Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

As soon as I can ride again ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 05:35 PM
Default RE: As soon as I can ride again ...

No, you don't need to lean off to flip a bike around, but leaning takes strain off the tires, and you can have traction at greater lean angles.

Old 08-13-2008 | 05:54 PM

A friend of mine, IanJ, has a series of videos on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzB5oriblk

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=IanJSeattle

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:28 PM

greater lean angles mean sharper turns...and you get to the finish line faster than otherwise

Old 08-13-2008 | 07:36 PM

Thinking of a way to attach my camera to my jacket.

Old 08-13-2008 | 08:11 PM
Retired Moderator

Watched the first video, Woot. Your friend did a very good job. Props to him. Is he Canadian, too? I didn't hear a single "EH". Probably just a gross assumption on my part, eh?

Old 08-13-2008 | 10:32 PM
From: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

At GNC and other nutrients places they have weight gainers for some lifters... it might work for you. They have lik.e 1000 or more calories a serving and its a shake.

Old 08-13-2008 | 10:46 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ yea but if you arent lifting you dont want that, you will turn into a fat piece of

Old 08-14-2008 | 01:47 AM
|

ORIGINAL: lonewolfcbr

How many years riding experience do you have? More than me im sure...but your body..and the bike...act as a gyroscope....you cant sit on your bike like a stick in the mud...yes it counter steers but there are instances where you HAVE to move your body...im sure that the motogp guys lean and hang off for no reason though..(sarcasm)
hey wolfy :-)

I have been riding for 17 years now since I was 16 and I had very intensive tuition on counter steering from my dad (a biker for 40 years at the time) during my first year on the road ... I have practised this technique non stop ever since ..

..your body and the bike dont act as a gyroscope ..
they simply cant!! ..the only thing that can act as a gyroscope is a rotating mass and that means the wheels of the bike, predominently the front wheel in our case .. check out the definition of gyroscope and gyroscopic precession ..*that* is the phenomenon we are using here .. sure "leaning off" has its place and its a very subjective issue .. it tends to be something some choose to do once in a bend but for the purposes of actually making the bike kick over in the first place its counter steering that does this ... more to the point of what I am talking about is not the single bend you go round where you may choose to lean off or not, but the series of fast tight S bends where the bike is flipped quickly from side to side, in this instance and especially in the instance of obstacle avoidence ..then its counter steering alone that will save your neck ...

In that bike I posted about above the one with the fixed bars ..they proved that no matter what the guys did ..climbing around all over the bike and trying to lean off it they just could not make it turn ...

Read this bit again its important ...

At this writing, we have run nearly 100 riders of all experience levels on this double barred bike. It has made believers out of every single one in the actuality of countersteering of course. Even at speeds of no more than 20 to 35 mph, no matter how much you tug or push or pull or jump around on the bike, the best we saw was that the bike wiggled and became somewhat unstable. Did it turn? Not really. Would it turn at higher speed? Absolutely not. Could you avoid something in your path? No Way. Could anyone quick turn the bike? Hopeless! The best result was one of my riding coaches. He got into a full hang-off position and was able to persuade the bike, by jerking on it, to start on a wide, wide arc in the paddock at Laguna Seca, a piece of asphalt that is about 500 X 800 feet. Like turning an oil tanker ship, start at noon and be on the turning arc at around 1:00 PM. It wasnt smooth and it wasnt very effective. We now call this bike "The NO BS Bike". There are no doubts in anyones mind after they ride it that they have been countersteering all along. No doubts.
You can hear riders, who believed in the body-steering method, laughing in their helmets at 100 yards away once they get those solid mounted bars in their hands and try to body-steer the bike. They just shake their heads. No B.S.

Its the ability to quickly use counter steering competently and quickly that saves you on obstacle avoidence and also makes that bike flip from side to side in a repeating set of S bends ...

Jules

Old 08-14-2008 | 01:54 AM

They go hand in hand. If staying upright and counter-steering were most efficient, I'm sure MotoGP would be doing it.

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:00 AM

Here's how I mount my camera (My bike and car looking at its best with a nice clean wash) . I really don't like it in this position though. It gives a false perspective of distance and it doesn't capture everything I'd like it too. I'm considering an alternative to this, which would be a helmet cam. Possibly the next best thing to do.

Quick Reply: As soon as I can ride again ...