Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sooo cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo cold

Wow there was one hell of a frost this morning, 0600. So I donned my leathers as well as extra layers and set off to work. Roads were mostly ok but there were patches of ice and frozen mush. Not far from home I reached a Police slow sign with little flashing lights just before a steep down hill. It was all the way accross the road so I took it that they had run out of road closed signs but as I sat contemplating this a police officer came round the corner, He commented on my braveness for being out on two wheels then told me the hill was an inch thick with ice and a lorry had gone down it and jacknifed and was now sitting with the front end in the wall and the rear end tin the embankment. The policeman was a rather jolly fellow and ended the conversation by saying "well at least he found it and not you." Damn right I thought I'd have just slid all the way down the hill and into the fence at the bottom catapulting myself into the beck. So I had to go the long way round so it was like 17 miles to work. Out on the open nice clear road travelling at around 50 I had to dip my lights from main beam for an oncoming car, now the lights on these old CBR's are not the best so once I'd dipped them along with the glare of the oncoming car my visibility was drastically reduced and just at that point in time I hit one of those frozen mush parts that I must admit was not expecting on such a busy road. I nearly went there and then, my feet came down as the bike slid around abit but I remained upright. My heart was beating hard but it calms quite quickly once I realize that all is well and I'm not sliding along the road o my ****. But a mighty cold ride to work, my fingers were excruciatingly painful once I arrived at work and once I got into a warmer environment it got worse before it got better. I would like to say that that is the end of my cold weather riding but unfortunately the bike is all I have and I am at work again tomorrow, the frost is already mighty thick and there is the possibility of snow where I live, I wonder if a pair of marigolds under my gloves would help keep my hands warmer? Any other winter riders out there do take care I rarely see other riders on the roads at this time of year but the ones I do usually wave as we share a special bond that a lot of other motorcyclists don't understand.
Take care all of you!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I've heard people using Marigolds, just make sure they and your gloves are not too tight, you need the blood flow to keep the fingers warm.

A more permanent fix would be bar muffs, something like these.

SuperBike Motorcycle Scooter Handle Bar Mitts Muffs Gloves Hand Warmer- Black | eBay

Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider getting a set of insulated over-alls or a ski suit.
If you keep the core warm, your body can take care of the extremities.
Neck-socks are good, too. Don't forget silk/nylon glove liners and insulated under-wear.

Without the right gear you shouldn't ride, though.
If you are half-frozen and suffering from hypothermia,
your alertness and reflexes are taking a serious hit.
Not a good idea when you're biking in extreme conditions.
You want to be at your best game, when riding at the limits,
(and you are, don't doubt it)

While I won't discourage your choice. I would suggest...that you pursue it with the correct gear
and planning needed to survive, successfully.

That includes route-planning...
Stay away from roads with sharp/blind corners and steep grades.
Go the extra couple of miles to take the safer route.

Leave EARLY, so you don't feel rushed to get there.

The conditions, alone, are enough of a challenge.
Reducing any additional difficulties that you CAN control, is a good idea.

You got extremely lucky on the ride you just took.
You need to remove the 'luck' part of the equation.
Other-wise, I fear for you.

Ride smart and stay alive, Ern

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good info above.

Additionally...

* Get a heated grip kit. When hands are warm, you'll be more comfortable.
* Get a Zippo hand-warmer...Zippo - Outdoor. This has been a hunter's accessory for decades (I could tell stories). ;-) Its good for having during those long cold rides too! :-)

Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 PM

Thanks guys that's some good advice there, I shall alter my route today, I shall definitely be getting a pair of those bar mitts they look toasty, I have a set of winter riding gear to collect from my parents, trouble is they live 75 miles away and I really want to keep the riding to a minimum when it's like this. I find with the number of layers I have on my core isn't too bad it's my hands that really have the trouble, I have a really old pair of gauntlets, leather with the fleece lining, they were my uncles from his very early Norton so I look like a bit of a plank wearing them and they are so thick they can be a bit of a hindrance when it comes to indicating and lights but otherwise they keep my hands warmer. Yeah but leaving early is really a good idea too, that way I can ride slower which reduces the speed the cold air hits you thus reducing the wind chill factor plus my mind can concentrate on the job at hand instead of worrying about punctuality. Right thanks guys I'm off for another day's work. Take it easy.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey common,
I feel your "winter" pain.
i'm still riding and i'm right in the middle of boston... i'm actually looking out the window this minute with snow falling and hitting the ground..
heres what I use for gear, this time of year...
i have something on under my jeans and shirt.
and i usually tape my ankles so the wind stays out!!
i also instead of a sno-suit wear a one piece construction suit.. i pulled the pad on my leather so i can slip this over the hotdog suit and my visabilty to others is slightly higher..
you can buy this at walmart or any big-box clothing store..

the gloves i wear are called first gear (Kilimanjaro) these gloves were originally over a 100 bucks (American) but you can get them for around eighty here..Firstgear Kilimanjaro Gloves - RevZilla
and i'm sure if you shopped around more maybe even cheaper. but I've ridden in high twenty's with these and after a twenty min ride hands were still nice and warm..
what i like about my get-up is i can still move around.. the construction gear i bought when i used to run a front-loader and a bobcat in the winter and ive never been cold in that thing and its gotten in the twentys and been plenty warm.. once your nice and comfortable you'll feel a lot better about your ride in to work..

edit: just wanted to add something about my suit.. once i get to work, there are zippers on the legs that open all the way up from my ankle to my waist and as soon as i step into the building i can have my suit on and off in less than twenty seconds. it slips off and over my boots/sneakers in seconds and then just hang it like a jacket.

jay

Last edited by jasonchristopher; 12-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Going to get some of those Kilimanjaro gloves. And with the handle bar mitts do you use them in conjunction with your gloves?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM

The mitts will keep your hands warm, but won't provide protection if you come off. So yeah you still need to wear gloves.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM

yeah but I can fit my gloves inside them though?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Yeah no problem

Quick Reply: Sooo cold