Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Speed Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Camera

I really don't think i can do 25 on my bike... It is just an ackward speed on the bike...
ORIGINAL: Rod38um

Is it just me? It seems like most posted speed limits are ridiculously slow when I'm on my bike, I mean painfully slow.....LOL
They seem just fine in my truck! LOL

Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM

Do these cameras take pictures from the front?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I know a few years back when i lived in Portland OR they had installed i think 6 stoplight cameras in assorted areas. They did however say on all the news channels and in all the papers where they were being intstalled. There was no trickery and in fact they wanted you to know, so if you still blew the light you really had no one to blame, you were warned.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM

i believe most stoplight cameras take pics from the front.

so, i wudnt worry about it too much.

i know that we have a couple different kinds of speed cameras here in CA.

1.) we got the permanently mounted ones on poles, they read your speed until you exceed the limit by more than like 6 or 7 mph then they either go blank or flash slow down in red.

2.) we got the trailer ones that just read your speed, really fun to mess with, come up to it at like 25 then punch it and watch it skip to 45.

3.) in CA the law states that a cop can hide behind any permanent scructure (bushes, signs, buildings, etc.) to a certain extent, they cannot shoot rader from behind parked cars, or non-fixed objects..

4.) then we have the doozy.. its a trailer mounted speed camera that looks just like #2 BUT johnny law will be sitting half a bock after the trailer with a reciever telling him what the trailer was/is reading.

waste of my tax dollars...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Rod38um

Right now we have them in Columbus Ohio and Cincinnatti is trying to get them (stoplight cams) People see a yellow light, see traffic on their a$$ and they instinctivly punch it to get thru, its safer than slamming on your brakes. But in Columbus, you get a ticket mailed to you for that move. Slam on the brakes and get slammed in the rear.....hey! its the other guys fault. sucks if your the other guy! LOL I dont know how we let this kind of thing happen in America?

Cincinnati doesnt have any that I know of right now, but a little further north in my town, middletown, there everywhere....

and blueash have speed cameras on those things that show you your speed to try to make you slow down....

Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 AM
RCR

ORIGINAL: ta8218

Do these cameras take pictures from the front?
We have alot of these here in So Cal. They take three pictures, One at a wide angle to show the offence, one of the rear license plate and one of the driver (windshield shot). They arespot on.

I have had three sent to me already from my crews running lights and it is pretty easy to tell who was driving. I just fill out the paperwork explaining it wasn't me and give them my employees info and they send them a ticket.

Hell on one Blvd alone we have 4 of them. Localy I would guess we have 35 to 40 of them. The worst part about these/any tickets anymore is that if you fight them you have to pay the full bail amount to go to court. GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT!!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 AM

ya those shots are dead on...my dad got one last month in the mail...3 shots like posted above

but they say they can only make out the lic's plate on about 1/2 the photos they take is what a P.O. told me...I know what lights to run/not run but we have probably about 8-10 lights in my town with them and its not a very big town...

as far as the speed camers, I have only saw those on the things that show you speed limit, I havent got a ticket from one but I assume it sake a pic from the front? they have them in a few towns near me, they say on them they take video....so I dunno...

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Oh man, I keep praying this crap doesn't make it to Pittsburgh. Yeah, although it is true that I'm mostly opposed to the speed cams because I speed, it's also a privacy issue and an accuracy issue. I mean, think about this...when a cop gets you on a radar, he has to have had training for the device he was using and the device has to have been properly calibrated...all within a certain amount of time from when the ticket was written. You start letting automated machines do the dirty work, who's to say they are accurate at calculating your speed or if it was even you that it clocked?

The stop light cams don't have this problem so much...And I do have to go through the occasional red light too...whenever I've been sitting at an intersection alone for 5 minutes and it doesn't pick up my damn bike.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM

well another thing no one has said about the red light cameras, is a few cities that got them have shortend the yellow light at them. so its become entrapment. Every one is use to one speed so u think u got time and its red in about half the time. or they put the camera's up at points were the speed limit changes but the sign is kinda hidden. I hate thoes things. I know plenty of people that have been screwed by them

Old 06-29-2008, 12:52 PM

so...um, what's wrong with stopping for a red light...I don't get it. It's red, it's the other lane's turn...people drive and cross on it and stuff, everyone has to go at some point...seems simple. Just come to a stop, adjust your *****, and your gloves, crack the visor, put it back in gear...by then it's almost green. Easy. Saves lives, too.

Quick Reply: Speed Camera