Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sooo cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool thanks. I rode to work in snow today, I know very naughty of me but I quite enjoyed it, I don't think I got above 30 mph, had to ride carefully, took a good deal of concentration and I like that. Too much throttle and the back end would slide out, no heavy braking or harsh steering, I had to go past a van which was sliding around on a hill and he was probably a touch upset that I managed where he failed. I would advise everyone to try it at least once, it was not as bad as I was imagining but you can not take any risks at all in those conditions, really forces you to ride to the best of your ability.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You're a braver man than me Gungadin!

I did it once during a blizzard in the Himalayas in 1995 - the brake shoes on the 500cc Enfield Bullett froze, and after lying it down in the snow about 6 or 7 times while trying to get to Khadung La, I gave up - rode slowly down the mountain to the hotel in Leh. That was when I discovered the frozen drum brakes! Someone further down the hill asked me why I returned, and I answered "Because I could hear the Angels singing!"

Cheers, SB

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I'm not surprised you could hear angels singing in those conditions, it's amazing you are alive to tell the tale! Sounds like quite the experience and that is why i do some silly things as to me life is all about experiences and it's all we truly have, I try to take in as many as possible!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CommonMistake
I would advise everyone to try it at least once, it was not as bad as I was imagining but you can not take any risks at all in those conditions, really forces you to ride to the best of your ability.
Riding a 400+ lb street bike with street bike tires in the snow would probably not be the smartest thing I've ever done and I would never do it again. I used to ride my 500cc enduro to work all the time in the winter, snow or not, but it was much lighter and at least had tires to somewhat deal with the snow.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

common mistake: how's your weather ?? have you made any adjustments???
well anyway hope everything good and you've gotten warmer!!!
Jay..

Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Just being smart ***....

Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Yep, you have succeeded in your mission of being a smart ***. We've had 30c + plus days for a few days now. But of course in May, June , July we're lucky if the temp gets over 0c.

Different parts of the world, just the way it goes. If you don't like the temp where you could always move somewhere else.

I constantly complain about where I live, spend six months of the year burning wood to try and keep warm, then the next six months burning electricity to try and keep cool. But would I live anywhere else? probably not.

Last edited by gotcbr; 12-26-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yum: as im leaving the house this morning, it is literally 25 and says : it feels like 18 with the wind chill . and I have to say , its actually not that bad of a ride and yes im still on bike.. I just love the expression on peoples face as I whip by them in my hotdog suit..
ill tell you though, if I ever hit the number.. I will be buying a nice little villa on one of your islands.. you are very lucky to be able to live where you do..
the funny thing is, that's probably cool weather for you right???
jay

Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM

Electric Riding Gear is the ticket!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Hi jason I have upgraded my riding gear to a materiel one RST pro series and I only need to wear a t shirt and jumper underneath and I feel fine, I bought some kickers for my bars but they are not as good as I'd like, the keep the main force of the wind off but I still get a draft, it is bearable now though and I can feel my fingers so it is an improvement.

Quick Reply: Sooo cold