Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

stealerships

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealerships

i am curious about the term "stealership",post your experiences-either you or some one you know- cars or bikes
i need as much input from everyone as posible
thanks

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: stealerships

Stealership, because they will rob you blind if they can and you let them.

Examples? How much does it cost to do an oil change yourself? Maybe $20 bucks? So why then does a dealer charge $300 bucks for a "service"?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 AM

The second truck I bought was my first time working with a dealer. It was a used truck, and being young, I brought my dad along, thinking he would haggle for me. He didn't and wanted me too, so the dealership took full advantage of that. I bought a base model 98 4X4 Ranger, meaning no AC, no power anything, small v6(the four wheel drive was also broken I later found out) for way more than it was worth,paying $8000. A year and a half later, I bought another 4X4 98 Ranger, but this one was loaded, with every option available. I learned my mistake of thinking a dealer wouldn't take advantage of me, so I told them what I wanted to pay, and when they didn't agree I walked out. I called back about 5 days later, and they were willing to deal.I got the loaded Ranger, which had less miles than the first one I bought, for $5700. I've found this technique works well, as a dealer starts to panic when you walk out of the building. My dad actually brought me along to help him negotiate the last for the last vehicle he bought. When dad made the offer I told him to, the salesman literally kicked us out of his office. His face was purple he was so mad at the lowball offer my dad made him. Dad called back after 7 days, and suddenly they were nice and willing to meet him on the price.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

Champions Honda in Cocoa. Expensive (like all of them), but on time and good work, I haven't used them for a year (since warrentee ended), but they seemed OK.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM

i am a tech at a chevy dealer, and to be honest there are a lot of crooked people out there looking to take advantage of others, techs and sales people both. here the service dept is prety good about not taking advantage but the sales people will stick it to you if you let them. i allways go with my parents and haggel over price on vehicles otherwise they will get screwed. but its like anything else there are some good people and there are some bad people you just got to go where the good people are. btw oil changes here are 12.95

Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

I agree that some dealerships are rip offs and will always try to up sell more then you want or need. The dealer I take my bike to is not bad. They charge $45.00 for an oil change and they inspect the bike and lube it all up. I can do it myself, but by the time i go get the oil and filter then have to clean it all up it's not worth my time.

I was a service advisor at a BMW dealer and I alway tried not to up sell to much. I approval repairs now for fleet vehicles and i deal with shop and dealers all day long and I see bothtypes.

Remember that you need to keep your bike or car in good shape, but also remember that they are there to make money and the more they sell the more they make.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Retired Moderator

I have given my Honda Shop about four or five chances to redeem themselves and they always fail. It is never anything difficult is what pisses me off. The most recent incident was I bought a shop manual and paid to have it shipped to me. They never sent it, tried to say they did, and then sent me one from their shop that had the dealership's name written in permanent marker on the front and back cover. They ended up charging me their cost for the manual. I will travel to the next town over if I decide to buy another new machine. F_ck those asshats!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

Stealership, because they will rob you blind if they can and you let them.

Examples? How much does it cost to do an oil change yourself? Maybe $20 bucks? So why then does a dealer charge $300 bucks for a "service"?
How do you do an oil change for 20 bucks? Do you ride a 50cc or something?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM

I work in a toyota dealership.Done this for 17 years now.There are thieves on all sides.Just have to watch out when you buy stuff or take it in for service.If you take your car OR bike into a dealership as for one of the lead techs.It makes it easier to get a working relationship with just one guy,they will take care of you in the long run.

As far as bike dealerships ,i have two near me and i have yet to have any issues with them.
But then again , i do all my own service work and keep the reciepts(5 year warranty)..

Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM

My wife took her Escape in to the local stealer for a 30k service and was told the front brakes needed replacing at $156 so she said go ahead. Went to pick the car up and the bill for the service and the brakes was $896!!! WTF, $740 for a service? Needless to say she won't be going back there! Back in the day...
My first bike, a 1970 CB450,I d cross threaded the plug.
The stealer wanted $80 for a helicoil, plus labor to remove the engine, pull the head and do the helicoil. They wanted stupid money so I asked how much for a service manual.
$5 later I walked out the door witha new OEM S/M and did the removal myself. The last time I let someone else touch my bike, the job took 2 weeks instead of the 3 days quoted. Not only did he not do the work he quoted for, he broke a part and cost me an extra $30! Buy a manual and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: stealerships