Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

squids on 1krrs

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: squids on 1krrs

JBAZ you live in raleigh man obviously, have you ever met the guy who calls himself bumblebee...hes a real idiot, btw is your name James and do you have a silver 600rr?

Old 10-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, Jeff. My RR is naked... It was a stunt bike that I got for 2000. its currently almost done with the motor swap.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 AM

My favorite is going to Deals Gap on my stock F2 and dusting the **** out of squids on their new liter bikes. First week of September I was up there and striped a guy on a new Gixxer1k. I pulled in at the over look and he comes over checking out my bike like "Man, what you to that bike... 900 engine or what?" LOL

Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 AM

Ahh yes, every one loves squids. I really love them because of the image I get as a rider from them. Because of them we get the "do a wellie sign" from all nonriders at stop lights. I love riding but they make me quite unhappy when they go flying past me doin 120. Then every cage on the street expects me to catch up like I was with him. Sorry, just letting feelings out from this weekend ride.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR1000RRMARINE

Now that is funny. Just wanted to throw my two cents in. I went riding with a crowd of the average age of 20. First stop was the gas station. Every one of these kids put 87 octane in their bike. Hmmm. Yes I know it can run on that but doesnt it clearly state 91 or Better. Correct me if I am wrong. Needless to say a couple of them wiped out doing retarded things on the street. I left early after I saw some of the silliness

My manual says 87 octane for my '06 F4i. I know there are a lot of threads on here saying you shouldn't put more than that in. I was putting in the high grade when I first got my bike thinking it was better for it and when I switched to 87 I noticed much better gas milage.

Mike

Old 10-31-2006, 01:22 PM

in reality, the engine can run off of 87 and most of the time it'll run fine. When you start going high rev's that's when you'll need some higher octane fuel. 91 or 93 is good, a bit more expensive and as bikes, we could afford it.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM

do your research before you start posting about octane this and that...get your facts straight about RON and PON and MON...
nothing is wrong with 87...you don't need anything higher unless your bike is specifically tuned for it.

Q: What octane should I use in my bike??

A: Start by using the minimum octane requirements stated in your owner's manual. If your engine is knocking using this octane, then go to a slightly higher octane. Using a higher octane than is needed is just a waste of money as higher octane fuels cost more.

Q: How do I know if I need a higher octane?

A: The compression stroke of your engine compresses the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders. This compressed mixture is then ignited by the spark plug. Sometimes the mixture ignites due to the compression before the spark can ignite it. This predetonation creates an engine knock which can be harmful to your engine. Higher octane fuels are designed to for higher compression and later detonation. Use the higher octane fuel if the octane you are currently using is causing an engine knock. (Note: CBR engines were not designed for use with higher octane engines. So if your engine is knocking with lower octane fuels, it may be an indication of a mechanical issue with your engine.)

Q: Will higher octanes give me a performance boost?

A: No. This is a big misconception. Higher octane fuels are only needed for higher compression, high-performance engines. CBR engines (though they are higher compression engines than most automobiles) were not designed for use with high octane gasolines.

Q: My manual says to use 86 but the sticker on the bike says to use 91. Which should I use?

A: Actually your bike and your manual are saying the same thing. The manual says to use 86 PON (pump octane number). The bike sticker says to use 91 RON (research octane number). Many people think that 91 RON means the same as "premium" gas at the pump. This is another misconception.

In the US, PON is octane used at the gas pumps (Europe uses RON on the pumps). Generally, RON is 5 numbers above PON. The other number, MON (motor octane number), is generally 5 numbers below PON. PON is the average of the MON and RON. Hence, this is why you see the sticker at the pump that says (R+M)/2.

This FAQ was prepared based on information from the following online resources:

http://www.greennature.com/article347.html

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...i_octane.shtml

http://api-ep.api.org/industry/index...07006006000000

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

yea you can afford to run higher octane...but you just look like an idiot when your claims aren't backed by anything.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM

huh, always thought our engines was designed for 91... now I know. good info. my basis for using higher octane was to reduce knocking if there was, nothing to do with performance. It's not like we have vtec... Then that actually does reduce performance to decrease knocks since the valve timing is changed to compensate.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:19 PM

but you know what? some of the 1KRRs had this ping when you first gun them...and then it goes away...i'm not sure what they did for that...this was the first year they came out though.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:07 PM

my bike says 91 on the tail frame so ive been puting that in, on the last fill up i used 87 and the bike starts easier and runs smother and have noticed somehow it freed up a little power between 5-9 grand but the higher octane helped the higher revs. but hell im satisfied i can power wheelie a little easier now with less r's.

Quick Reply: squids on 1krrs