Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

something looks fishy

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default something looks fishy

I was looking at the Autotrader website yesterday for motorcycles and i came across an add for an 07 CBR1000rr with roughly 1500 mileson it, perfect shape for $4600.00what a deal! it had a Toronto Contact number and an email address, so iemailed him about it and this is what he responded,

"Hello,
And thank you for your email and interest in buying my motorcycle.The bike is available for $4600,00.It is in very good condition,as you can see from the pics I sent you.Check your attachments to see the pics.There are no mechanical problems with the bike,no scratches,never been down.I never raced the bike and was always garaged.The engine run perfect and are only1536 miles on the bike.I have the title in hand.It's a clear title,no liens on it.Right now I am in United Kingdom,in London,with my work and I'm gone stay here for 2 more years.The bike it is here with me,but there will not be any problems in shipping to you.I brought the bike here and was gone register it,but the laws don`t permit me.The bike must be 5 years old in order to be registered here.So,the only option I have is to sell the bike.The bike will be shipped from London,UK.You will not have to pay additional taxes just the price for it.It will come with helmet, jacket and gloves.The delivery can take up to 4-5 business days until the bike will arrive to you.You`ll have to be home to sign the papers to receive it.I will insure the bike,so if anything will happen on the way to you it will be covered.The total price you will have to pay with shipping included is $4600,00.So,please check the pics and get back to me as soon as you can and let me know if we can start the deal.Thank you"

This obviously has to be a scam dont you think??? i just dont see why they would pay the 50 bucks or so to place this in the autotrader. It also got me curious when it says, "The bike must be 5 years old in order to be registered there" I wonder if thats true or not?????? i dont see how that makes sence?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: something looks fishy

yes ...scam...

Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM

A scam for sure. He probably can afford $50 since this scam has worked before. If you think it is too good to be true = it is. Shop local, they are more expensive because you actually get a motorcycle when you pay.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM

have you ever heard that if it sounds to good to be true it usually is.
don't take any unnessary chances w/your $ unless $ is no option for you.
forget buyinganything out of the country, it frustrating enough to buy from another state,
i've done it twice "it's pretty scarry to give someone $ and then worry if you'll be getting it".

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Dr.Fingers

Right now I am in "anywhere besides a real place in the country that it is for sale in"

I edited the quote a little, anytime you see a good deal and the line above, you can just stop reading.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM

ive come acrosss a ton of these on craigslist.... usually what i do is tell them that i have family/friend in the country/area that is going to take a look at it b4 i wire the money, guarantee ull never hear from them again

Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i would never send money out of country for a purchase that big. Im gonna feel really bad for the person that does, i hope no one bites on that add. I've come across quite a few scams similar to that one, usually in emails or on free classified sites, never seen one on a pay classified site before. Autotrader is pretty reputable, i'll email them and tell them whats up, they'll probably remove it ...

Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 AM

Damn, definitely sounds like a scam. Never had that before on auto trader.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: usetheffours

A scam for sure. Shop local, they are more expensive because you actually get a motorcycle when you pay.
+100000

Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM

i never called or emailed the guy on it, but a few months ago i was going through the cycle trader magazine and remember seeing a 2005 cbr 1000rr for $4200 i believe and told my friend about it cause he has a 2004 cbr 1000rr, but he got his for $7xxx. i knew it was too good to be true.

Quick Reply: something looks fishy