Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Speed Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
RCR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Camera

ORIGINAL: SchiraF4I

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

We have had a few on state highways like rt 30 and 22 here in pittsburgh....there have been some on 376....I used to make it a habit to go past it so fast that it didn't display my speed...
I remember watching something on that. I think the speed was around 160+ to go past without it catching..
Myth busters did it. Spray can, reflective film and out run it. Nothing worked.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 PM

ya that spray can stuff isnt that expensive...I have saw it in mag's, says it works but I have never personally saw it...I generally dont run red lights so I dotn worry about them...

Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: RCR

ORIGINAL: SchiraF4I

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

We have had a few on state highways like rt 30 and 22 here in pittsburgh....there have been some on 376....I used to make it a habit to go past it so fast that it didn't display my speed...
I remember watching something on that. I think the speed was around 160+ to go past without it catching..
Myth busters did it. Spray can, reflective film and out run it. Nothing worked.
tootshay, I watched it in Speed. The guy was driving some little white car and the camera didn't even respond when he flew past it.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM

I've been clocked by radar on my bike before but never LASER..... I know cops are trained to aim for a cars front tag with a laser cause its flat and returns the signal well, what about bikes? theres not much flat on the front, does a laser even work on a bike?

Old 06-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speed & red light cameras are just revenue raisers, their just there to trap the unaware.
My brother & I where talking about this yesterday, if they were serious, its just a matter of installing a GPS type device in all vehicles & presto anyone who speeds gets busted, trouble with that though everyone would then stick to the speed limit & no money for the state coffers.
There are a few states here that want to reintroduce the front number plate on bikes cos they can't stand the fact that some bikes are speeding through front on radar cameras & not getting pinged (inconsiderate bastards). Our state introduced speed cameras outside schools, but they operate 24/7, government said "All money raised with go to helping poor crippled children" or some such nonsense, to stop any protest. All in all, I consider speed cameras a cynical ploy by government bodies to maintain a money stream & has nothing at all to do with safety.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:12 PM

Welcome to Britain! Fixed roadside speed cameras, hand held speed traps, stop light cameras, in fact, Britain has more CCTVs than anywhere else. If that don't get you, the helicoptors will, especially on bike night down at Poole Quay.Talk about a money making racket! Then to top it off the call it "The Road Safety Partnership". Safety my ****! Maybe that's why when they first came out they were painted grey and hidden behind trees, signs, etc. Now they are bright yellow and still a joke and a hazard. Look at the skid marks in front of every speed camera in the land. Idiots just slow down for the fixed camera and then drop the hammer once past. But...they are known to have a second camera in the back of a white van a couple of hundred yards up the road! Sneaky! The portable cameras are the worst as they can set one up anywhere, I found out in my old MR2 Turbo on the Ringwood Road. Cameras can't see dangerous driving, drunk driving, in fact the only thing that they do is nail you for speeding. Local councils and PDs love them coz of the money they bring in. But trying to pass it off as a "safety" issue sucks.