Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sport riders vs. cruisers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport riders vs. cruisers

I notice that alot of sport bike riders gear up with jackets and full helmets, but riders of cruiser mainly go in vest or short sleeve shirts. If you go down rather on a street bike or sport bike you geting road rash, so why you crusiers guys never wear protection?

just a thought.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM

They think they are badass

Ever see that south park episode about motorcycle riders? Classic.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^****! lol

Old 06-25-2010, 01:46 PM

I wonder why there is a difference in what sportbike riders and cruiser riders consider full gear.
I dont know how good an open face helmet is in case of a crash, but I have never seen a cruiser rider with a full face helmet.

But I also see the occasional squid on a sportbike with a full face helmet and gloves, but wears shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt that flies around his back while riding

There's more squids on sportbikes than on cruisers.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by DetroitF4i
I wonder why there is a difference in what sportbike riders and cruiser riders consider full gear.
I dont know how good an open face helmet is in case of a crash, but I have never seen a cruiser rider with a full face helmet.

But I also see the occasional squid on a sportbike with a full face helmet and gloves, but wears shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt that flies around his back while riding

There's more squids on sportbikes than on cruisers.
So if u wear a half shell helmet with gloves and sunglasses and shorts/t-shirt/shoes....does that make u a squid since ur not wearing a full face?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM

I see many, many sportbike riders wearing nothing other than -shirts, shorts, sandals, and sunglasses.
Most people I see on cruisers have sunglasses, leather jackets and jeans.

I ride both, on the 600rr I have a helmet, long sleeve shirt, jeans, and gloves at all times. On the cruiser its usually long sleeves, jeans, gloves and a full face helmet for long rides, sunglasses if I'm not leaving the city limits.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator - Retired

I saw 5 guys on bikes on my way home from work today and none of them had helmets on. There were 4 cruisers and an old guy on a new BMW. I'll admit that 4 in a row without helmets seemed like even more than usual.... but there are a ton of them out there.
I haven't seen a sportbike rider without a helmet in weeks.
I think these people honestly believe that gear isn't necessary because they aren't "those dam speed demons on crotch rockets", and at regular speeds they are tougher than trees, cages, and pavement?
I don't know......

All the cruiser guys I ride with, though, wear half helmets, gloves, and sometimes jackets/boots.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-25-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 PM

A local kid I went to high school with just got into an accident on his 600rr last night. Apparently he was messing around another kid on a ninja 500, doing about 100mph and rear ended him. He had no helmet on and is currently brain dead and is being kept alive by life support so they can harvest his organs. The kid on the 500 had a helmet and jacket on and is in stable condition.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 PM

I see guys here in Laramie without helmets all the time. Actually, I see more guys on sportbikes without helmets than I do guys on cruisers. That will reverse in a few weeks when Sturgis fires up. Bikers will drive around Nebraska into Wyoming on their way north because of Nebraska's helmet laws.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM

My gf was a Harley rider, and a lot more sensible than most but still not wearing a full face helmet or any armour. When I turned her to the dark side I made sure she got proper gear. Last Tuesday she got rear ended while waiting to make a right turn; the bike got punted about 20 feet down the street, on its side with one of her feet trapped underneath. She's sore as hell, but walked away without a scratch thanks to her gear. The cops and paramedics who responded were pretty damn impressed by her gear, apparently they're a lot more accustomed to scraping squids off the pavement.

Quick Reply: Sport riders vs. cruisers