company who installed the light.

Basically, a private company is profiting off of traffic violations. It's a big *** stink here in MO.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

$371 for running a red light here in sacramento [:@] but ive always wondered how well those things catch motorcycles. you know how some ppl have a undertail and it relocated the plate or puts it down @ a diff angle?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 AM

You know how I deal with stop light cameras or toll road cameras. EASY......!!!!! I DO NOT RIDE WITH MY LICENSE PLATE ON!!! Plain and simple. 98% Percent of the time if I get pulled over I tell Police Officer very respectfully I am waiting on a "custom" undertail ( as I point the the area of the bike). Work every time. Although I do carry my plate on me underneath the seat and will volunteer if they want to see it. Most likely they tell me, Hey when you get home mount it or next time.......BLAH, BLAH BLAH.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:38 PM

1000rrmarine...aren't you an MSF instructor or something?
easiest thing to do is bust a wheelie across the intersection

Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM

You know what - I look at it the other way... hopefully the a**holes that run lights will stop it.

Here's the way I see it - speeding within reason won't hurt anyone in the appropriate places. Running a light could. I wish they would f*** off on empty highways and get busy on the stuff that really is dangerous. Left turners, red light runners, the cellphone/drunk drivers...

~300... expensive. Makes you not want to do it

Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

I wish they would f*** off on empty highways and get busy on the stuff that really is dangerous. Left turners, red light runners, the cellphone/drunk drivers...

~300... expensive. Makes you not want to do it
+1

Old 11-29-2006, 03:20 PM

It's Big Brother, man! We are all being watched!!

Quick Reply: Stop light cameras