Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sooo... I almost crashed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo... I almost crashed.

Long story short, Major Freeway in Houston.. Going about 85 I get passed by a Corvette and a Rustang..

So I keep up for about 1 exit until my front left plastic starts pealing off my 07 600RR...

WTF? At first it's just the left ram air.. and only about 3 inches like I lost a screw..

No problem I reach down with my left hand and push it back on and just hold it there as hard as I can while slowing down.

Well next thing I know the entire left side plastic rips off and is hanging by the turn signals.

OH ****! Now I reach down *keep in mind Im going about 65 since if I stop I'll get run over.. Houston is not very forgiving on a Friday.." I grab the plastic and hope I can just hang on to it when it breaks off and I can hold it..

Now I'm looking to pull over...

Wonderful theres no side anything on this part of the freeway..

Concrete slabs from left lane to the far right, theres no where to go that isint a lane...

The Plastic breaks free.. and somehow I manage to hold on to it... Cool... Graffiti plastic's aren't cheap... as I try to put it on the tank when I raise it up it acts like a parachute and almost knocks me off the back of the bike lol..

I get it back down and against the tank... Cool.. I can ride home.. Whatever..

Then I realize my front tire is flat.. FML there's a turn in the freeway.. i can't turn hardly at all...

Somehow I manage to ride about 3 more miles on a flat front tire until there is a part of the road where I can pull over without getting creamed by traffic..

Anyway.. Be careful out there and check your screws, tire pressure, and everything EVERY time before you get on your bike to make sure something like this doesnt happen to you..

Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the hell did the fairing come off? Did a bunch of tabs break? You didn't notice before that your tire was a bit soft! 85 on a flat tire sounds noticeable..

Glad you are ok though. I once nearly lost my backback on the highway because obe of the plastic adjusters snapped. It swung around me and I sort of held it with my left hand hanging off the right arm.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 AM

amazing tale. i think it would have been funny to watch from a car :P

Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Damn Rojer - any idea as to the cause for the fairing coming off and the flat?

Sounds like you're being sabotaged. Any angry Ex's floating about?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Did all of this occur on Saturday around 6:00pm?

Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Thats common sense bro!! You should check your bike before every ride... lol, so stuff like that doesnt happen...

Thats a crazy story though glad you are O K

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flat tire and fairing rips off but you don't crash? Did you get shot down by a bunch of women earlier that night? Cause it sounds like you banked your luck for later

Good you came out ok. And we don't have to mourn the loss of another of your bikes either

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM

He was in TX, the corvette driver prolly got jealous and shot at him...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, glad you are okay!!!!!!

Before I got my new fairing kit, my dad cut the tie wraps off the old one and the front fell off.... some of them were getting brittle and snapping anyway. And a ton of my hardware was missing.... I've had that thing up at around 130mph and figured I should slow down in case my bike fell apart. Yikes. Can't believe this actually happened to someone. I also had a flat front tire the other day.... Nobody ever said I was smart. Again, glad you are alive and well!

Quick Reply: Sooo... I almost crashed.