Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

squid ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squid ?

So I was just reading bout squids, so here is my question... Does the word "Squid" only apply to sportbike ridders cause i see harley riders without any gear on all the time.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Default RE: squid ?

gear?? for harley riders??? thats just a half hemit thing. is there any gear for them besides lether boots and maby jeans???... i would not call them squids for that. its all about the person, eather you choose to wear it or not.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

I've never heard the term squid thrown around with such fervor until this forum. If you aren't wearing full body armor, you are a squid.

I would say that squid is only for Sportbike riders. Here in FL, even the cops on bikes wear shortsleeves.

I've done some counts on my own here in central florida, 80%cruisers don't wear helmets, 80% of sportbikers do. Maybe 5% of sportbike guys in the summer wear even a mesh jacket during the day, at least half are in shorts and t-shirts, the other half have tank tops on. I've NEVER seen full leathers on the street here in florida during the day.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Yeah honestly I think it does. Lets look at it comparatively speaking, harley and the cruisers account for 90% of all accidents in the US. Do they account for 90% of all sales? Hardly. I think you can tell those who know what to wear when they are riding, as they have "real" leathers on, along with gloves and full helmets.

I guess even the harley crowd recognizes squids. Yesterday when my buddy and I were cruising around town, we got an extremely friendly wave from three harley riders, but they also had on full helmets (sans faceshields), gloves, and what even looked like one piece suits on one of them.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: telgren

Yeah honestly I think it does. Lets look at it comparatively speaking, harley and the cruisers account for 90% of all accidents in the US. Do they account for 90% of all sales? Hardly. I think you can tell those who know what to wear when they are riding, as they have "real" leathers on, along with gloves and full helmets.

not to pick a fight but im just curious where u get thouse numbers from?

i dont see harley guys wear gear most of time except helmets but there is a helmet law in ny. but at the same time from my experienece most guys on cruiser dont ride as hard as guys on sport bikes.

but to be honest i dont know two many guys that have gone down besides my self and 3 others which 2 were on cruisers but one was killed when a lady didnt see him and pulled out infront of him he had the right of way and my ex girl freinds cousin when a drunk driver crossed into his lane and hit him head on amazingly he lived. my freind on a sport bike had an old lady hit him and he was killed two it wasnt his fault again but he didnt have his helmet on and when a 350-400 pound bike lands on your head chances of living are slim to non.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

ORIGINAL: telgren

not to pick a fight but im just curious where u get thouse numbers from?

i dont see harley guys wear gear most of time except helmets but there is a helmet law in ny. but at the same time from my experienece most guys on cruiser dont ride as hard as guys on sport bikes.

but to be honest i dont know two many guys that have gone down besides my self and 3 others which 2 were on cruisers but one was killed when a lady didnt see him and pulled out infront of him he had the right of way and my ex girl freinds cousin when a drunk driver crossed into his lane and hit him head on amazingly he lived. my freind on a sport bike had an old lady hit him and he was killed two it wasnt his fault again but he didnt have his helmet on and when a 350-400 pound bike lands on your head chances of living are slim to non.
I read an article, and looked at the national highway traffic institute's numbers on crashes and the types of bikes that get involved in most accidents. Turns out that most of them are cruisers, average rider age is over 40, and a good portion of them involve alchohol in one way shape or form, usually their own consumption.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tattoos and bandannas make you invincible, dont you kids know this? besides gear is for squids!!!!![sm=vader.gif]

Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Retired Moderator

I used the term squid in place for the word "dumbass"......because it pretty much means the same thing.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i was fawkin watchin american chopper last night and senior was riding around in his typical cut off shirt, jeans and boots. no gloves, to helmet and im like that is just freakin crazy ! but then later they showe dhim riding a different bike and he had gear on. but i think it was mostly because the 1st time he was in cali and then when he has full gear on he was back home where it snows lol

Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM

here is squid wiki style...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid%28motorcycle%29

my use of the word squid would describe someone underknowledged when it comes to motorcycles, often under dressed and/or riding irresponsiblity withot regard for their or others safety. there are alot of cruisers here, more than sportbikes i could probably argue. you have your goldwingers, then you have your cruisers (who are 70% of the time geared up), then you have your harleys. i always wondered, what is the idea with a leather vest? i could understand chaps and hell maybe even a bandana, but what the hell is with the vest?

Quick Reply: squid ?