Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Starting to FREAK....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting to FREAK....

Less then 1 week to my Lasik eye surgery.......[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Starting to FREAK....

Keep us posted.
I've been thinking about havin it done.
Everone I asked about it said they don't know why they waited so long to have it done.
Good luck.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck!! I'm in the same boat, I've got an appt for next monday the 19th for the exam to see if I can have it done! I hope I can, my vision sucks.... 20/100 corrected[:-]

Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from about 20/100 to 20/15. It was painless but somewhat scary. I think the process is still the same. My advice is to relax and look at the dot during the surgury. You will smell something funny, but don't move your eye. You will be freaking out, but don't move your eye. Just have faith in the laser , but don't move your eye. Just look at the dot, but don't move your eye.

The doctor said my eyes came out so good because I didn't move my eye during the process. It is a scary 3 minutes but in retrospect, it was very simple.

when you get home, make sure you sleep. locate some tylenol pm or better. drink a few coctails and sleep. you'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:47 AM

thats something i would never do. ever.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM

My wife had it done several years ago. She loves it. She was blind as a bat, but not anymore. Sometimes late at night if she's tired, she says she gets "halos" around lights when driving. But other than that minor inconvenience, she loves it.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM

I would be freakin to if i knew somebody was gonna be pokin my eyeball....ewwww. And u dont even get to be knocked out for it. Just imagining that doc pokin me in the eye makes me get the shivers, no freakin way i could ever let that happen

Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

I went from about 20/100 to 20/15. It was painless but somewhat scary. I think the process is still the same. My advice is to relax and look at the dot during the surgury. You will smell something funny, but don't move your eye. You will be freaking out, but don't move your eye. Just have faith in the laser , but don't move your eye. Just look at the dot, but don't move your eye.

i fail to see your main point here...lol

Old 02-10-2007, 07:07 PM

I had mine done in the military... and I tell you what nothing is worse than thinking about having an army doc do something that will be life changing. I mean come'on these are the same people who pull teeth instead of fixing cavities.

I can feel your apprehension on whats going to happen. The first mention of an eye speculum, and I was like whoa, you are going to be cranking my eye open with the same time of thing you use when women smell like rotting fish?!? Believe me I had second, third, and hundredth thoughts. I was pretty much blind however, I couldnt even see an alarm clock five feet away without squinting my eyes, much less read a book two feet from my face.

Things you have to remember though are:
1) your retina really has no nerves in it, you wont feel a thing besides pressure
2) the doctor doesnt do the surgery. It use to be they would take an actual scapel and slice your eye, not so anymore.
3)it takes 15-20 seconds per eye (I had 2400-2600reshapes made in 15 second or so).
4)the pain isnt really there. granted you have to keep your eyes closed for 24 hours so your retina can heal. Thats the only part that made me sick was keeping my eyes closed and my wife driving through DC traffic. Then again maybe it was better my eyes were closed.
5) when you are done with the surgery they will have you open your eyes, its amazing that the little red light that was blurry is now amazing clear.
6) even if you move your eye, which you should do your best not to do, the machine will automatically compensate. I asked that question and she said that if you did roll your eyes, or make too fast of a movement, the machine will automatically shutdown. So the chances are better of you hitting the lottery than something going wrong.
7) in one week you will be amazed. I remember driving down in old-town alexandria (right by where Remember the Titans was filmed), and looking at trees and seeing them for what I thought was the first time. I remember thinking that trees werent just one color green on the leaves, but millions of different ones. I also distincly remember being able to distinguish different leaves, something I had never been able to do before.

I know that the surgery can maybe only last until I am 40 and that there is every chance in the world that I would need glasses again. Would I do it again when I am 40? Without question. Not many people realize just how much of a pain in the *** glasses are until you dont have to wear them, or worry about a contact moving. I love being able to put ona pair of oakleys when I want to.

best of luck and hope you enjoy the surgery

Old 02-10-2007, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: telgren

Not many people realize just how much of a pain in the *** glasses are until you dont have to wear them, or worry about a contact moving. I love being able to put ona pair of oakleys when I want to.

One of the reasons I started looking into this was ...
I was in a ATV hare scramble last year after about 5 inches of rain.
First off came the goggles, then lost one contact...then the other....
Just to top it off, I had to drive about 75 miles home at dusk.

As long as the glasses are gone, it will be worth all the anxiety.

Quick Reply: Starting to FREAK....