Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Still riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 02:59 PM

Conrice beat me to the punch lol. I find it to be pretty chilly here in Texas right now, low 50s as high and high 30s are low. Im still riding though, even with my crazy vented summer gloves (first winter riding, gloves in mail) Thankfully it only gets really cold for us 1-2 months of the year. Now I'm also used to 100+ temps most of the year so my view on cold is obviously objective lol

Old 11-27-2012 | 05:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

My favorite time of the year, actually.

Cold air is denser, engine is shedding excess heat at maximum efficiency.
With the leaves down, line-of-sight is also maxed out.

Nobody is a squid in the winter time, either. lol.

I've always had a 28F rule, as the line for passing on a ride.

However, in the last year, I've upgraded my electrical system and
installed a heated gear system (gloves, jacket and socks).

I've been out in the 18F-20F, for hours, since I got the Gerbing gear.

So, I don't usually quit riding till July-September-ish.
Any time the temp gets over the century mark, basically.

Ern

Old 11-27-2012 | 07:14 PM

Haven't had my last ride yet. But I also haven't ridden in about a week. I'll brave the cold 1 morning on the way to work at least 1 more time then the battery comes out.

Old 11-28-2012 | 04:12 AM

alright cornice.. you put a jelous smile on my face, however unlike the rest of my northern brothers and sisters. I plan on riding all winter or atleast i'm going to try and pull it off.. in a sense, i'm going to try and live by the meaning of your signature..
Coldness leads to weakness, Weakness leads to gloves, gloves lead to your neck.. lol...
I would be living there right now if the mother of my son didn't like beatles the size of small chewawas.. i'll have to snap a picture of my get-up.. if you think my written description is funny, you should see me all dressed!!
anyway I know you were just having fun...
jay

Old 11-28-2012 | 08:56 AM

Here in ATL, i have class at 8am, so I have to get out the house by 6:30 to get out in time...it is 30F and man with the wind chill, im sure it gets to 15-20. But I have good gear...just recently purchased heated grips from china for 6 bucks...we will see how that turns out when it arrives.

In the day time its easy breezy 50F no biggie...love the fact I can get to downtown in 20-25 mins with the bike vs 45 with the car so I'll keep on riding unless it snows or ices over.

ride safe

Old 11-28-2012 | 11:14 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by BorderLineAlaska
Still riding?
Bicycle, yes. Motorcycle, no.

We've had mornings the last week or so when the temp was 20*F. I personally don't mind the cold but the rubber on my 1000RR tires are like hockey pucks when it's sub freezing temps and it gets dangerous when I have to ride around like I'm on a sheet of ice. I might as well be riding a moped.

Motorcycle is getting stored in my basement until next March or April. However, I'll be pedaling to work off and on throughout the winter.

Old 12-11-2012 | 04:54 AM
Default Chilly

3C here today and still riding. (u.k) Last winter rode to work everyday at minus 7. Crossed the Kyzlykum desert in Kazakhstan +42C. Too hot, had to stop under a flysheet for 5 hrs every day 'till it cooled a bit.

Old 12-11-2012 | 11:27 AM

Its dipped into the low 30s here in Buffalo. I actually probably would still be riding, but back at the end of October the zipper on my !@#$% jacket broke .

I figured it was a good time to throw the charger and cover on.

Old 12-11-2012 | 02:29 PM

still riding here in the UK but it has dropped below freezing

Old 12-11-2012 | 03:34 PM

I'm still riding, because I have to and my boss is an unsympathetic tosser. Good luck fellow winter riders.

Quick Reply: Still riding?